Archeage inspired question/problem part 1

zdoofop

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Noneofyourbeeswaxistan
I have 2 questions that are completely unrelated but inspired by a short revisit to Archeage. They will be 2 separate threads.

So, this thread is devoted to the following question: Archeage's "class" system is comprised of a number of skill trees that are combined in a variety of ways. Of course, only a small fraction of these combinations are viable, which is inevitable, I mean you can't really mix support and dps, you wouldn't be very effective at either. The problem is that, of these viable builds, there is a great deal of imbalance, which results in a higher demand of Mages than Archers. How do you guys plan on combating such imbalances when it comes to Em8ER's combat customization?

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
I have 2 questions that are completely unrelated but inspired by a short revisit to Archeage. They will be 2 separate threads.

So, this thread is devoted to the following question: Archeage's "class" system is comprised of a number of skill trees that are combined in a variety of ways. Of course, only a small fraction of these combinations are viable, which is inevitable, I mean you can't really mix support and dps, you wouldn't be very effective at either. The problem is that, of these viable builds, there is a great deal of imbalance, which results in a higher demand of Mages than Archers. How do you guys plan on combating such imbalances when it comes to Em8ER's combat customization?
AS LONG I CAN HAVE MY PLAYSTYLE: EXPLOSIVE SPLASH DAMAGING AOE SHIT. DESPITE THE SLOW FIRE RATE AND LONGER COOLDOWN. I'M HAPPY LIKE A DOWN SYNDROME.

ALL ELS. I'M KEEPING MY EYES ON THIS THREAD.

Kouyioue

Aug 1, 2016
Hmmm...... Type Matchups ! ! !

..... that can't be easily mowed down simply by power leveling.(yes, in a horizontal-P game, gearing up is still power leveling)

Last edited:

Daynen

Aug 3, 2016
Part of what makes this question challenging to answer is the manner in which we reflexively imagine "support" and "DPS" in a game that doesn't yet exist. Good money down says the absolute first things that pop into peoples' heads are healing and big damage numbers. Given what little we know of Grummz's current vision of the game, those terms may not be as applicable as they are in a typical shooter or online game. Given that this is in fact a "shooter first" kind of game, in his own words, then it's very possible that "DPS" may not be much of a "role" at all, since literally everyone will be shooting at things quite regularly.

"Support" may be one of those things that just works out where everyone has to carry their own medkits or whatnot due to the physics and nature of the game. We don't know yet. I think that with a strong enough core of abilities for everyone, a player's role may take backseat to their ability to just make smart decisions and get things done. Remember, Grummz has already said he envisions this more like a persistent "battlefield" rather than "WoW with guns." Try to frame your thoughts more around that and less around the RPG conventions we're all so used to; it's already changed the way I'm imagining the game.

Nevyn

Deepscanner
Dec 11, 2016
My primary desire. I want to be able to learn everything on one character.
Forcing me to make a new character simply to change play styles sucks. Though sure I shouldn't be able to do everything at once, and should take some effort like returning to base to change my load out, but Alts should not be required for either storage space (Aka an unlimited hanger is pretty much a must) or to explore different play styles.

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
My primary desire. I want to be able to learn everything on one character.
Forcing me to make a new character simply to change play styles sucks. Though sure I shouldn't be able to do everything at once, and should take some effort like returning to base to change my load out, but Alts should not be required for either storage space (Aka an unlimited hanger is pretty much a must) or to explore different play styles.
This is why I had really hoped the Omniframe would truly be omni, I hated having to individually "level up" each frame separately in Firefall.

Nevyn

Deepscanner
Dec 11, 2016
The Omni-frame wasn't ideal, be much better to be able to level individual abilities (So to speak, with whatever progression system exists, I'm sure there will be some progression system so you can't just jump in at the best end of a new ability), but at least it was all on one character so I had access to all the generic unlocks, reputation bonuses and backpack.

zdoofop

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Noneofyourbeeswaxistan
The Omni-frame wasn't ideal, be much better to be able to level individual abilities (So to speak, with whatever progression system exists, I'm sure there will be some progression system so you can't just jump in at the best end of a new ability), but at least it was all on one character so I had access to all the generic unlocks, reputation bonuses and backpack.
According to @Ronyn any character can access all 3 frames.

Jul 26, 2016
Australia
I think the idea of an aimless character type is ok for those who have good MMO experience.

I keep harking back to AO, only becuase I think they got this down pat and allowed players to auto assign abilities or you place them where you'd like to.

I really liked the artstyle of character selection.. it was very futuristic.

NB. The last class <3