Apparel types & thoughts

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
With our meks that are represented by different corporation's this made me think of Apb where certain outfits would be Represented too for the enforcers and criminals.

How about there is a sub division of the Main manufacturing groups for the mek outfits.
E.g. In firefall they had Astrek, Omnidyne, Accord.

So lets say for outfits they have in those groups the sub division of outfits like

MPA (Mechanized Performance Apparel)

These outfits have various offering primarily focused on performance such as:

Reaper Standard Base outfit:

- low thermal leakage harder to be tracked by certain enemies and weapon types
- Adaptive camo harder to be seen by % correlating to the right camo for the environment in.
- lighter fabric matrix, less restrictive and gives pilot improved agility
- Compression nano tech, gives pilot extra time to continue on reducing bleed out

Each Corp would have a strength/con so an example Omnidyne would bring more armor this means their outfits could differ from the usual Reaper base outfit

Even though the line is in MPA the outfit may be slightly heavier because of its focus with protection.

LAS (Leisure Apparel Spec)

- Beach outfits revealing and various styles.
- Party/event various styles for holiday events and more.
- Sport e.g. Astrek Race team jacket
- Other e.g. diapers and a cape

These are more cosmetic and offer no extras in performance they can be used to switch the look so instead of changing outfits each time there could be 2 spaces one for your leisure look and one for you main look this could be changed by the radial menu just like in the demo.

Having functional outfits that aids in the player can bring the pilot ways to play out of the mek. The Mek will certainly bring the most survival to the player. If the pilot decided out of choice or situation to play out of the mek, i'd certainly feel it could be a good option until they decide to hop back or even use the mek as a diversion to draw them.

What do you think?

Aug 14, 2016
Because I'm a believer in function over form I would like to see one of the cloths manufacturers be more utilitarian in their designs. With that in mind because of how I like to as stealth units that do both melee and range fighting I would like to have some thermoptic camouflage with light body armor and eye gear multi-spectrum vision so I can see things outside of the range of visible light. Because of the specialized nature of this outfit the manufacturer would have some ties to the military making outfits for things like spec-ops and covert units.

As for my casual wear. It would but as little as possible, as I don't wear much cloths in real life. And it is not for the reasons most people think. Some of people, like myself, physical conditions that more or less force to wear as little cloths as possible for health reasons. In my case it is having a higher body temperature than most people leading to higher risk of over heating. Wearing more cloths means trapping in more heat. So unless I have to wear something for safely or there is cooling system in the suit, I will just walk around with as little as I can legally get away with.

Hmm... now that I think about it, having cloths for people with different medical conditions would be nice to see. Even if it was mostly for the NPCs to wear. It would add to lore of the world and make things feel more alive and lived in. Because not everyone is the same.

Aug 14, 2016
I don't mind the idea of cloths having stats and stuff linked to them as long as they make sense, utilitarianism and all. As long as we talking in-game money and not real world money, because it is no different from buying weapons and stuff from NPCs. Plus given how the omniframes use a biofeedback system to control them any cloths, or lack there of, can have an effect on the pilot and in turn how the mech moves. As going by level of biofeedback each frame has the pilot can feel pain if the frame gets damaged, this would naturally have pros and cons I don't feel like getting into now.

But in my eyes having cloths with different stats is no different than how work in real life. Summer cloths and winter cloths have different stats, as do workout cloths and work cloths (given the type of work you do you might need to wear armor like hardhat and chainmail and hazmat suit). It makes more sense than a lot of stuff you see in games, like females wearing less cloths and armor somehow given them more defense.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Even though this is a PvE P2P game, I'm gonna go with no cosmetic clothing having stat boosts/abilities. I like the idea of it but I believe it'll splinter the community...badly. Players that'd never buy a cosmetic anyway will go around boo hooing that the game is a P2P P2W game.
I don't mind the idea of cloths having stats and stuff linked to them as long as they make sense, utilitarianism and all. As long as we talking in-game money and not real world money, because it is no different from buying weapons and stuff from NPCs. Plus given how the omniframes use a biofeedback system to control them any cloths, or lack there of, can have an effect on the pilot and in turn how the mech moves. As going by level of biofeedback each frame has the pilot can feel pain if the frame gets damaged, this would naturally have pros and cons I don't feel like getting into now.
How about, instead if the player chooses to play out of the mek, they could have suits with slots sort of like how meks can be customized so could the pilot suit.

There could be a catch as an example the suit stats can only activate when outside the mek. When going back inside the mek, the pilot suit stats would be off and the stats of the mek be taken account.

If the mek was damaged enough that could impact the pilot suit depending when the pilot gets out of the mek. As an example if the pilot was out when the mek is 50% damage the pilot suit would not really be affected if however the pilot was out when the mek is say 80%-90 damaged then the pilot suit could be slightly damaged not sure on the numbers someone can figure a fair number.

So if the mek is damaged then the pilot suit can too just like when you are a pilot in a plane you have to decide when to eject out or in this case hop out of the mek before very serious damage.

In the lore perhaps they did this on purpose to prevent by-passing through the suit to control the mek or vice versa. It was a preventative measure that could slow hackers making it more tougher as the suit systems is different to the mek systems.

So how does the pilot get access to the mek hmm that could be several scans such as analyses of neural impulse, voice analyses to dna matching and alpha numeric codes etc etc.

What happens if the pilot is infected/corrupted the mek could eject the pilot ?
Medical support is required, in extreme cases the mek could see you as a threat either going into lock down mode or firing a distress becon for a dropship to pick it up.

If the infected pilot is corrupted to a point it could alter the dna, and other attributes and this is why the mek could see it differently.

Aug 14, 2016
The thing with biofeedback systems is that the give you a lot of intuitive control over things because they act like an extension of the body. But like I pointed out before there are pros and cons to such systems. One of them things that things like pain and damage can also be transferred back to the user. Now most of the time in stories, and in real life, there are safety locks and such on systems to make sure no real damage put on the user. But there are lots of examples in books, movies, and anime about what can happen to user of those safety systems are turned off or removed. For example of the arm of the mech is broken or destroyed the pilot's arm would also take a lot of damage or even be broken.

I point this out because in some stories even if the pilot's body doesn't take any real long term damage often their suit and/or cloths will take a lot of damage.

I doubt this game would go that far as to have outfits show things like rips and burns in them as they take damage. But seeing NPCs with messed up outfits after a hard battle or while they are being treated by the medics would be a nice touch.

Also, ripped and torn cloths is a fashion choice with some cloths. Grouping up in the 80's and 90's wearing cloths that was cut up with holes in them was just a look some of us had. lol