Any gardeners out there?

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Family members of mine do gardening mostly herbs, fruits/veg i just help out lifting pots or dig some area
when possible.

Particularly like the good smelling one's Lavender, Eucalyptus, Mint etc. Though this year we have had less time so the herbs are particularly good for drinks and to add to food also making the rooms smell great!

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
Fighting with compressing file sizes again. But I am trying my first hugelkultur this year. Off to an amazing start. So please be patient with an update. Lol Down here in South Carolina, I have close to seven months of growing season.

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
Looks like that finally worked. Thank you, liandri.

So to describe all that. I reused all my old materials from last year’s garden beds to make that one. Plus some scrap wood from work for the base.

We had a few trees cut down last year so that aged wood is great. A mix of 1/2” to 3” pieces of wood.

Then filled in all the air gaps with mulch that has been composting for five months.

Put in 2” of dried leaves. Covered with 3”-4” of clay.

Shoveled in 2”-3” of natural soil and added organic blood meal all through out.

Lastly, top it off with a couples inches of a garden soil. We planted heirloom, beef and cherry tomatoes. Last Saturday was six weeks from planting and I had to cut half a foot off the cherry tomatoes. Topping them to keep them closer to 5’. I’ve never heard of 6’ tomato plants before. We also planted sweet and bell peppers. They are all around 3’. The two cherry tomato plants are close to fruiting three dozen tomatoes. The heirloom plants look like they will start changing color in the next 14 days and are getting as big as billiards balls.

I built that frame and planted sweet peas. In three weeks they have latched on the strings and are 2’ tall. Far better success this year. Also just planted some green beans and fresh (green) onions. Plus some marigolds to help drive away bugs. Although I have been happy with Maggie’s Farm spray. Perfectly healthy to use unlike the bulk of pesticides out there.

*edit*

I was losing quite a bit of dirt from settling and drainage. Made adjustments to fix that. I added organic bone meal and topped with another 2” of a top soil.

Blood meal = nitrogen for early growth
Bone meal = phosphate for fruiting

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
I was asked about an update so here it is. Compared to last year’s starter garden beds, this year was a massive improvement. When the weather cools off next month I will be building two more of the hugelkultur beds. I also want to rent a professional grade tiller and prep a 20’ x 16’ area.

Our black cherry tomatoes did amazing. One of them put out over 90 cherry tomatoes. The heirloom tomatoes did ok. Beefsteak tomatoes were very good. Our bell peppers were underwhelming until the last three weeks. The sweet peppers did great!

We had way too much rain, that’s why the peppers only started pumping out a higher volume of fruit the last three weeks. They need soil temps of 85°-90°. The rain did kill our sweet peas. We had them in window boxes and even after stabbing them a dozen times for drainage, still drowned. Vermiculite next year!

Asparagus takes two seasons before it will start producing the edible stalk, but it is growing strong and healthy right now. A few are almost 20” tall.

We transplanted some red raspberries from a friends of my mom’s and have since installed a fence for them to grow up. Maybe they will fruit next season, but I’m planning on two more.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
I was asked about an update so here it is. Compared to last year’s starter garden beds, this year was a massive improvement. When the weather cools off next month I will be building two more of the hugelkultur beds. I also want to rent a professional grade tiller and prep a 20’ x 16’ area.

Our black cherry tomatoes did amazing. One of them put out over 90 cherry tomatoes. The heirloom tomatoes did ok. Beefsteak tomatoes were very good. Our bell peppers were underwhelming until the last three weeks. The sweet peppers did great!

We had way too much rain, that’s why the peppers only started pumping out a higher volume of fruit the last three weeks. They need soil temps of 85°-90°. The rain did kill our sweet peas. We had them in window boxes and even after stabbing them a dozen times for drainage, still drowned. Vermiculite next year!

Asparagus takes two seasons before it will start producing the edible stalk, but it is growing strong and healthy right now. A few are almost 20” tall.

We transplanted some red raspberries from a friends of my mom’s and have since installed a fence for them to grow up. Maybe they will fruit next season, but I’m planning on two more.

That is unfortunate about those peas would growing peas inside a bigger container help?

Knew a work colleague who would put them in her garage and take them out in the sun and bring them back inside because she though someone was stealing the peas. I am sure it could of been some sneaky critters not the neighbor, although we can't be sure these days as someone has stolen my under pants once off the clothes line and it wasn't even windy... perhaps a practical joke or someone saving money on underpants who knows?

Imagine that there is a Reaper's Garden Network

Wonder if the seeds can be made available for those to grow them where they are, guess it would depend on the weather too and what is possible to grow for the space they may have hmm

Saving communities one step at a time!
1662635826158.jpeg
Sponsored by Crixa shake made from 100% shake even a hand shake from the big cheeses if your lucky!

Growing stuff in the garden is tough work though if you could grow stuff in Em8er what could you grow?

- Synthetic donuts from bio-mechanical plants
- Rice from creatures that poop rice out of it's ears
- Medicines from medicinal coconuts that glow in the dark and if that hits your head or cracks the glow is gone!

etc etc