An idea about abilities I had once in FireFall

Jul 26, 2016
Canada
I never requested this on the FireFall forms (since the game was dying), and I wasn't even entirely sure if I really wanted to see this in the game or if anyone would even like the idea.
But if Ember is going to be similar to FireFall gameplay-wise then maybe this is still relevant, so I may as well share it anyway.

Basically in FireFall, I thought it would be neat if we could combine abilities to create "ability combos" or something.
For example, as an Assault, I imagined that you could activate Burn Jets, then Crater, which would cause a fiery explosion on impact, dealing both physical damage to enemies as well as setting them on fire.
Another example as a Mammoth, I imagined that you could grab enemy(s) with Gravity Pull, then activate Charge to slam into them as you're pulling them towards you, dealing lots of damage and sending them flying with a huge knock-back bonus.

Now I don't even know if Ember plans to have an ability system similar to FireFall's, but if it does, maybe this could be something to think about.

I'd like some feedback on how people would feel about something like this being in Ember.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2016
As long as not all the weapons are hitscan, I'm okay with powers like that of Firefall or Paladins/TF2/Battleborn/Overwatch.

In TitanFall 2 there is some weapons that are hitscan and some that ain't. The ones that ain't seem likely to never to be used in the pro scene but are definitely still fun to use and is used by pretty much everyone (pros and non) in the casual area.

The powers in Firefall were great. If used skillfully they could turn some people into juggernauts. Especially when used the right gear/weapons.

Naku

Terraformer
Jul 26, 2016
Combos - if done right - are always fun and good addition to game. One idea i had in FF, but never shared (for similar reasons as OP) was cross-class synergies. For example - mammoth in turret mode would benefit form Engineer bonuses for deployables, firecat lighting up biotech chemicals, recon adding target to sin boosting dmg of other people shootign it, and/or higlighting its weak points.

I like combos, and i even used some back in FF with the assault (yeah... they were jsut kinda combos, but still fun). And for mammoth i don't really know any combos (old Mammoth-Vet... nothing can beat the old ones :D). But, well, cannonball afterburner + burnjets was fun :D same for ghostly triage and poison trail and ofc grav pull + absorption bomb. (and i think grav pull and rocket jump with arsenal would have been cool too xD).
But let's wait for what is coming.

Naku

Terraformer
Jul 26, 2016
I like combos, and i even used some back in FF with the assault (yeah... they were jsut kinda combos, but still fun). And for mammoth i don't really know any combos (old Mammoth-Vet... nothing can beat the old ones :D). But, well, cannonball afterburner + burnjets was fun :D same for ghostly triage and poison trail and ofc grav pull + absorption bomb. (and i think grav pull and rocket jump with arsenal would have been cool too xD).
But let's wait for what is coming.
Mammoth combos:

teleportation shot+absorption bomb, then shotugun the hell out of any surivors.

or

TS+thunderdome+tremors. Often used as follow up for 1st combo.

This 2 that i used frequently. It was really funn to tp in middle of enemey group, blow up half of them with AB, then trap other half in TD, and play pinball with them :). Ehh good old times.

NightStroke

Base Commander
Base Commander
Jul 26, 2016
Fun fact actually, back when the combat update of 1.5 or 1.6 was happening, CloudChaser, the Senior Systems Designer who took over the combat overhaul after c0wb0y left, posted on the forums about how he was working on ability combos for firefall. I can't find his actual post but I can remember that there was stuff like using Crater reduces the cooldown of afterburner by some number of seconds.

Feb 20, 2017
it's nonsense, since healing is equal if not more worth as dealing dmg, meaning the healer had to be faaar slower than usually or a low heal output (Tank often = high armor and hp, medium dmg, low move speed while healers are high heal (counting as dmg), high move speed, medium armor and low hp)
but it would be nice though :I i mean as such to be a healer that only heals :/

Jul 26, 2016
Canada
Fun fact actually, back when the combat update of 1.5 or 1.6 was happening, CloudChaser, the Senior Systems Designer who took over the combat overhaul after c0wb0y left, posted on the forums about how he was working on ability combos for firefall. I can't find his actual post but I can remember that there was stuff like using Crater reduces the cooldown of afterburner by some number of seconds.
That's pretty interesting. Shame it never happened though.