An arsenal of weapons and damage suggestions thread

P

punkbuzter#6186

But before I'm entering nerd-mode, I want to ask if there's any point doing this? I know it's early and all but I figured it's better to be early than late. Maybe the vision for all the weapons and damage types is already ironed out and there's no point in spending hours upon hours letting ones mind flow with ideas...

Let me know, cuz if you guys want ideas for some rly fancy SciFi guns I already have a few in mind :)

(edit):
First we need to clarify the damage types cuz this confuses me a lot. So we have Kinetic, Energy, Splash and Damage Over Time. I would ask to add "Fire" as an elemental damage. And, is "Kinetic" damage limited to Physical only, and can a Kinetic damage to Splash? Lots of questions... But anyway, here's a gun that I've been thinking about.

"Zingolarity"
An Energy/Splash rocket launcher type of weapon that takes a couple of seconds to charge up, when releasing the trigger it launches a small anti-matter projectile that implodes the second it hits the target, doing very high damage to a single target.
Just a second later when all energy has been exhausted within the singularity it has created on impact, it explodes creating a shockwave dealing low to no damage (depending on the size of enemy units) but knocks everyone in a fairly sized radius.

The inspiration for visuals is:
Star Wars EP2, where Jango Fett launches a Seismic Charge in the asteroid field.

Let this be a test and we'll see if it gains any traction... If it does, I'll be sharing my other ideas and craft some new ones :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 14, 2016
Personally I think the idea of damage types, and by extension weapons that use it, and be used for more than one thing just like in real life. A good example of this sound based ranged and vibration based melee weapons.

Because of how sound works the gun itself can be used to help you map out an area and find enemies near by with echolocation. Going by the type of sound it can even see through objects and bodies (note animals like dolphins can use their echolocation to "see" inside your body kind of like an X-ray if you are in the water with them). Sound based attacks work using one of two ways, although both can be used at the same time too. The way that most people know about are pressure waves, just moving the air, water, and/or ground around them in such a way that it can push objects away or damage them with a shockwave. Think that wall of sound you feel when in front of powerful speakers or shockwave from an explosion knocking down trees for outside of the blast zone. The other way is with resonance frequencies, vibrating such a way that the object can move in ways it normally doesn't and can even destroy itself. Think the classic thing of singers breaking things like crystals and glass by singing the right note, that is resonance frequency.

In short a sonic gun can have different settings / firing mods as it switches between the different types of sounds it can make. In low settings it can be used to help look for enemies and scan for weak points in their armor (we do this to things like jets, ships, and bridges to look for metal fatigue and cracks in them.). On higher settings it can be used to stun and/or debuff enemies by hitting them with slow every shockwaves to hurt their ears or to push air into or out of their lungs. Or us resonance frequency things like their eyes and other organs to through off their senses (This happens more often than most people would think in normal everyday life. Things like damages motors / generators and even fans makes these sounds. It is why some people can start to feel sick in some buildings when things like an AC that needs repairs turns on.). And on the highest settings the shockwaves that are push enemies around and break rocks and the resonance frequencies able to make objects and bones rip themselves part on a molecular level.

Vibration blades use the vibrations to help you cut through objects much easier and faster than you would otherwise. A great example of this are those ultrasonic surgery knives that can also do things like cut through bone and stuff just by you placing it there. And for extra effect and damage they too and use resonance frequencies to both break armor and/or stun enemies while cutting them.

Although I am a fan of games using more scientific damage types and effects in their games. To keep things simple they often only make each damage type only do one or two things and have a rock paper scissors style match up with it and different armor types. Otherwise some types of weapons would be OP in their eyes because it would have an effect on almost every other thing in game. But when you are working with basic fundamentals forces and laws of physics that happens. lol

Last edited:

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Let me know, cuz if you guys want ideas for some rly fancy SciFi guns I already have a few in mind :)
Do tell!

In short a sonic gun can have different settings / firing mods as it switches between the different types of sounds it can make. In low settings it can be used to help look for enemies and scan for weak points in their armor (we do this to things like jets, ships, and bridges to look for metal fatigue and cracks in them.). On higher settings it can be used to stun and/or debuff enemies by hitting them with slow every shockwaves to hurt their ears
This could also be good for finding paths where the wave could change and investigating hidden areas that could lead somewhere interesting.

I'd imagine it is like the way the ff scan hammer waves was like but as a hand held projectile weapon type.
Imagine seeing the smaller tsihu getting pushed over and hitting the other tsi hu, that could lead to use environmental such as objects like small boulders, causing small avalanches etc,.

Vibration blades use the vibrations to help you cut through objects much easier and faster than you would otherwise. A great example of this are those ultrasonic surgery knives
medics could find those handy i am always thinking of the Hf blade grayfox uses in mgs!

What if you could turn yourself into a living weapon such as the abilities we may have examples such as in the game street fighter

This could be good for tsi hu defense when you are staying too close to them. Since some may run & take cover or hunt or others may go in a defense position and electrical charge even more so when the portal is open.

This one i'd imagine the mek charging up and hitting a few in line, stunning them and damaging them a bit. This charge attack uses the energy pool for jetting so this could be an alternative to should i jet away or go offensive.

I'd imagine could be a mix of the flying headbutt and psycho crusher effect.

Aug 14, 2016
First we need to clarify the damage types cuz this confuses me a lot. So we have Kinetic, Energy, Splash and Damage Over Time. I would ask to add "Fire" as an elemental damage. And, is "Kinetic" damage limited to Physical only, and can a Kinetic damage to Splash? Lots of questions... But anyway, here's a gun that I've been thinking about.
That is one of the things about games that I hate. It makes a lot of people think that kinetic damage is only physical damage. But in reality kinetic energy is all movement and heat. Meaning in real life kinetic weapons make heat just by the nature of how kinetic energy works. This means that yes, even fire counts as kinetic energy. To stop all kinetic energy within an area is to stop all movement within that area, meaning there is not even light (because light is also has kinetic energy) and heat within the area.

Like I said before most games super over simplify things and limit natural forces and laws to a stupid degree to anyone who knows how real science, real weapons, and real armor works.

P.s.
This also kind of ties into my rant about the how some games, movies, and shows misname missiles and rockets a lot. In military terms rockets are unguided meaning they follow normal ballistic trajectory but missile are guided and have the ability to look for and follow a target. It annoys me to see people calling rockets as missiles and missiles as rockets because their are not interchangeable terms when you are talking about weapons.

Do tell!

This could also be good for finding paths where the wave could change and investigating hidden areas that could lead somewhere interesting.

I'd imagine it is like the way the ff scan hammer waves was like but as a hand held projectile weapon type.
Imagine seeing the smaller tsihu getting pushed over and hitting the other tsi hu, that could lead to use environmental such as objects like small boulders, causing small avalanches etc,.

medics could find those handy i am always thinking of the Hf blade grayfox uses in mgs!

What if you could turn yourself into a living weapon such as the abilities we may have examples such as in the game street fighter

This could be good for tsi hu defense when you are staying too close to them. Since some may run & take cover or hunt or others may go in a defense position and electrical charge even more so when the portal is open.

This one i'd imagine the mek charging up and hitting a few in line, stunning them and damaging them a bit. This charge attack uses the energy pool for jetting so this could be an alternative to should i jet away or go offensive.

I'd imagine could be a mix of the flying headbutt and psycho crusher effect.
I don't often play as characters who use shields in games but one of things I always look for when I do is the ability to do things like a shield bash and charging attacks. But because anyone who knows about old fighting styles know that people viewed shields as weapon just as much as something to protect themselves with. So a lot of cultures who use shields after had moves and styles that would let you hurt enemies or even kill them using your shield to hit them in different ways.

Last edited:

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
"Zingolarity"
An Energy/Splash rocket launcher type of weapon that takes a couple of seconds to charge up, when releasing the trigger it launches a small anti-matter projectile that implodes the second it hits the target, doing very high damage to a single target.
Just a second later when all energy has been exhausted within the singularity it has created on impact, it explodes creating a shockwave dealing low to no damage (depending on the size of enemy units) but knocks everyone in a fairly sized radius.

The inspiration for visuals is:
Star Wars EP2, where Jango Fett launches a Seismic Charge in the asteroid field.
Looks very nice imagine if this was the alt fire of the plasma cannon.

That is one of the things about games that I hate. It makes a lot of people think that kinetic damage is only physical damage. But in reality kinetic energy is all movement and heat.
So could that mean if i was sliding down a big hill gaining kinetic energy and slide into a tsihu it could damage them and even knock them flying!

This led me to an idea 2 ways the grappler could be used.

When you upgrade your grappler arm to grab certain items e.g. items or even a tsi hu

This one is your typical grab and throw

This is a good sport, better than shotputt, imagine if the grappler got a tsi hu and after a number of spins to speed up and could knock several enemy mobs with some damage, but releasing the object/enemy after a good spin causes a nice projectile.

With he shield bash lets say the shield builds kinetic energy each time you bash. Then once a meter is up you could unleash a Heavy shock when you wanted and this results in a nice offense while pushing back things until the meter has run out.

Last edited: