Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Director of Marketing and Community
Jul 26, 2016

Last week the lore drop revealed humanities initial contact with these dangerous and enigmatic enemies. Very little has been brought to light about them so far, but we do know they that call themselves the Tsihu. However the reaper teams that endure their constant attacks have a more colorful name for them. That name is....up to you!

Greetings fellow Reapers,
Welcome back to the third round of our first community contest. The Alien Naming contest. Where your submissions and your votes decide what will be the official name that the reaper teams call the Tsi-hu.

How does this contest work?
Round one was when the community submitted ideas for the name. We received over two hundred submissions. Round two was when community votes narrowed that number down to the thirty most popular names. This round, round three, is when community votes will narrow the number down again to only ten finalists. After that, Grummz will select his favorite name from that top ten.

Need an example of why there are two different names?
In the science fiction classic novel Ender's Game there is an alien race named the Formic. However the humans who fight them refer to the aliens as "Buggers" because they are largely insect like in behavior and appearance. So how will the humans refer to the Tsihu here in Ember?

-------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you do for round 3?
  • Follow the link below.
  • Rank each and every name in the poll.
  • Five stars means you really like the name, one star means you really do NOT like the name.
  • The goal is a colorful, human sounding name that the soldiers will call the Tsihu.
  • Round three of this contest begins on Friday, March 3rd and will close Friday, March 31rst.
Remember that every person has their own personal viewpoint and motivation for how they choose what names are the best and the worst, all stances are welcome. Only the votes will decide the victors!

POLL IS NOW CLOSED
CLICK HERE AND RANK EVERY NAME

The prizes for the winners!

The creators of the names that make it into the top ten will receive 8x10 signed color glossies of the new thumper vs Kaiju poster and 8x10 of the omniframe, thumper and Tsi-hu. The creator of the name that Grummz selects at the end will win the grand prize. A 36x24 thumper vs Kaiju poster, and the Gatestrider reward level from the last campaign. If they already have it, they can gift it.

Who wants a big beautiful poster?

Reapers, let's bring this contest to a glorious conclusion.
- Ronyn

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Done! Really excited to see how this turns out. This one was tough because there were several options that would work equally well.

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
Done, i chose 3 or 4 as 4stars, nothing i liked enough for 5 stars tho, well i guess it could've been much worse so it's not so bad.
Yeah, same here. Few no more than 3 star Most were even more complicated than 'tissue' and not so "colorful".
AND F*CKING DISAPPOINTED, YA'LL DIDN'T VOTE 'TISSUE' IN THE LAST ROUND.

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
Ya, no five star from me either. I went through each name envisioning a reaper screaming it out to his patrol when they are spotted. Whatever rolled off the tongue easily and felt natural to the crisis is what I rated four star.

Exiss

Mar 5, 2017
Voted. Some 1, 2, and 3 stars. Nothing really popped as original so I was pretty discouraged. Good luck to the winner.

Biz

Kaiju Slayer
Kaiju Slayer
Jul 30, 2016
Raijū got some lols out of me, for that to work there needs to be lightning effects when they first materialize or a fair amount of electrical element attacks associated with Tsihu.

Raijū got some lols out of me, for that to work there needs to be lightning effects when they first materialize or a fair amount of electrical element attacks associated with Tsihu.
There is. As far as I remember earlier bits of lore. It's a pretty cool and clever name, actually. Especially, since the bigger ones are Kaiju, it's in keeping with the naming tradition.

2 out of 3 of my suggestions made it in. Funnily enough, the one I hoped would make it didn't.

While I can't see any of the names in the poll being what the average in-game human civilian would call the Tsihu, I can see the word "Chronomorphs" being used by scientists to categorize the Tsihu as creatures that can both exist in multiple shapes and time periods, i.e. a species that can time travel and shape shift. I can also see "Chained" being used as slang for the more feral Tsihu that are permanently stuck in their beast form as they are brought to combat zones in chains, i.e. a guard might shout "We got Chained (two clicks from the west gate)!" when a T.H.M.P.R is being tailed while heading to a refinery.

While I can't see any of the names in the poll being what the average in-game human civilian would call the Tsihu, I can see the word "Chronomorphs" being used by scientists to categorize the Tsihu as creatures that can both exist in multiple shapes and time periods, i.e. a species that can time travel and shape shift. I can also see "Chained" being used as slang for the more feral Tsihu that are permanently stuck in their beast form as they are brought to combat zones in chains, i.e. a guard might shout "We got Chained (two clicks from the west gate)!" when a T.H.M.P.R is being tailed while heading to a refinery.
Yeah, Chronomorphs is actually mine. I did point out that it sounded like something the scientists in-game would call the Tsihu. :)

And yeah, I totally thought "chained" would only refer to the feral ones, as well.

It's why neither names feel completely suitable. Admittedly.

Feb 16, 2017
i know this name is not in there, but i would think it is very fitting namesake for these ethereal monsters. i would call them Drej. if anyone thinks this would be a good name please like this post, i am really curious to see how many votes this name would get.

This is weird...

So...

Mine were "The Ashen" or just "Ashen" because of the whole ashes on the planet, and their skin-tone. Plus, it could have other names after it, to denote classesm like, Ashen Strider or Ashen Archon...etc. But, this name also sound less slang-like, nickname-like, every-day. And more official.

My other one was, as I've said, Chronomorphs, which sounds like something scientists would term them.

My third name, which didn't make it in the last round was "Grievers" from the way they were described as whispering on about their lost civilization and creepy, sorrowful, yet angry stuff like that. So, they're grieving. And "Grievers", in my opinion, sounds a lot like something hardened soldiers, who had run-ins with them, would call the Tsihu. I saw "Greavers" in there, but frankly, I don't know what that's supposed to mean, as aside from "greave(s)" (as in the leg/shin-guards), I'm not sure there is such a thing as "Greavers" in the English language. o_O

Ah, damn! And I just checked before submitting this, the creatures in the friggin' Maze Runner series are called Grievers. Bollocks! :mad:

I mean, I'm glad 2 of mine are in there, but still. :D

It's strangely amusing that those particular two of mine made it in, and not the third. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.