Acids and Explosions - New Elemental Combo?

Learned about something interesting today. Now, the information was news to me, either because I forgot elementary level or high school chemistry or because it wasn't part of the curriculum, as the education system is generally a mess.

Turns out, that if pretty much any sort of acid starts eating away at something, say, aluminium or someone's face, the gas it produces from all the foaming and stuff is highly explosive. Flick a lit match at it or fire a flare into it and if the concentration is high enough, you're off to the races, whether you like it or not, with your limbs not necessarily still attached, I imagine.

Now, this is interesting, because we're used to certain elemental combos or just using a certain element against something that may be more vulnerable to it, in games.

I don't think I recall ever seeing an acid + fire = explosion combo. Combustion, maybe. But, definitely not explosion. It could be an interesting mechanic, when fighting just about anything, really. If it's something inorganic/mechanical, then, acidic/chemical/corrosive weapons could eat away at it and when enough of a gas cloud surrounds it, a flare or some other high heat-source could cause an explosion, sending parts of it or its armor, outer shell...etc. flying off. When it's some fleshy thing is bathed in acid (creates a methane cloud or something) it can be set off in a similar fashion. And if neither target dies outright, they'll take a huge hit and could even be dazed from the concussive force of the explosion, if they aren't already in pieces.

Biz

Kaiju Slayer
Kaiju Slayer
Jul 30, 2016
9th grade Chemistry:
All acids are acids because they disrupt the balance of hydrogen and hydroxide ions in water solution, almost always by donating their own hydrogen ions, ai acids have hydrogen in them. When acids react with metals they create metallic salts and hydrogen gas. Hydrogen gas will catch fire easily but only in decent concentration and will not explode unless there is a lot of it. This wouldn't happen unless reaction between acid and the metal happens very quickly and in a mostly enclosed environment.

... I'll have to record a demonstration on this sometime... Anyhow

"Acids" in FF, iirc, were nanites that broke apart whatever they came in contact with, be it flesh or armor - not exactly hydrogen containing acidic liquids, that Would produce hydrogen gas. You would have better luck hoping for secondary exploding effects from fire weapons.

Feb 20, 2017
I kinda like this idea and maybe it would damage player that get to close kinda like a risk vs reward mechnic say if u have a enemy that rushes you it could deal alot of damage back to u if u get to close to the acid or the gas kinda shy away from close range weapons having this and sniper types using this sorta thing more?

I kinda like this idea and maybe it would damage player that get to close kinda like a risk vs reward mechnic say if u have a enemy that rushes you it could deal alot of damage back to u if u get to close to the acid or the gas kinda shy away from close range weapons having this and sniper types using this sorta thing more?
Ah, I also thought that it might involve a risk. The player could also suffer damage, not just from the acid or the gas, but from the explosion, too. But, should that be only from one's own weapon...or friendly fire. I feel like that would be too much and would hinder combat. One would need to be more careful, certainly. That would add a level of difficulty.

Feb 20, 2017
Ah, I also thought that it might involve a risk. The player could also suffer damage, not just from the acid or the gas, but from the explosion, too. But, should that be only from one's own weapon...or friendly fire. I feel like that would be too much and would hinder combat. One would need to be more careful, certainly. That would add a level of difficulty.
okay but how about adding dmg restance modifications to the omnigear say like if your going for acid dmg and know itll explode why not make a explosive dmg resistance light gear or make omnigear hardening mechanic medium gear or when in mele range to allow player target to abosorb some of the dmg into a overheat mechnic on heavy gear? would that help with the splash dmg?

okay but how about adding dmg restance modifications to the omnigear say like if your going for acid dmg and know itll explode why not make a explosive dmg resistance light gear or make omnigear hardening mechanic medium gear or when in mele range to allow player target to abosorb some of the dmg into a overheat mechnic on heavy gear? would that help with the splash dmg?
Sure, balance the weaknesses and protectiveness of your gear, specifically to mitigate the kind damage you will most likely suffer, because of the exact kind of situation you'd have to place yourself in. It might also help out someone who's weapon or gear is built to absorb kinetic and whatever energy to get a damage buff for a brief period, or buff its defenses, say, give a boost to their shields, with all the energy absorbed, so they could stand the volatile surroundings for longer to get in more damage on their target.

Max Kahuna
Max Kahuna
Kahuna M.A.X.
Sep 6, 2016
let me tell you: unless its a closed off space, you won't get any explosive mixture. While hydrogen is quite reactive, the concentration in an open space won't reach the levels required to set off anything.

Source: I'm a chemical engineer.

let me tell you: unless its a closed off space, you won't get any explosive mixture. While hydrogen is quite reactive, the concentration in an open space won't reach the levels required to set off anything.

welp, just in theory, would an acid that has a ph-value of 0/14 be able to produce enough hydrogen to allow an explosion?
(we had the ph-value last lesson in chemistry and i know that 0/14 should be like hell...
even though the "Sprudelwasser" we drink often in germany has just a ph-value of 3-4)

Terricon4

Base Commander
Base Commander
Among other things we need to think about what type of enviornment we are on. What is the icy rocks oxygen level? What other gases are there with all the volcanic activity, how dense if the atmosphere? On one hand it was smaller than earth so lower gravity (but same in game for playablity) but on the other the active core might mean a strong magnetic field to keep it from being blown away, but that depends on just what the core is made of...

Also an environment with extreme cold and small isolated (possibly changing) hot pockets will have pretty extreme winds so you won't have much time for acid to create gases before they get blown elsewhere and as such won't easily reach high concentrations.

So maybe it might work while exploring underground caves/ice tunnels or in our own artificial environments/bases, but I wouldn't buy it on the surface at least.

Feb 20, 2017
so its a conditional explosion that sounds really cool :eek: it would make large scale battles less hectic but and intresting side not that it would make anything inside a building not real hard but it would add a counter play system to use anothier dmg unsles dealing with huge amounts of mobb in a danse space :> that are mechas

Max Kahuna
Max Kahuna
Kahuna M.A.X.
Sep 6, 2016
welp, just in theory, would an acid that has a ph-value of 0/14 be able to produce enough hydrogen to allow an explosion?
(we had the ph-value last lesson in chemistry and i know that 0/14 should be like hell...
even though the "Sprudelwasser" we drink often in germany has just a ph-value of 3-4)
Meh, depends on the actual compound. Kohlensäure is actually harmless.
However, instead of adding any explosion damage I'd augment the actual damage debuff (dot) considering COOH (Essigsäure) is flammable.

As example:
* 20 damage/tick over 10 seconds corrosive
* +10 damage/tick additional damage +(-5 seconds effect duration) when hit with fire damage.

Last edited:

Max Kahuna
Max Kahuna
Kahuna M.A.X.
Sep 6, 2016
again, it requires a suitable environment. you can submerge a burning matchstick in gasoline without anything happening when its ventiated, close it up with just the right amount of oxygen present and try it again and you get a nice explosion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flammability_limit // https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explosionsgrenze

It's part of what I pay attention to at work where all kinds of organic solutants float around the air. Some of the time I'm even supposed to carry a sensor measuring the relative explosive limit and indicating oxygen levels

NOTE: typos can be kept, I am suddenly suffering from extreme tiredness and may or may not see the crap i type.

Dec 15, 2016

Also, hydrogen atoms are lighter than helium. Doing this outdoors will just continue to rise up towards the atmosphere ruining your chances of a hydrogen based explosion.

You might be better off using real explosives instead.

Rocket

Max Kahuna
Max Kahina
Jul 26, 2016
Australia
I'd be happy if explosive damage applied to ADOT (acid damage over time) spread the acid damage and reinvigorated it to a degree.

Chaining damage types would be cool. Or maybe not.

Assuming one big arse Tsi-Hu with a Reaper squad, spreading damage in such a way would become friendly fire. Burns you, burns your THMPR. I'm keen to see friendly fire as something like squad commander option (you can turn it on). It would add a greater need for tactical play and good comms.

Last edited:

Silv3r Shadow

Max Kahuna
Max Kahuna
Kaiju Slayer
Jul 29, 2016
I love elemental damages and other damage types, especially like warframe.
If you haven't played warframe it let's you mix the 'status effect' with others.
If you mix Heat and Toxin it creates Explosive status effect and also doubles the status damage (thus adding stats together).
Firefall had element damages but they never had enemy's that were weak to certain damage types like warframe.