Ability to Discover Objects and Creatures.

Jul 31, 2016
New Jersey
www.deviantart.com
Somethings that's been a fun idea for the game is discovering creatures and rare objects. so when you encounter something new to your character you will get a notification saying "Congrats! you discovered [Insert thing here]!" This could give like a slight pokemon vibe of discovering all the things in the game, from rare guns, vehicles and armor types, to rare buildings, kaiju, or even rare plants and locations. It could make exploring really fun discovering all the different things the devs might hide in the game, maybe even make sort of a race to find the rarest thing of all first.

Aug 14, 2016
I like the idea of this mostly because I also like things such as science and history. So I having little books such as bestiary I can fill out as I play the game is always a fun little side thing to do on top of other stuff. This also part of the reason why in many games they have things like fishing as part of the things you can do to.

One example that comes to mind at the moment is Warframe and the Codex. As players scan enemies and objects they learn more about them. Not just about their stats but also about lore linked to them. And in terms of enemies after you 100% all the information about them the Codex also lists all the things they are weak to and strong against. And for things like animals it might lists all the places you are likely to find them and stuff.

Because in Em-8er was explorers and miners before we became warriors. We would also have other tools and skills too. Like geologist and miners having tools to analyze rock and minerals to tell you what they are, how they are made, where are likely places to fight more, and if it has any practical uses you can use on the spot. For example, some rocks can hold on to heat and slowly give it off over time even after being removed from the heat sources. This types of rocks can be used when camping to both for cooking and to keep you warm in the cold. While at the same time there are some rocks you never want to get to hot because they tend to explode when heated.

If the game and throw in real facts about things and how they work that is a bonus in my book. I'm for things like tangential learning in games because them that is informant people can use in real life outside of the game.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
One example that comes to mind at the moment is Warframe and the Codex. As players scan enemies and objects they learn more about them
I like that it is why i have helios the scan pet, and the idea we could investigate a crime of say who stole the supplies or kidnapped or murdered.

Finding clues to get the right perp and why they did that!

Aug 14, 2016
I was thinking. What is there was also an shared data base in the game there players can add notes to things? Something like in-game version of wiki. If someone posts helpful information to the game's version of the internet people can mark it as such, this why the post with the most "likes" so to speak will also be near the top when a person wants to click on extra info about an creature, object, or location. Information that they devs might not have lists for reasons.

For example.
I scan an odd looking plant in the game. The official information about (the stuff the devs wrote about it) is also going to show up. I read over it but I want to learn more. So I see there is an option to read the notes of people sorted by categories. This would take to something like a forum only dealing with and talking about this plate. The categories can be something like Combat data (people sharing tips and info on how to best fight this thing), Anecdotal Evidence (people sharing game lore about the thing and theories about it), and Artistic (people posting screen shots and art of the thing). By looking at the Anecdotal Evidence and Artistic notes about they plant I learn that the best place to find more of them in high places and that they give off an odd glow at night when moonlight hits them. Using that information I explore the map finds places where they are and take a beautiful screenshot of my pilot standing near one of them on a moonlit night.

The way I see it, the information on things doesn't always have to be combat related or even useful to the game play. The notes can just be about things catches the players eyes or captures their imagination. People could even make machinima about things using the "recorded data" on their omniframes. I for one wouldn't mind making a documentary style nature video about the different lifeforms on Em-8er. Even more so if their behavior and spawn rates changes based on the in-game day and night cycle and if there is a predator and prey system in the game like they had in early days of FireFall.

Talking about things like a day and night cycle in games. One of the best day and night cycles in a MMO I played was from Shin Megami Tensei Imagine. Because it was not just the time of day that effected the spawn rates and behavior of the monsters but also the phases of the moon. Because of this just like in real life there was times of day that you could safely go into an area with low risk of being by that thing but at other times of day they are super aggressive. Which give the game a more realistic and natural feeling world. For example there was a few monsters in the game that was their most active/aggressive in twilight hours mimicing how real life shark act. For safety reasons it is a bad idea to go swimming at twilight hours (dawn and dust) because that when sharks tend to look for food and in the low light might mistake a human for a seal or fish.

Wyntyr

Omni Ace
Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Florida
IMO what would commence would be popularity contests for the most likes, and dickbutt everywhere (pics and the written word). Who's gonna police all that? Some other department of Crixa that now has to be funded? Fans? Another popularity contest on who gets picked and the Dev's would still have to police those folks and how they handle stuff. Someone wants to fan run a wiki...have it. In-game for the Devs...nope.

Aug 14, 2016
IMO what would commence would be popularity contests for the most likes, and dickbutt everywhere (pics and the written word). Who's gonna police all that? Some other department of Crixa that now has to be funded? Fans? Another popularity contest on who gets picked and the Dev's would still have to police those folks and how they handle stuff. Someone wants to fan run a wiki...have it. In-game for the Devs...nope.
I see your point and you are not wrong. But in the end it all comes down to the player community itself as to how well or bad such systems become. Are most of the people who play the game just trying to have fun and help each other out or are most of the players seeking to troll everyone else and ruin the fun of others? I've seen how such systems worked and failed in the past and it is always traced back to the mindset of the player base as a whole. Is it one where kindness to each other wins out or cruelty?

In all my years of playing MMOs the community of FireFall was one of the most nicest and helpful I came across. And a good number of us are where waiting for the day was can play Em-8er together. So even though I know the possibility exist that such a system can become toxic, for the time being I'm just going let myself be optimistic that Em-8er will also have good nontoxic community.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
In many games there are always going to be a few or so that could mess it up for some.
Like to think that making it aware to all players to do their part, keep it civil, and above all have fun!
With some little rule things bla bla and you accept this and can click accept.

Which could state something liike bla bla you accept that if you are an asshat/jerk the crixa team have a right to temporarily ban/freeze to fully ban depending on the offense caused bla bla but hopefully it wont come to that thanks crixa lab team.

Words wont really mean much unless there is action an example like to give the 3 strikes and your out though it depends on the offense and if it was repeated.

Usually we hardly had to because the community were super, but there were times we had to temporarily ban/freeze and just give a little chat and then they understood and we hi5 and all is well for them to continue.

Sometimes giving order can be good just say hey both sides....the judges ruling is final, side A stop, Side B stop now shake hands don't be a jerk go have fun \o/ or next time we sent you to kaiju warden who is not as forgiving and eats trolls and jerks!!!!

Another concern is the authenticity/reliability of the information perhaps you would have something like Reliability seals where a moderator would give a reliability seal to confirm that the info is good.

Usually people go to the most reliable sources since many could post many things even i could put something such as found a alien duck machine on the south east only to lead you to a rock with a face of an angry turnip!

Usually its just another day, we cannot predict what could happen the next day or the week after etc!

As long there is a pleasant and fun vibe and problems get resolved in a good manner then all is swell.

Imagine Discovering a portal to find fragments of other portal pieces at this place there was a network of portals but something caused much damage or purposely destroyed to prevent something happening or coming through?

After collecting all the portal fragments and fixing it all up you are given the choice to activate it you can either go in or wait and see. Going in could take you to a choice of random spots below:

A) The Firefall relics and historical site: Gives you data of possible retro frames and the lore of firefall
if the chosen were controlled by the tsi-hu??

B) The abyss where there are many secrets and yet dark: Floating aimlessly you can scan for strange things staying there too long and you may get corrupted so get out soon.

If you are corrupted your suit is more susceptible to drawing enemies and your skin pulses with dark veins across. You have to find a medic to help you clear this problem because leaving it too long could affect others!!!

C) Something appears you are slapped by a rabbit and chased around :O
The mysterious rabbit appears agitated and annoyed that you opened the portal, you did wake the rabbit up from a good dream!

Capturing the rabbit gives you a new pet and an achievement pesky rabbit !

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2016
Seeing as a good part of the game's lore has to do with the manipulation space and time. Those of us who know about real science also know how truly... odd things can get when you start to push thing to their logical conclusion. Often times when you are dealing with the fringes of human knowledge and understanding reality can start to seem like something out of mythology, with things popping into and out of existence at random, passing through each other as if they was ghosts, existing in multiple places at once, and so on. Not even going to talk about how how some people joke about nanotechnology being basically a new wave of alchemy (fact, we both know how to and have the ability to do things like turn lead into gold but the for the time cost of doing such a thing is higher than the amount of gold you get out.). It is also why some people point something that writer Arthur C. Clarke said, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

If there is no laws of the universe against something existing or happening than there is always a possibility for it do so, although you might have to wait longer than the age of the universe for it happen if the odds are low enough. lol