To clarify exactly, P2P or F2P

Aug 2, 2016
I know it's been tossed around, but I can't seem to see a definitive answer to the question, "Is EM-8ER a Free To Play?" Question gets bounced a lot, but nothing stuck with what it was to be. And with the recent "Firefall Credit Program", gives me the impression its F2P. After searching the forums, never found anything pertaining to this. If possible, I would like a Dev to give us a definitive answer on the subject. Just want to clarify.

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Director of Marketing and Community
Jul 26, 2016
Em-8ER will not be free to play. Also, there will not be a monthly subscription.
It will be a game you simply buy then play. The exact nature of if or how we will charge for things like expansions or additional playable content is still to be decided. Though I can confirm that there will be things like cosmetics that you can buy.

Aug 2, 2016
Thanks for clearing that, its a problem when games are called F2P, like Defiance, which was a good show but horrible game for $60 that went F2P afterwards cause it sucked so bad, actually need cash to get in instead of what F2P actually means.

Dreamin

Base Commander
Base Commander
Dec 4, 2016
PNW
Nice neonserge, I like that question.

Collectors Release Edition Offline PC Executable +10

Might be a wait for full release edition though. Modeled toys sounds interesting.

Mar 29, 2017
The B2P with optional Sub and Cosmetics Store has the benefits and flexibility that covers most players financial situations. It all really depends on the how many people buy the game, stickiness and then average spending of whales xD

Basically, Recurring Expenses (servers, wages) need to be covered by either a constant moderate flow of revenue or by consistent B2P DLC. I would not be opposed to have to buy Expansions at $10-25 (depending on content) or receiving them for free with optional Sub.

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
At least up to this point Mark has stated there are no plans for any subscription. Hence why it is B2P.

Mar 29, 2017
I would like the option of having a sub that just speeds progress. E.g. $5-10 a month, get +10% resources from THMPERs, +10% XP, +10% Crystite(Snark)

They don't affect gameplay but do help those who don't have as much time and don't mind dropping some money for progress.

This also gives the game a steady income in between DLC drops (which may even be free).

Mar 29, 2017
EvilKitten, that is an old discussion. The Devs need to make money, guess who can give them money? The players who HAVE money. Are you telling me that someone having a convenience boost is going to affect your enjoyment of the game? Especially since this game is COOP vs AI styled.

Your argument is someone having the ability to spend money to progress faster lowers your enjoyment, then I counter with people who have more time to play than I do lowers my enjoyment. Solution: Cap how much EXP can be gained per 24 hour period so that people who have more time cant use it. Balance between the Haves and Have Nots.

Does that sound like it makes sense? Yet that's what you're proposing. There are elements that are P2W, obviously. The question is: Can you directly buy POWER with MONEY? If the answer is no, then it's not P2W. If you can buy items that speed up progress (within reason) then it is NOT P2W.

Subs for convenience are good for Devs and for Players.

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
The Devs need to make money, guess who can give them money? The players who HAVE money
In normal times, I can spend 300 Bucks/month on games. In good times, I can raise it to 500/month

Sub or Booster packs. Real life is unpredictable. never know when I become inactive.
I'd be happy to be able to 'catch' up when I get back. And if Ember is good enough, moneys on Ember. (cosmetics, booster, drinks, whatever I can get my hands on)

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
EvilKitten, that is an old discussion. The Devs need to make money, guess who can give them money? The players who HAVE money. Are you telling me that someone having a convenience boost is going to affect your enjoyment of the game? Especially since this game is COOP vs AI styled.

Your argument is someone having the ability to spend money to progress faster lowers your enjoyment, then I counter with people who have more time to play than I do lowers my enjoyment. Solution: Cap how much EXP can be gained per 24 hour period so that people who have more time cant use it. Balance between the Haves and Have Nots.

Does that sound like it makes sense? Yet that's what you're proposing. There are elements that are P2W, obviously. The question is: Can you directly buy POWER with MONEY? If the answer is no, then it's not P2W. If you can buy items that speed up progress (within reason) then it is NOT P2W.

Subs for convenience are good for Devs and for Players.
This entire rant is pointless...Mark has clearly stated there will be no sub. Ronyn in this very thread has already affirmed as much.

/end of line