Free2Play? Buy-to-Play? Ember's business model?

Deso

Veteran
Jul 26, 2016
I hope only not pay 2 play like WoW is since not many people can't afford for month subs.

Or at least might be possible buy gametime by money in game like in WoW with gold.

Aug 5, 2016
Personally I'm in favor of the Buy2Play (One-time-purchase) model and monthly subscriptions can be an option as a way to support the game's future development and content expansions.

well... it was somewhen that it will be Buy2Play but ofc without fee. there were also some ideas dropped for a F2P monday/thursday and a little subscription for weekends if you don't buy it. How the game is monetised is still standing in the room. But my idea is that the whole Comm pays for a new solar system/planet/whatsoever and the guys that bought the full game can access it 1 week before the f2p guys.

Deso

Veteran
Jul 26, 2016
Personally I'm in favor of the Buy2Play (One-time-purchase) model and monthly subscriptions can be an option as a way to support the game's future development and content expansions.
As i said. If might be possible to buy gametime by money in game, why not.

Jul 26, 2016
Mark Kern is against f2p because the it restricts development a lot.

in f2p, devs have got to design a game such players will naturally buy things without feeling overly forced to buy things. If they make the game where the store isn't used... then you have to rely on some pretty deluded investors to fund your product and not get anything back for it.

and they got to do this from the ground up because otherwise you just get the same shit that happened with FF.

****​

I remember players back in Firefall complaining on how the store is so lacking of items and stuff for a F2P game. Players kept crying saying, "I want to support you, give us stuff that let us do that!" ... then we got a message from out community manager who said, "We don't rely on the players for financial support."

That probably confused a lot of people. It confused me.
It's like they were developing for the game to die within F2P. Firefall had no ads in the game for other real world products, either overtly or hidden, and R5 only at the end seemed to try to develop for players to support their game with small number of consumables popping up in the store.

Jul 31, 2016
New Jersey
www.deviantart.com
If the game was buy to play They might lose a small amount of people due to the cost of the game not being free, but the devs would be able to have the game use in game currency and not have game breaking items only people who pay more can have. This will improve the all over game play aspect for everyone who owns the game. If the game would be Free to play, the devs would have a larger fanbase, but they would have to have funding somehow. They couldn't have insignificant items in the show for purchase by real currency because not a lot of people would buy them, which could ensure this games ultimate failure. Going by steam, Firefall's highest player count was 13,000. if the game were say $20 on steam, Taking into account not everyone will buy the game the least amount the devs could make would be close to $250,860. I don't know about you but that looks like a number that could better fund a game than $5 every once in a while. If the game went to a buy to play mode the game could easily retain it's fanbase better than a free to play game. I personally don't like watching good games go to waste, and seeing the sole reason being it was a free game and the devs made no money at it. Unless Ember is funded via kickstarter or third party I don't know if it would be a good idea to make it a free game. I don't know everything though, so If you have any input on the situation or would like to converse with me, I would be glad to talk about what Ember should become.

Jul 31, 2016
New Jersey
www.deviantart.com
Mark Kern is against f2p because the it restricts development a lot.

in f2p, devs have got to design a game such players will naturally buy things without feeling overly forced to buy things. If they make the game where the store isn't used... then you have to rely on some pretty deluded investors to fund your product and not get anything back for it.

and they got to do this from the ground up because otherwise you just get the same shit that happened with FF.

****​

I remember players back in Firefall complaining on how the store is so lacking of items and stuff for a F2P game. Players kept crying saying, "I want to support you, give us stuff that let us do that!" ... then we got a message from out community manager who said, "We don't rely on the players for financial support."

That probably confused a lot of people. It confused me.
It's like they were developing for the game to die within F2P. Firefall had no ads in the game for other real world products, either overtly or hidden, and R5 only at the end seemed to try to develop for players to support their game with small number of consumables popping up in the store.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________I Do agree with you there. I do think they should keep the idea of Firefall's player driven market economy. Although it wasn't the most in depth economy I did enjoy how the prices of items were determined by the player and not the game devs. This made for an exciting and unique experience with the game that I most enjoyed.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
The market economy was nice but never really was involved in it that much.. i wanted to play and goof off standing on top of a Brontodon was especially exciting its a shame there wasn't a Brontodon ride would of been cool to charge and wallop
enemies far away but i guess the mgv vehicles did that job :D

Got me thinking of alien pets now hmmm