Firefall Devs?

Aug 1, 2016
So I have been thinking a lot and I know this is jsut the forum and the game is just that tingle in all our brains and hearts that we want to happen. But I, like a few others, am skeptical.
I think a lot of us that are would feel like we could invest our time and energy into this project if we knew if some of the devs from Firefall would be working on this endeavor. I see a lot of people here that had really great relationships with the devs and community team. I for one would love to see team members I knew and respected be part of this and it would definitely add to my excitement that this could actually happen, to see that game that we once put our hopes into when it was closed beta. Some I know we wont ever see which is sad but I am hoping some might chance it. I know they would have a lot more to lose than we do.

Sinalot

Omega Founder
Aug 3, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
I would imagine that many of the devs, if released at all recently, would have some sort of non-compete clause. Hell, they may make a point of it given the conceptual effort of Ember alone.

Aug 1, 2016
non compete clause? Can you explain that?
Basically the company will have you sign a contract stating you wont help develop something that is in direct competition with your current employer. So if you work for sony and help make ps4 and you quit or get fired you legally can not go work for microsoft making xbox 1

Brezals

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
Sweden
www.twitter.com
Basically the company will have you sign a contract stating you wont help develop something that is in direct competition with your current employer. So if you work for sony and help make ps4 and you quit or get fired you legally can not go work for microsoft making xbox 1
woah wtf, doesn't that mean that if red5 employees who have signed that contract, that is no longer working for red5, unable to work in the gaming industry as a whole? on other games? at other game companies?

I find that hard to believe.

Aug 1, 2016
woah wtf, doesn't that mean that if red5 employees who have signed that contract, that is no longer working for red5, unable to work in the gaming industry as a whole? on other games? at other game companies?

I find that hard to believe.
they would be able to find work on other games depending on what all the contract/clause states. but they would be games like an rts or or wow like mmo or even maybe console games, but this project would be considered in direct competition. I forgot that most places do a non compete till sin reminded me. but yeah they would still be able to find work i believe phobos is working on orcs must die.

its because they dont want people coming in to work for them and then taking the ideas to another company and making bank of it

Brezals

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
Sweden
www.twitter.com
its because they dont want people coming in to work for them and then taking the ideas to another company and making bank of it
isn't that what patents are for?

Tony, worked for Wildstar after he left red5. wouldn't that game be direct competition? So I guess he didn't sign it.

Can you create your own company after agreeing to that contract? With the goal of actually making a game in competition with the company you signed the contract with? So I guess Grummz didn't sign it.

Xeevis

Max Kahuna
Max Kahuna
Forum Tech
Jul 26, 2016
www.emberbot.com
Yes many companies do make you sign such clause, but it's only relevant up to point you are employed there and very little after. Most of the "free world" guarantees that nobody can control where you can and can't work by constitution, which overrules anything you may or may not signed. Only thing they can use it for is to fire you or attempt to sue you for damages (which resulted from you sharing internal information with competition).

Brezals

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
Sweden
www.twitter.com
Yes many companies do make you sign such clause, but it's only relevant up to point you are employed there and very little after. Most of the "free world" guarantees that nobody can control where you can and can't work by constitution, which overrules anything you may or may not signed. Only thing they can use it for is to fire you or attempt to sue you for damages (which resulted from you sharing internal information with competition).
yeah, I just cannot see how such a contract is practical. or why someone would sign it. It should just be a non disclosure agreement. as that is what it seems to mostly boil down to in practice.

Fryepod

Jul 26, 2016
Hudson Valley, NY
yeah, I just cannot see how such a contract is practical. or why someone would sign it. It should just be a non disclosure agreement. as that is what it seems to mostly boil down to in practice.
Non-Competition for many studios is just an easier way around to deal with their intellectual property rights, content licenses and copyrights. It's easier to just have someone sign something thats "Don't do anything that is remotely what like what I'm doing (vague)" than to bring a lawsuit (direct violation) to their door after the case and spend 4-10 years in a lengthy and probably still unresolved court process.

Brezals

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
Sweden
www.twitter.com
Non-Competition for many studios is just an easier way around to deal with their intellectual property rights, content licenses and copyrights. It's easier to just have someone sign something thats "Don't do anything that is remotely what like what I'm doing (vague)" than to bring a lawsuit (direct violation) to their door after the case and spend 4-10 years in a lengthy and probably still unresolved court process.
I still don't quite understand it. If I am working for EA games and making FIFA, and then if I have signed such a contract, I can not go and work for a company that makes another soccer game? Or I cannot make a game studio that will make a soccer game?

Fryepod

Jul 26, 2016
Hudson Valley, NY
I still don't quite understand it. If I am working for EA games and making FIFA, and then if I have signed such a contract, I can not go and work for a company that makes another soccer game? Or I cannot make a game studio that will make a soccer game?
I'm sure that all depends on the details within the clause itself. But yeah in that scenario if they wanted to hire you and ask you not to be involved with the development of Soccer video games for a period of time than yep ya got it.

It is voluntary "right" that you sign to give up.

Brezals

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
Sweden
www.twitter.com
I'm sure that all depends on the details within the clause itself. But yeah in that scenario if they wanted to hire you and ask you not to be involved with the development of Soccer video games for a period of time than yep ya got it.

It is voluntary "right" that you sign to give up.
ok so it is time period, and if the company disbands? the contract still valid till the time experation?

Fryepod

Jul 26, 2016
Hudson Valley, NY
ok so it is time period, and if the company disbands? the contract still valid till the time experation?
Probably all legal details that are specific (in this case) Between The9 and Tribe that will not know much of until it is "safe" to speak. I have no idea what Red5 employees had to sign, however FadedPez said he's still rather bound about speaking on Firefall in general for awhile so it's definitely pretty heavy.

DARKB1KE

Commander
Jul 27, 2016
I can only speak for my own experience but it was a 1-year period after leaving the company (I quit on good terms) that I could not go work for a competing one. I think it has to do more with moral integrity and not sharing company secrets with another company... that sorta thing. It's a professional endearment. I wasn't legally bound to it or anything but it's just a thing of respect for your former employers. Remember, word of mouth is huge in finding employment and many employers have a large network. You never know who they may know.

The use of such clauses is premised on the possibility that upon their termination or resignation, an employee might begin working for a competitor or starting a business, and gain competitive advantage by exploiting confidential information about their former employer's operations or trade secrets, or sensitive information such as customer/client lists, business practices, upcoming products, and marketing plans.