Don't nationalize this game

Do you agree with me?

• Total voters

Vedemin

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
Hello everyone!
I may make someone angry, but who knows. Sorry for that, not my intention.

So, national emblems on things in a sci-if game. I hate this idea. It's bad and sad for other countries just to see USA flags and symbols everywhere. It really pisses me off when I see another USA symbol on a thing that isn't directly connected to USA. I know that I'm not the only one.

On T.H.M.P.R. concept art (the one in forum background) we can clearly see a US star. Bad, nationalizing is bad. It looks like every dev is trying to glorify USA. Don't let it make its way into the game as unremovable part of something. No national symbol should be forcefully applied to any item in-game. It's very good when we have it as an option, but it should never be forcefully applied to our items. Ofc same goes for other symbols, not just USA's. Things like Earth or corporations flags are ok, but never make any symbol that may piss of someone.

Bl4ckhunter

Jul 26, 2016
From what i understood they put on random stickers on that mech to avoid having to conceptualize sponsors and it was quicker than having to make random ones from scratch for concept art so you needen't worry about it.
Anyways i think that you're being overly sensitive on the issue, it's not like putting a sticker somewhere "nationalizes" something, besides i don't really see how a flag can offend someone.

Vladplaya

Commander
Em-8er Contributor
Jul 27, 2016
USA
Those poll options....

Anyways I am totally cool with nationalizing the game, as long as it fits the story and includes diversity. You would think that far in the future there wouldn't be any more countries, as all nations would come to join together to work for better good. Or maybe they work together but still keep their flags and cultures and show them off on stuff?
However Mark will decide to craft the story, I think it's cool to see pieces of different cultures all over the world here and there, especially if they will have futuristic aci fi twist to them.

Alfonso

Commander
Jul 29, 2016
I don't want any existing national flag in game for a different reason.
There is a online manga I read and it has background of the world set in somewhere else than the earth. The thing that consist the world is something that we don't have in our world. However, character in that manga eat asian food like sushi...hmm...
Physics is different, animals in the world is different but you still eat sushi...
To me, that was emersion breaking thing.

For this reason, in Ember, I hope we can see things that are not from this world.

I think national flags should be optional. The only case im okay with forcing national symbols ons things is like tanks, planes, and weapons from the country itself... and on the armor of the soldiers too ofc, it wouldn't make sense if a german soldier would run around on the battlefield with the german flag on his shoulder, same for soldiers of all other countries.

Rocket

Max Kahuna
Max Kahina
Jul 26, 2016
Australia
I was always disappointed in Firefall that the only decal flag was the US one. I would have loved an Aussie flag to apply over my frames paint job. As far as the Ember concept poster is concerned, I don't see any issue with the emblem though.

I'm far more curious about the other emblems. You've got Cannon, makers of many goods including printers and camera's, Shoei and Arai who both make bike helmets, and Citizen who make watches. There's another with green lettering (Chinese?) on a yellow background, and I'm assuming that's a known branding as well.

Now they could have just used a pattern, like camouflage or something. But no. They chose branding. Which makes me wonder of MK is considering this as a means to help fund ongoing server costs should Ember make it that far. Selling targeted advertising opportunities in-game. It's something that would be worth considering. as long as it didn't go overboard. This could be the kind of game where it is suitable, and a good fit.

Jul 28, 2016
Literal Hell
I'm not really pissed off at the US flag, but I don't see why it needs to be forced. If it were flags completely different from flags in the real world, I wouldn't care at all.

Jul 26, 2016
Switzerland
darkcisum.com
Well, it's US game after all :)
So? Just because something is created in a specific country doesn't mean one should plaster the product with that countries flag. The US patriotism is often way too strong in games (and in many other places), but I'm not sure if US people even realize their over excitement for their country sometimes...

Since Ember is set in a completely separate universe, I don't see any reason to use existing flags anywhere.

Sik San

Deepscanner
Jul 26, 2016
Since Ember is set in a completely separate universe, I don't see any reason to use existing flags anywhere.
I agree with this.

But I'm not sure if you even realize your over excitement for your own country right here. :D Just like americans do according to your words.

Oh, those nationalists... No matter they're coming from

Last edited:
I agree with this.

But I'm not sure if you even realize your over excitement for your own country right here. :D Just like americans do according to your words.

Oh, those nationalists... No matter they're coming from
People of (almost) all nations are guilty of nationalism. There are some that are much less vocal or graphical about it. I'd say many in my own country have a nauseating level of nationalism, national pride and patriotism. And in a lot of cases it is coming from those who are either historical revisionists or lack any actual/factual real knowledge of their own country's history, never mind that of others. This is particularly true in the case of the US and as mentioned, the same could be said of my country.

When I enter the New You menu in FF, I have to roll my eye at the American flag and raise a brow at the Chinese one, actually. o_O

And since Ember is a separate universe, there will be no issue of those exact symbols appearing on objects in the game, by default. Should only appear as personalization options if it's the personal preference of players. Similar symbols may appear, but that is to be expected.

MollilMayhem

Jul 27, 2016
GA, USA
I like flags of all kinds. I can see them in use even on another world as reminders of our Earthly heritage perhaps, and if we are on another world entirely, they don't have any other relevance. I really don't care one way or another, but if there is going to be a flag representing a certain country, there should be flags for EVERY country so everyone can be represented if they so choose.

Yes, it was really strange that FF only offered 2 flags.

Brezals

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
Sweden
www.twitter.com
So? Just because something is created in a specific country doesn't mean one should plaster the product with that countries flag. The US patriotism is often way too strong in games (and in many other places), but I'm not sure if US people even realize their over excitement for their country sometimes...

There could be one reason actually. If Mark wants it, he can have it. I am not gonna stop support becuase of it, are you?