Grinding

OgreMkV

Jul 27, 2016
Central Texas
Without having read every thread, so I'm not sure it's been discussed... I'd like to discuss grinding.

Firefall, was a royal pain in the behind for this. Early in the game, the thumpers were decent and could defended by a single low level individual and generally gave some decent materials. Once they became so much that they required a team to defend, the materials dropped.

For a while, with one of the sniper frames, you could sit outside one of the fallen spawn points and kill hundreds of them over an hour or so.

At one point, I basically spent 2-3 hours a game day doing the race between the three main towns. It was much better than grinding on thumpers for getting materials and stuff. I built an Asernal from scratch to nearly top tier just doing races and the occasional mission.

The problem, of course, is that all of it was boring to the extreme.

I would finally go hunting for meld tornadoes and try to get into the center, just to get some decent minerals in order to upgrade my gear... which may or may not result in higher quality gear. It would take 10 or so nados to get enough minerals to, maybe, get an upgraded rifle.

That's the complaint. The solution is in several parts.

First, the crafting system needs to be significantly improved from Firefall. Having 999 different levels of materials is just nuts. Reduce the number and values (purity) of materials. We build aircraft carriers, jet fighters, tanks, and everything the infantry requires from oil, aluminum, titanium, iron, carbon, silicon, and copper... and depleted uranium. Further, random results from expensive, hard to grind materials is very frustrating.

Solution. Gear is gear. The plans are fixed. Jacketed ammunition requires copper in addition to lead, results in slightly better penetration, is slightly heavier, and takes a little more time to construct. Simple, results are consistent, and you know what you get when you put those materials and plans in the printer. No randoms. Maybe use titanium instead of copper for jacketing gives lighter weight and slightly more penetration, but at the cost of rarity and/or expense.

Second, the amount of materials seemed crazy weird in Firefall. Each deposit (IIRC) was 5-50 units of material. That must have been grams, because one needed 1500 units of x and 1000 units of y and a 1000 units of z to make a rifle. For example.

Solution is to use reasonable, well understood units. An AR-15 masses less than 4 kilos. Most of that is plastic and steel. Maybe some optics. So, with a molecular printer, you need 4 killos of plastic and steel, maybe some silicon for the optics. Magentite and hematite are each about 70% iron. Other iron ores are less. So maybe you need 4 kilos of iron ore to get the 2 kilos of iron you need for the rifle. Plastic is easily formed (in a molecular printer) from any carbon source... heck, there's a system that makes kerosene and diesel from turkey offal. So maybe another 2-3 kilos of plastic stock material.

That gives the added bonus of making it easy to calculate the change in running speed, etc, for a frame, when weighed down with a couple of tons of iron ore.

Make things interesting. Anyone who played Firefall more than a few weeks knows exactly what mission will occur in which location and how to beat it. I personally found it extremely annoying to be in a location and, all of a sudden, there was a bunch of Fallen popping up because a mission triggered while I was there.
Don't even get me started on the Hunt the White Wolf daily.

Finally, I would encourage a revised and updated economic system. I think that people should be allowed to be dedicated miners or hunters or fighters, without having to have penultimate gear to mine the good stuff. Maybe a bare few people have found the secret location for high quality titanium. So let them mine it (and this encourages the purchase of vehicles, if they are capable cargo haulers) and make a profit.

I know at one point, put orders were being considered for Firefall and I think that would be a great way to encourage activities other than grinding on racing bikes.

Thoughts, comments, and suggestions are encouraged.

Thorp

Omni Ace
Jul 27, 2016
California, CA
I agree that crafting should have easy to understand components and reasonable requirements to craft weapons. Grinding in games always bothers me, not because the tasks are difficult but the amount of time required for basic upgrades is disheartening. I play games to enjoy the gameplay and to customize my character. When I have a 40 hour job plus life responsibilities AND THEN weeks of grinding because I can't spend more than 2 hours per night on a game...

If crafting requires large amounts of components to keep whales playing then fine...I'll just be a sad panda and fade out when I hit the roadblock and go outside instead.

PlzBanMe

The furry mod
Staff member
Ember Moderator
Jul 27, 2016
The grinding was added because it was a free to play game. I hope to Gaben that this game is not free to play. It would be better to make a great game and then have people really pay for it. Free to play games are almost always less enjoyable because they are free to play. Valve has their free to play model down and are more of "free" games than free to play. Dota 2 prefect example. All content up front and just go for it.
However the Warframe root might work here. Just have a ton of content for the player to storm through. It is going to take hundreds of hours but you can get anything you want in a reasonable amount of time. Once you get bored of you starting gear you most likely can already craft a few weapons. They also don't limit your crafting ability. You want to craft everything in the game at once. Go for it.

Jul 27, 2016
You should do a little research on Free to play models and why they are designed that way. Its about trying to make profits by selling convenience. It's a time/money comparison at its most raw form.

For the sake of example I'm gonna post generic examples.
(yes I know there's exceptions!)

1. If someone has lots of time they will be logged in more and play more to get all items and not spend a dime (outside of cosmetics/etc)

2. If someone has little time but more money to spend they will skip the time limits and get items faster (boosts or just buy them with real cash).

It is up to the individual to assess their affordable spending budgets and how much their time is valuable to them.

If you got everything in game right away with little play time then there should be no reason to spend any money...or even keep playing... pretty much. Obviously this is bad for the game company if players are not spending.

Levels and XP exist to keep players playing longer, beyond the main goal of the game. They are busywork to chase carrots.

Jul 26, 2016
If a game is to have some form of progression, then it's also going to need some form of content gating to keep players rushing through all the available content, before the developers can produce any more.

In a single player game, it doesn't matter if you complete everything in a few days, and the studio doesn't produce the next in the series for a couple of years. The sales model for that kind of game supports long downtimes, because there are plenty of other games to play in the meantime.

With an MMO the idea is that the players are logging in day-after-day, and progressing towards some goal, because you need to keep people in the game, so that new players have someone to play with. Otherwise it's not going to be an MMO.

Grind is the obvious form of content gating, but there are others, like daily/weekly progression, where eg. you need 100 of something to build something, but can only get one every day, or you can only complete a raid once a week. The only problem with that is that it can be just as repetitive and tedious as grind.

The only way to avoid people hating either form of gating, is to make it fun, and that includes making it fun to do with other people (so you have to take measures to punish obnoxious players and cheats, or at least give players freedom of association, so they have control over who they play with, through their own space from which they can kick unwanted players, instead of it being down to completely open LFG/matchmaking, or invite only guilds).

Warframe is considered a game that is very grindy, but really most of it is self inflicted by players. So long as you make use of the available game types and classes, to change up how you play instead of doing the same thing in the same place repeatedly, the grind is considerably lessened. It's even possible to think to yourself "what do I want to do that's fun?" and there will be a good chance that you can progress in many ways while doing it.

Giving players options in how they progress towards a goal can help avoid grind, although perhaps some way to ensure that they make use of them, instead of choosing self imposed grind is also needed. Something like making sure that the optimum way to progress is constantly shifting.

Nubilus

Omni Ace
Ark Liege
Base Commander
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
Every MMO i played had some kind of grind. Be it missions, raids, resources or some kind of currency. Each of them provided a fun way of doing so.

Even back in FF i had fun thumping with my friends and Army. I can't remember how often I did Blackwater just to get that Chosen mask...

Grinding is okay if there are multiple (fun) ways of achieving what you want.

Aphaz

Deepscanner
Jul 26, 2016
what i liked in OB FF was, 4 example, how u could log in and half the map/watchtowers was under chosen control and u could start retaking them and often band with other players and simply roam the map kicking chosen butts out of town.

also what i'd like is, if (like in FF) we get mission spawn points, is that doing or ignoring them would have real consequences (not like "oh boss, they blew up the reactor underneath shanty town" but lo and behold nothing happened (extra fast repair crew fixed it all in a jiffy :D ))

OgreMkV

Jul 27, 2016
Central Texas
There's nothing wrong with grinding and, yes, I understand gated content and the rest.

What I'm objecting to (if I may repeat my OP) is
A) BORING grinding (3 missions, over and over and over and over)
B) Excessive grinding (20 hours of specific missions ('nado) to get the materials needed for one rifle)
C) Random crafting given that it takes significant effort to get high end materials. (having the materials for said rifle and, after crafting, it's a bare 2 points better than your current rifle).

Jul 28, 2016
The solution is in several parts.

First, the crafting system needs to be significantly improved from Firefall. Having 999 different levels of materials is just nuts. Reduce the number and values (purity) of materials. We build aircraft carriers, jet fighters, tanks, and everything the infantry requires from oil, aluminum, titanium, iron, carbon, silicon, and copper... and depleted uranium. Further, random results from expensive, hard to grind materials is very frustrating.
Cant argue with you here. I hated the idea of 999 lvls of rarity for an ore. However you were able to combine lower lvls to make higher lvls of that or but just took longer to do. I was acceptable to that since I was not geared to run the high rarity areas for ore.
Solution. Gear is gear. The plans are fixed. Jacketed ammunition requires copper in addition to lead, results in slightly better penetration, is slightly heavier, and takes a little more time to construct. Simple, results are consistent, and you know what you get when you put those materials and plans in the printer. No randoms. Maybe use titanium instead of copper for jacketing gives lighter weight and slightly more penetration, but at the cost of rarity and/or expense.
I like your thinking on the crafting. It keeps within the original concept and would LOVE to have that back. You really needed to have an idea of what your frame was capable of and had to have your gear work within those constraints. I REALLY miss Constraints.
Second, the amount of materials seemed crazy weird in Firefall. Each deposit (IIRC) was 5-50 units of material. That must have been grams, because one needed 1500 units of x and 1000 units of y and a 1000 units of z to make a rifle. For example.
I kinda like this setup. In FF it was a 5-1 mix. wasnt so bad, made you work for your gear to be crafted.
Make things interesting. Anyone who played Firefall more than a few weeks knows exactly what mission will occur in which location and how to beat it. I personally found it extremely annoying to be in a location and, all of a sudden, there was a bunch of Fallen popping up because a mission triggered while I was there.
Don't even get me started on the Hunt the White Wolf daily.
This was the BEST part about FF for me. Running through a mission and BOOM Dynamic pops and now I have PLENTY of mobs to deal with and had to really think on my toes. I want to see this in Ember.
Finally, I would encourage a revised and updated economic system. I think that people should be allowed to be dedicated miners or hunters or fighters, without having to have penultimate gear to mine the good stuff. Maybe a bare few people have found the secret location for high quality titanium. So let them mine it (and this encourages the purchase of vehicles, if they are capable cargo haulers) and make a profit.
How was this different from what was in FF. There were those who were dedicated Thumper Dropers and only ran Thumping and sold their mats. I do think that some decent gear is required to get to the good resource nodes of high quality mats. They are high quality for a reason lol.

Jul 28, 2016
1. If someone has lots of time they will be logged in more and play more to get all items and not spend a dime (outside of cosmetics/etc)

2. If someone has little time but more money to spend they will skip the time limits and get items faster (boosts or just buy them with real cash).

It is up to the individual to assess their affordable spending budgets and how much their time is valuable to them.
Agreed Dark.

F2P has gotten a HUGE crapshat of negativity because of the last couple of years of games being released and most having P2W in their F2P models. Take Warframe for instance. I started out the first 3 weeks just running and gunning. But I got an emailsaying I could get Plat for 75% off and went for it. Paid 49.99 and got about 7500(i think). I then went intothe store and started buying up weapons and there is where I found their P2W model.

F2P done RIGHT can benefit both the Whales and the freebies. FF was one of those models in my opinion. If i didnt like running around I bought one of their Travelpack and got an LGV beans and some other stuff. FFs F2P was a good one, but I agree that a paid for model would be a better option. I would say going a P2P then having a good store willwork out well if done RIGHT.

It will help pay for development through the initial purchase and then have a sustained casflow from the whales.

Jul 28, 2016
what i liked in OB FF was, 4 example, how u could log in and half the map/watchtowers was under chosen control and u could start retaking them and often band with other players and simply roam the map kicking chosen butts out of town.

also what i'd like is, if (like in FF) we get mission spawn points, is that doing or ignoring them would have real consequences (not like "oh boss, they blew up the reactor underneath shanty town" but lo and behold nothing happened (extra fast repair crew fixed it all in a jiffy :D ))
My BEST times is logging in and seeing 3/4 of the map red. It meant that I was going to have a GREAT few hours til work lol.

Jul 26, 2016
Take Warframe for instance. I started out the first 3 weeks just running and gunning. But I got an emailsaying I could get Plat for 75% off and went for it. Paid 49.99 and got about 7500(i think). I then went intothe store and started buying up weapons and there is where I found their P2W model.
I'm getting really sick of people perpetuating the idea that games like Warframe are pay-to-win, because they conflate pay-for-convenience into the definition. We have separate terms for things for a reason, namely to avoid confusion. You do not just use the word fruit when talking about apples, oranges and bananas, because you want people to know what you are talking about.

Pay-to-win implies that there is no other way to 'win' besides paying. Warframe's in game market does not fall into that category, because every non-cosmetic item of equipment can also have its blueprint bought for in-game credits, and be built from gathered resources. It just takes time, hence pay-for-convenience. 'Winning' sooner than someone else, does not stop them from 'winning' without paying (it's also worth noting that platinum bought gear in Warframe still needs to be leveled, and the time spent doing that on any item, could instead have been used to gather resources to build further items, instead of just buying a lot of gear outright and letting resources pile up while leveling it).

Even the equipment and modules offered in prime or platinum packs can be either farmed for in game, or bought through player trade after collecting items that can be sold for platinum (and before someone chimes in that it's still pay-to-win because someone had to buy that platinum, the term does not apply when an individual player has the choice not to pay).

What I will admit is an issue in Warframe, and is behind a lot of people getting the impression that it's pay-to-win, is that it isn't made obvious that the market items can also be purchased with credits and crafted from resources. This really is not helped by having resources available in the market for plat, and the game not going far enough to say that you can also gather them while playing, and show where (in fact in the latest update to the market, blueprints were so well hidden, behind a single small icon, and not showing up in the market's search, that DE got a huge amount of complaints that they were effectively making the game pay-to-win through obfuscation. The result was that they gave both plat and credit costs on items equal screen space).

Because of this players who don't do their research before buying and spending platinum, can be punished harshly for their lack of knowledge. They can't expect much sympathy when this happens though, because pretty much every beginner guide out there suggests against buying weapons and frames for plat.

-

Ember on the other hand is to be buy-to-play, with further purchases for expansions, much like Guildwars 2, along with cosmetics. That game though also has microtransactions for things like character slots and inventory space, which is more than reasonable provided players are given a way to get the currency for those through play. Those microtransactions give a more steady stream of income than box/expansion sales alone.

The problem inGW2 though the last time I played, was the amount of grind to get premium currency was excessive. When that happens you go a long way towards encouraging players to find exploits or use bots to do the grinding for them, both in playing, and in using the AH to sell their bot-farmed resources.

Warframe would have a huge issue with players botting loot for platinum, except that a lot of resources are simply not tradeable, and don't need to be because they can be farmed in not-unreasonable amounts of time, and the remaining resources like prime equipment parts or modules, can only be traded through direct player-to-player trading, which prevents the kind of AH botting you'd see implemented in a game like WoW through its addon system, or in GW2 through some kind of hack/bot software.

Digital Extremes absolute refusal to implement an in-game auction house is the single biggest reason there is literally no Real Money Trading in the game, and as a result next to no botting, or account theft.

Excess

Commander
Jul 27, 2016
The grinding was added because it was a free to play game. I hope to Gaben that this game is not free to play. It would be better to make a great game and then have people really pay for it. Free to play games are almost always less enjoyable because they are free to play. Valve has their free to play model down and are more of "free" games than free to play. Dota 2 prefect example. All content up front and just go for it.
A tiered subscription with a cash shop might be a worthy idea. Monthly $5 access, $10 access + perk, or $15 access + perk + perk.

NitroMidgets

Tsi-Hu Hunter
Jul 27, 2016
Dupont, WA
Grinding is one thing but when the depth of the grinding begins to drag a game into the circle of suck, then they went too far. If there is fun, people will be willing to accept a certain level of grinding or not even notice it. That usually requires progression. People need to see that their time is not being wasted. That is one of the many reasons that the DZ was so hated in that Ubisoft game who I refuse to mention.

OziriusSVK

Death Reaper
Jul 27, 2016
Slovakia
Every MMO i played had some kind of grind. Be it missions, raids, resources or some kind of currency. Each of them provided a fun way of doing so.

Even back in FF i had fun thumping with my friends and Army. I can't remember how often I did Blackwater just to get that Chosen mask...

Grinding is okay if there are multiple (fun) ways of achieving what you want.
Nicely spoken :) I can only agree.