New Gate strider $58.50 upgrading to costs $80

Feb 21, 2019
This is a critique of how the sale is done and a plea to stop making old backer money have less buying power when compared to new backer money. I just realized it is more cost effective to sell the D-Gater backer pack I paid $60 for on ebay at a loss, then buy the Gate Maker pack for $58.50. Than upgrade from D-Gater to a Gate maker for $19.50 during the sale. It just feels a little frustrating knowing I put my $60 in early, only to find out that I would have gotten more stuff for the same price If I would have held off on backing the game until the current sale.

I backed Em8er and Star Citizen since 2016 and I don't want to see the official Em8er store competing with Ebay sellers for the best prices for items because backers can't exchange duplicates within the official site or upgrading an item costs more in total for an old backer compared to someone who gets the full discount by being a new backer. I don't want to see Em8er become the speculation/grey market dumpster fire that Star Citizen's funding model has become and I got burnt out on. I just want to play games not the grey market.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
just realized it is more cost effective to sell the D-Gater backer pack I paid $60 for on ebay at a loss, then buy the Gate Maker pack for $58.50. Than upgrade from D-Gater to a Gate maker for $19.50 during the sale.
Usual $60 -$90 ($30 Difference)
Sale $39 - $58.50 ($19.50 Difference)

Pack reduction ($60 -$39) = $21 ($90 -58.50) = $31.35
$31.35 - $21 = (Difference $10.35)

Perhaps it could be $10.35 upgrade for what you are on in this sale?

My maths is not the greatest but i think it makes sense :D

Last edited:

Skum

NEW - SHIFTER
Mar 1, 2019
I was just noticing that myself. put in the full $500 to get to the shifter (archon then upgraded to shifter previously), thinking maybe upgrade to ark liege, then realize they have the upgrade set based on the discounted lower pack, so would end up paying $650 instead of $475 for that.

with the discounted ark liege I was expecting the 475 (975 - 500....)

that said, being kind of on the wall there, not a huge thing, just kinda nudged me to pass on that

----
Update:
Ah I think I see what they did there. They subtracted the price from the full price, then applied the discount. So instead of a discount of 35% on the 1500 for ark liege, it subtracted my 500, THEN applied the discount (1000 - 350). still a bit disappointing, but the math does make sense that way

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
When i see prices things have changed, as an example:

My bike used to cost $1100 roughly and this time the cost of my bike is near $2419 which is ridiculous however on xmas sale i did see it for $1500 or below.

This wasn't the ideal price but way better than the full price.

With upgrades maybe:

What could be taken into account to know the discount could be:

- Number of months / years supporting Em8er subscription (Can be on and off mainly about the total)
- Pack level (From low to high)
- Forum /discord & the Demo participation (Involved in main topics and involved in playing / testing demo)

(Provides % Discount on upgrade)