Why are you buying this game?

VRK9

Sep 15, 2017
Portugal
I see many people complaining about the game is in pre-alpha, or (thinking) about Mr. Grummz ruined Firefall…
So why not making a thread of people explaining why they want to support this game and buying it.

For a very long time that I don’t pay for a game, because I only played f2p games (hundreds of them), and the last 2 games that I paid for were a starter pack of HotS and Overwatch and I regret both (maybe OW2 will compensate it).
Most f2p games today (except some moba and battle royal games) and also a lot of b2p and p2p games have p2w and/or predatory microtransactions (like story expansions, episodes, season pass, loot boxes where we need to buy keys with real money to open them, …), what make some people thing that the world game market maybe is ruined.

So why supporting Mr. Grummz and Em8er? To me, it all came from Firefall, it was the first game doing something that most devs and players though that was impossible, an open world shooter MMO, the Red 5 also created the first game f2p (not moba or battle royal) with no p2w, people could earn premium currency by trading in the market just by playing the game, they weren’t afraid to change some of the core features of the game just because the community feedback (still is a very rare thing today), the game was an horizontal progression MMO (I think that don’t exist anything like that out there), the exp. got by playing an engineer wasn’t locked so we could use it to progress other classes skill trees like recon, assault… (I think that changed later) while in most multiclass games we need to play that class in order to progress it, and all that with Mr. Grummz leading.
And one of the most important things, the game wasn’t boring, forcing players to grind to get progression, I could easily get resources without thumping, just by helping other players thumping, doing random events or fighting chosen (again, I think that don’t exist anything like that out there, since most games only have one way to play and players need to do that for progression over and over, dozens of times, hundreds of times…), it was so fun that every time a new update with tutorial story content arrives, I just deleted my character and made a new one right away to try it, and I never felt that I was losing time doing that.
Of course, he did some mistakes, like spending too much in advertising rather than the game, or that part when they limited the garage for only 3 or 4 slots for battleframes with others being unlocked for real money (but they took it back some months later), and some people talk a lot about the bus (that I think the idea was not a mistake since will save a lot of money on conventions and advertise the game through the country or even the world) that he didn’t pay.

I didn’t like everything in Firefall, I didn’t like the design of the characters (but the world was amazing), I hated the battleframes concept since they remember me about bikini armour (just eye candy and fan service but not realist, I prefer armour concepts more like Warframe or Anthem, maybe that’s why he changed the first concept of the omniframe) but the gameplay was awesome (and lore even greater).
And things (most of them) got a lot worst after Mr. Grummz leaves, like p2w, vertical progression, loot boxes where we need to buy keys with real money to open them… just a few things got better like the instanced and repeatable story content with difficulty sliders and for solo or groups.

The only concerns that I have about this game are only about the buyable expansions because we just don’t know what they have, and he proved that he can make a game without p2w.

If Firefall was a demo of what Mr. Grummz is capable, I think he deserves all support and money we can give.

What do you think?

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2016
Here are some reasons from me why I support this:
  1. Firefall was a great game that dated more than a decade ago. It was and had a genre unlike any other. Besides Planetside 2, what other open world FPS do you know about? The market is flooded with almost RPG copies of each other.
  2. Firefall had the potential in the long run, but was screwed by The9 by envisioning it into a ‘WoW with guns’ In the later patches. They overrode Grummz’s idea of the game under the reasoning that they were the ones doing the financial leg work.
  3. Grummz spearheaded this genre for a long time. Even now, you probably have know others in this genre. You had Tabula Rasa before it was closed down. Pantropy and just recently, The Cycle. From what I know, Anthem published by EA in the AAA side.
  4. As far as P2W is concerned nowadays, I’d give up after a few days or within the week if the game has it. Besides, what point competing in PvP if the other players shelled out for disproportionate advantages?
  5. Don’t get me started about loot boxes/crates/surprise mechanics/supply caches.

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
I'm gonna say it here and now
truth, I don't care about Grummz
BUT what I do care about him is his capability and merits (though he doesn't always has the brain, too much hype/promises/goal etc.)
Yeah, the mount was a real boner killer for me, but they just non-combat mounts
as long we getting vehicles and I can ride a mother of all tanks into war, I don't care about mounts.

*BOOM*
BACK TO TOPIC

look at his achievement
LOOK AT IT! HE HAS THE ABILITY TO CREATE MOTHERF*CKING LEGENDARY GAMES!
AND IT'S F*CKING TIME FOR A NEW LEGEND!

WE!
NEED!
HIM!

and in current era, we can't achieve that in conventional ways, NO MORE STUPID CORPORATE OVERLORDS!
AND FOR THAT

HE!
NEED!
US!

THE ONLY CHINESE OVERLORD I'LL ACCEPT IS THE GREAT LORD GRUMMZIFER HIMSELF!

what I believe in him?
The capability to change the video game industry back into the right direction
AND HE CAN'T DO THAT ALONE
WE HAVE TO UNITE AND FIGHT BACK (EVEN BY FORCE)

(would write more, but kids are attention whoring right now and f*cked up my flow -.- )

Sep 2, 2017
As many others here, I was a FF player, and I´m here because so far, I ilke the project, demos have shown the potential of the idea, the movement and concept got the blood of FF, so I like it and I want it done, yes, I want FF back, and for now, this is the way

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Like to add my thoughts in the mix.

Why i think people possibly complain:

- Perhaps they are impatient
- Perhaps they do not understand the full ideas of Em8er's direction
- Perhaps they remember the past mistakes and take it to Em8er
- Perhaps there is a fear the game would not be made
- Perhaps the forum is nice and they need to complain to feel good?

My thoughts so far:

- It is taking a while but that is to be expected i am hoping the progress is continuing.
- I have found out in life and in games people complain even at home hmm
- This is the nicest looking forum and easy on the eyes compared to the firefall one.
- There are people with varied views and ideas that could benefit on the direction of Em8er.
- I have yet to see this beautiful bike when are you arriving?
- The community is growing which can only get better with more progress keep on clucking

I'm gonna say it here and now
truth, I don't care about Grummz
To be fair you should care he is not a kaiju!

Jan 26, 2017
Portugal
Like to add my thoughts in the mix.

Why i think people possibly complain:

- Perhaps they are impatient
- Perhaps they do not understand the full ideas of Em8er's direction
- Perhaps they remember the past mistakes and take it to Em8er
- Perhaps there is a fear the game would not be made
- Perhaps the forum is nice and they need to complain to feel good?
Well you have to understand Panda, it's not like people aren't without a reason to be impatient or doubtful. Grummz & Co. are on thin ice after Firefall, and regardless of whether that suspicion is justified or not, it still looms among a lot of the community. And people are seeing subscription services for items for a game that doesn't exist yet, when the indiegogo was so successful, meanwhile the update videos have stopped and progress updates have slowed down (probably because there just isn't much of interest to show yet) and we already got Omniframes being scrapped and redesigned, and mounts which were never in the vision books, so people are scared that Em8ER will be victim to the same constant changes of direction that Firefall suffered from.

- There are people with varied views and ideas that could benefit on the direction of Em8er.
A little out of topic, but this post made me think: there's so many backseat game designers on this forum... And to them I say: just let Grummz and his people work, your ideas aren't gonna get into the game. There's a difference between game devs listening to the community and listening to forum goers spouting random ideas, so it's best not to start daydreaming because then you might be disappointed.

Last edited:

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
best not to start daydreaming because then you might be disappointed.
I seem to do that often!

Like this forum because of all those ideas and thoughts some i may disagree with and some totally like.

we already got Omniframes being scrapped and redesign, and mounts which were never in the vision books
Perhaps there could be a revision of the vision book i dont know?

There is always going to be some tweaks and changes somewhere even to make it better but i can see the concern now if there is too much changes then it may drift to another route.

Although some changes could be good as long as it could fit in the world of Em8er do remember there is going to be different Biomes so sometimes my imagination can run off :D

Wyntyr

Omni Ace
Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Florida
Loved FF. Started in closed beta and played through to game closure (not much play time near the end). Got an invite from a family member, starting point Copacabana with no tutorial, and went out exploring FF's open world. Shot some stuff, meandered around, and then found a melding tornado. SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY! Purchased a Commander pack for a F2P game. Em.8ER is a successor attempt. Not FF but with similarities. Found out about it early, before FF's shutdown, and I've been around for all of the funding milestones which I have put some funds toward on each one (even if only $1). I subbed the day it went live. Kickstarter will be in 2020 and I'll send them some more funds. For peeps with concerns/objections to funding anything Em.8ER related...your concerns/objections are valid. All I ask is that you take some time to review Em.8ER's development (if you haven't done so already). See what Crixa has done so far, see what Grummz has stated about his past with FF, speak to the community on Discord or the forums, and fund or do not fund based on your examination. It's ok to be...

and...

But not...

Myself...

Faeryl

Omni Ace
Staff member
Community Manager
Kaiju Slayer
Jul 26, 2016
Planet Earth, USA, East Coast
discord.gg
Ditto the "STUFF" for me!!
I got into Firefall AFTER and BECAUSE of Wyntyr. ❤️❤️❤️

I remember the first time I saw Firefall: I was watching over Wyntyr's shoulders on a day when he was playing Firefall and I recall saying, "Oooooh what game is THAT??? Next thing you know, I'm in there with Wyntyr and our small group fighting the Chosen invasions, going into Melding Tornadoes, Thumping on XP Valley, and in general just having a BLAST of a GREAT time!

We also would team up with folks from other armies; back when you had to have a key to get into Blackwater Anomaly. A large group of something like 20 people would just keep running the same scenario over and over until all 20 people got what they needed to continue.

Not to mention that Wyntyr bought me a Commander pack too because we were enjoying the game so much!! I don't even remember playing any other games after I started playing Firefall!!

When we found out about Em-8ER, the IDEA sounded really AWESOME and I wanted to know more! That's when I joined the Ember Discord.

For peeps with concerns/objections to funding anything Em.8ER related...your concerns/objections are valid. All I ask is that you take some time to review Em.8ER's development (if you haven't done so already). See what Crixa has done so far, see what Grummz has stated about his past with FF, speak to the community on Discord or the forums, and fund or do not fund based on your examination. It's ok to be...

(( image #1 ))

and...

(( image #2 ))

But not...

(( image #3 ))
↑ This is a ditto from me too.

I would add to that ---
Try to keep an open mind.
Ask many questions, easy and difficult.
Always give lots of constructive feedback, good or bad.

The Dev Team needs to know, good or bad, easy or difficult, constructive feedback and questions from the ENTIRE community on Em-8ER.

The community gave feedback on the Mk. I Medium Omniframe and after considering that feedback, the Dev Team made the decision to change it. So Em-8ER now has Mk. II Medium Omniframe.

And for myself as well ...

Wyntyr

Omni Ace
Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Florida
on topic:
If it’s any consolation, I do wanted to have kaijus we can control or change into.
Or both. Who’s to say can’t have both?
I doubt we'll have either one. Killing them should be fun and perhaps just releasing them from Tsi-Hu control will allow them to spread their destructive love around a bit more.

NF85

Omega Founder
Jul 28, 2016
Well, for no other reasons then expecting a spiritual sucessor of FF.

Open beta in FF was one of my best times in any mmo so i know there is a potensional for a good game here when it comes to the gameplay based on the kickstarter description of what the game is aimed to be.

If it will be something i like, that can only beta test versions of game tell, and that is why i do not follow the development at all as things will change during its creation.
When a game is in open beta major changes rarly happends. (ofc it did with FF but that is a different story)