enough skins...

Rawgi

Deepstriker
Sep 9, 2016
CA,USA
I will agree, some of us are here to play the game not ogle outfits that probably could be males if it is like Firefall. And how about the subscription stuff? I am I to believe that this will be a subscription game, having to pay monthly to play this? I did not want to play Warcraft.

Jan 26, 2017
Portugal
This is very fair. I also would rather see some more development instead of them trying to sell us skins for a game that doesn't exist yet...

EDIT: I absolutely appreciate the work that has been done so far, and I am very excited for the game and I love how everything is coming together... but can you blame me for having little interest in purchasing a subscription service for skins for a game that's a while away from its Kickstarter campaign, let alone from being released in early access?
I am absolutely impressed with the work that we've been shown so far. Considering how hard it is to make any kind of game, let alone an MMO, what you've acheived so far with such limited financing and in a relatively short amount of time is nothing short of a miracle. I hope you can continue to keep this up. But crowdfunded games are full of horror stories, so until I see the skins in-game, I have little interest in purchasing them.

Last edited:

Thorp

Omni Ace
Jul 27, 2016
California, CA
I wouldn't put too much weight on the notion that these skins are slowing production of Em8er. These skins are being produced by a commission artist. No significant amount of dev coding time is being spent on skins.

Grummz is currently the only full time dev until the Kickstarter which will not take place until this forum has 20,000 users. Currently these skins are just art. Once the Kickstarter is funded then Em8er will partition devs into full time development of the game. These skins will not be developed until much later in the process.

am I to believe that this will be a subscription game, having to pay monthly to play this? I did not want to play Warcraft.
Grummz has confirmed multiple times that Em8er will not be subscription based. Em8er fully intends to have the same f2p style model as Firefall but players need to buy a copy of the game first. Em8er will be a buy to play with no restrictive elements. The subscription is completely optional and in its current form provides players the opportunity to gradually support server upkeep and provide more financially stability to the server maintenance. The reward of skins and other digital items are a 'thank you' to subscribers and the rewards will be rarely seen again on the in-game store.

Lastly for any concerns about the art clothing being too revealing, Grummz has confirmed players will be able to toggle what they see in-game for a more modest appearance.

Dam13n

Mar 4, 2019

Too Soon?

Nah, Really appreciate that we already have an alpha-ish game and get that it needs funding but it is taking its sweet time.

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Lastly for any concerns about the art clothing being too revealing, Grummz has confirmed players will be able to toggle what they see in-game for a more modest appearance.
And yet nothing has been shown for what an alternate view will look like. The one and ONLY male skin isn't even a g-suit.

I realize there will need to be a "chastity" setting, but I also had the idea that we need to have a temperature setting as well. Em-8er gets really really cold, so cold that most of the ice on the planet will be made out of SO4 and CO2. Any exposed skin would result in almost instant death. For those of us who prefer at least a little realism, there should be an alternate setting that has anyone wearing outfits with exposed skin auto cover up when heading below a certain temperature point.

Another thought, I actually figured that one of the options with g-suits is the ability to control both the color scheme and opacity, meaning you can turn some parts of your suit clear or somewhat transparent (purely for asthetics), but would keep the player fully insulated.

The only real problem with all of this is head covering. None of the g-suit designs so far have had helmets, which would be absolutely required for temperature control.

Dam13n

Mar 4, 2019
A compromise.

Grummz. I get it's hard to get gameplay going BUT. the mockup is coming no? The gliding, sliding, the base feel of the movement. It's there, not perfect, but Cuddle you.

So far, you got this, trust your instincts. But you gotta wow the people..

Now is the time to wow people.

Rawgi

Deepstriker
Sep 9, 2016
CA,USA
I would like to know how you can call a game Free To Play, when you have to buy the game to start with? What about the DLC? One time purchase for that too?

Thorp

Omni Ace
Jul 27, 2016
California, CA
I would like to know how you can call a game Free To Play, when you have to buy the game to start with? What about the DLC? One time purchase for that too?
How DLC will be distributed has not been set in stone yet and obviously won't have a final say until the game is released. Grummz has mentioned that he would like to see crowd-funded expansions where everyone will have the benefit of expansion content but are not required to participate in the funding. To paraphrase the communcation from streams and discord, Grummz doesn't want to have players stuck behind expansion barriers therefore as long as the player crowdfund the expansions each expansion will be free to all players regardless if they participated in the funding. So far in the development of Em8er I would expect some sort of 'thank you' reward, likely cosmetic, for participating in expansion crowdfunding.

As far as categorizing the game as "Free to Play", that is certainly not an accurate description. Em8er is a "Buy to Play" and then play free until the servers are shut down (when the apocalypse happens). Servers funding will be maintained by in-game purchases such as cosmetics as well as a totally optional monthly subscription.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
g-suits is the ability to control both the color scheme and opacity, meaning you can turn some parts of your suit clear or somewhat transparent (purely for asthetics), but would keep the player fully insulated.

The only real problem with all of this is head covering. None of the g-suit designs so far have had helmets, which would be absolutely required for temperature control.
Full covered suits and helmets are always cool and love to see the different styles of helmets they could have and even hats!

Like the idea of making certain outfits clear for example say you were injured and your suit could make a part clear to see the wound underneath and when your health goes up as the suit fixes you the wound would seal and eventually look back to normal and the suit section.

For aesthetics clear parts for the helmet to see the face or half the face etc etc

There is more female character art work and not enough male art work that i have noticed hope there will be more male character art too.

With regards to the art and character model can we see customization so that they could be less muscular or have different body frames some may prefer a slim character and others may prefer a more imposing muscular figure etc etc

I like to see a character art with more olive skin or black skin etc etc perhaps there is a zebra skin character feature but then that could be like a camouflage even for the body paint too which does look good.

Also those uv paints that can glow perhaps across the lips or the face etc etc etc

I like skins but for me individuality is important and it does help to fund the game too so yes.
However as most people are saying the gameplay is where interest are mainly focused.

Some like to be half creatures like myself as a panda or such i know it doesn't sound great to some but i like it. Perhaps its because of starfox and all those games and things that have influenced me then again sometimes like to be a cyborg with metal like features or even alien like hmm

Going to refer to warframe but i know more folks who have supported the game more with skins because they want to showcase or look a certain way.

Some skins even have special effects like one of the volt proto skin with the energy surging through it.
Others have different armor plates and some just look very weird but thats a thing too.

Rawgi

Deepstriker
Sep 9, 2016
CA,USA
How DLC will be distributed has not been set in stone yet and obviously won't have a final say until the game is released. Grummz has mentioned that he would like to see crowd-funded expansions where everyone will have the benefit of expansion content but are not required to participate in the funding. To paraphrase the communcation from streams and discord, Grummz doesn't want to have players stuck behind expansion barriers therefore as long as the player crowdfund the expansions each expansion will be free to all players regardless if they participated in the funding. So far in the development of Em8er I would expect some sort of 'thank you' reward, likely cosmetic, for participating in expansion crowdfunding.

As far as categorizing the game as "Free to Play", that is certainly not an accurate description. Em8er is a "Buy to Play" and then play free until the servers are shut down (when the apocalypse happens). Servers funding will be maintained by in-game purchases such as cosmetics as well as a totally optional monthly subscription.
Ok I understand what you are saying. Now what is the difference in playing on a free account or rather what do you gain by subscribing? Also if there is not enough money generated by subscribers and people buying their way to advance, will the game have an ending like FireFall when the cash runs out , and they can't pay the employees? I am not trying to be difficult, I played FireFall right to the end and really don't want a repeat of that experience. I know we can't predict the future, but FireFall didn't have to end like that, and one would hope something was learned from what happened there at Red 5. One last point, so what happens if you weren't part of the " crowd funding " and weren't a subscriber, are you then restricted on your game play? Like how is your game experience going to be if you can't buy all the good weapons and stuff for your frame, because some of us don't have a lot of surplus income to throw at games, compared to the people that work 50 hours a week, have deep wallets, and can buy their way ahead?

Thorp

Omni Ace
Jul 27, 2016
California, CA
how is your game experience going to be if you can't buy all the good weapons and stuff for your frame
Only cosmetic items can be purchased in the future Em8er game store. There may be exp boosters but there will be no endgame gear to buy; only skins.

what is the difference in playing on a free account or rather what do you gain by subscribing?
There is no gameplay difference. Subscribing merely rewards the subscriber with that month's skin and access to dev PDFs that contain the growing lore, crixa, and other digital text/image goodness. The skins rewarded to subscribers will rarely be purchaseable on the in-game store so don't feel like they're gone forever.

Will the game have an ending like FireFall when the cash runs out. [...] I played FireFall right to the end and really don't want a repeat of that experience.
Currently subscribers keep the servers running. In-game sales will help push production. Further crowdfunding campaigns will provide more funding and benefit all players even the ones who don't participate. It's up to the dev team to continue convincing people to funnel money into the game. Grummz wants players to fund fun gameplay not buy inventory space expansions. It's up to the future to tell how long Em8er lives.

so what happens if you weren't part of the " crowd funding " and weren't a subscriber, are you then restricted on your game play?
No. Grummz has stated that once you buy the game you get full access and also get full access to all future expansions regardless if you participate in the funding. Expansions and all content is crowdfunded and as long as the crowd pays for continued development everyone regardless of participation will have full access; nobody is left behind.

Rawgi

Deepstriker
Sep 9, 2016
CA,USA
Well thank you Thorp, you have been very informative. I am not trying to put any negativity out there, just verify how and what the game is going to be. The more we understand the goals of the game as it effects us, the better people can confidently invest in it's continued support. Lets hope that progress is kept organized as that gives a clearer picture of enjoyment we can expect from Em8er. Grummz has some kind of experience to get this up and as far along as it is.

May 14, 2017
To be honest I occasionally visit just to see how things are going but there is rarely any improvement in development. It's almost always artwork or something shiny to draw in money, but no real progress. It would be nice to see the devs truly focused on developing content.

I wouldn't mind supporting the devs if I had seen some true progress, but I've only seen what any mediocre indie developer could create with the unreal engine.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
To be honest I occasionally visit just to see how things are going but there is rarely any improvement in development. It's almost always artwork or something shiny to draw in money, but no real progress. It would be nice to see the devs truly focused on developing content.

I wouldn't mind supporting the devs if I had seen some true progress, but I've only seen what any mediocre indie developer could create with the unreal engine.
It is taking time yes & money needs to come somewhere.

This could give an idea of what the plans are and the progress made:

https://trello.com/b/S0qcjuNv/em-8er

Rawgi

Deepstriker
Sep 9, 2016
CA,USA
Now all this money talk is just my saying how it looks to me. I don't know for sure , it's just my opinion, and i could be way off. Used to be games were pay to play, then they all ran to Free to play, now the move to subscription based games, who knows where it will stop.