Free 2 Play

Djepetto

Deepscanner
Oct 1, 2016
I mean, sit back and take a look at some of the free 2 play tycoons today. I won't name any here but I'm sure most of us are familiar with them. Matter of fact, a few of them use the Unreal Engine. I'm not objective to a free 2 play system at all. Just thinking about the cosmetics for our mechs and characters threw an Ember Store alone... Just steer very clear of being a pay 2 win system. Dare I say, sort of like WarFrame. There would definitely be no shortage of population or new players. I think it would benefit Ember tremendously to follow trend. Also some type of, Battle Pass." I'm not saying Ember should mirror Free 2 play systems. I definitely believe it all should be as unique as Ember itself.

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Grummz has already been fairly clear on exactly how Em-8er will be monetized. It has been stated that the game will be buy to play, with indie pricing. In addition there will be a lot of cosmetic stuff sold in a store.

EDIT: All but the very first kickstarter has had copies of the game as one of the core rewards for backing. Changing it from Buy to Play to F2P would be a rather large kick in the pants for everyone who has supported Grummz to date.

zdoofop

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Noneofyourbeeswaxistan
Changing it from Buy to Play to F2P would be a rather large kick in the pants for everyone who has supported Grummz to date.
of course, some devs have no ualms about lying to their backers. Whether big g does remains to be seen, but for now, all signs point to no. Well, most signs, there have been significant changes from what we were originally promised.

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
While I might not personally believe all of the bad press, there has been enough controversy surrounding Kern that it would be very risky for him to alienate his current Em-8ber fanbase.

Djepetto

Deepscanner
Oct 1, 2016
Grummz has already been fairly clear on exactly how Em-8er will be monetized. It has been stated that the game will be buy to play, with indie pricing. In addition there will be a lot of cosmetic stuff sold in a store.

EDIT: All but the very first kickstarter has had copies of the game as one of the core rewards for backing. Changing it from Buy to Play to F2P would be a rather large kick in the pants for everyone who has supported Grummz to date.
Changes can be made with out a huge risk.... Give me a few exclusive in game items and i'm fine..

Chz

Terraformer
Jul 26, 2016
As long as those that backed the game early are compensated properly I can live with the game going F2P if it means it will be more successful.

I remember when MOBAs started showing up Heroes of Newerth was Buy to Play and League of Legends was Free to Play, LoL became a world wide sensation and HoN faded into obscurity and I think the business model had a big part on that

Temp

Jun 1, 2019
Buy to play is guaranteed income while F2P is more of a gambling situation for a studio.
Let's not forget that a lot of studios shut down despite going F2P because of poor monetization and fear of upsetting the current playerbase with P2W.

From what i've seen, it's very possible that they are following Anthem and Destiny 2's pricing plan but ironically both have gone F2P.

Wyntyr

Omni Ace
Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Florida
Buy to play is guaranteed income while F2P is more of a gambling situation for a studio.
Let's not forget that a lot of studios shut down despite going F2P because of poor monetization and fear of upsetting the current playerbase with P2W.
P2P is only guaranteed if peeps pay it...true with F2P and remember that with F2P the game has to have systems in place to goad peeps into paying for things that wouldn't have been instituted into a typical P2P game.

From what i've seen, it's very possible that they are following Anthem and Destiny 2's pricing plan but ironically both have gone F2P.
That I'm aware of neither of these is currently F2P. Anthem has had some rumors but nothing confirmed and Destiny 2 will only be free up through the current releases as it's next DLC will be P2P.