I would like to see this run on LInux...

Jul 26, 2016
I have dropped Windows and moved entirely to Linus, and would sure like to see this as a cross platform game. Apparently is easier done now than in the past, and while I am not a programmer, my understanding is that if it is written with OpenGL instead of DirectX, it is much easier to build it for Windows and Linux and even include MacOSX, XBox (since it is already being integrated into Win10 or vice-versa), and Playstation.
Has any thought or consideration been given to this?

Jul 27, 2016
US
I use Linux. Would love to see a linux version. But honestly with our limited resources, can't promise anything.
I haven't dug deep enough into Unreal 4 ever to really get a feel for how hard it is to do, but my limited experience showed me that the default engine exports try to do their absolute best. I moved to Windows originally because I wanted to try Firefall. I think it would be pretty awesome if Unreal made it a possibility for Ember to be cross platform in the future without having to jump through an insane number of hoops.

Heron

Jul 28, 2016
I want to voice my support for a Linux version. I loved the Firefall beta, but I no longer use Windows in any capacity. If you bring Ember to Linux, and it really turns out to be what Firefall was supposed to be, you'll have a guaranteed sale here.

Jul 28, 2016
Yes please, Linux support!

Sick of Windwoes and Microsoft, and their stranglehold on gaming. Windows 10 has spyware built in, nothing for the end user to add. It's a feature! :( And one they're updating Windows 7 & 8 with.

Have you considered looking at Cloud Imperium Games (Star Citizen) funding model? I know you won't have an infinite number of frames to sell but perhaps a Kickstarter/GoFundMe followed by selling skins for the frames?

Dr Doom

Jul 27, 2016
I might suggest you take Ubuntu, that is much friendlier and would allow you to play any game that runs on windows. I might turn back to Ubuntu if this windows 10 will no longer be free.
Also, regardless what kind of linux software you use, today, mostly all of them have some kind of software that will allow you to play any wondows based game.

PS: in case you are wondering where to find Ubuntu
www.ubuntu.com

Nihlus

Jul 28, 2016
github.com
I'm entirely behind a Linux version too. If you do decide to give it a whirl, I'd be happy to lend a hand. I do UE4 game development on Linux, and I've some experience with game programming in general.

TGVirus

Firstclaimer
Ark Liege
Jul 28, 2016
Bucharest, Romania
Yes on Unix and yes on OpenGL... ill have none of that proprietary crap. Dont know about the money aspect of development, but i dont think that OpenGL costs more to make than DX.

Also more platforms=more fanbase :)

Dremor

Jul 27, 2016
Dont know about the money aspect of development, but i dont think that OpenGL costs more to make than DX.
Yes, OpenGL games are more expensive than DirectX ones, not because it is harder to code with it, but because there is less people that where trained to use it. But in our case, Unreal already have an OpenGL renderer, so it won't be a problem.

Also more platforms=more fanbase :)
And Linux fans are known for being hardcore ones :cool: