Jetpack / Glider functionality

Volgrim

Forerunner
Jan 14, 2019
I recently saw a video displaying some gameplay and the glider mainly caught my attention.

While I think ragdoll is neat in some cases, mostly death, I think an even cooler system could be put in place of a not so stable landing.

Currently, if you are at an odd angle, your character kind of flops as you fail to land in a stable way. Good idea, but instead of an embarrassing punishment, it could look really cool instead!

Think super hero landing. Depending on what angle you hit a surface, the game calculates which animation to play. Say you come in sideways on your right side. Your character grabs the surface with their right hand and slides to a stop in a cool way.

If you come in hot dive bomb style? Or say you are jet packing and dont give enough thrust before landing? Bam, super hero landing. Pound the ground, play sounds and dust up effects, play an animation with a bit of a time delay to punish the player, but also look cool doing it.

What do you guys think?

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
I recently saw a video displaying some gameplay and the glider mainly caught my attention.

While I think ragdoll is neat in some cases, mostly death, I think an even cooler system could be put in place of a not so stable landing.

Currently, if you are at an odd angle, your character kind of flops as you fail to land in a stable way. Good idea, but instead of an embarrassing punishment, it could look really cool instead!

Think super hero landing. Depending on what angle you hit a surface, the game calculates which animation to play. Say you come in sideways on your right side. Your character grabs the surface with their right hand and slides to a stop in a cool way.

If you come in hot dive bomb style? Or say you are jet packing and dont give enough thrust before landing? Bam, super hero landing. Pound the ground, play sounds and dust up effects, play an animation with a bit of a time delay to punish the player, but also look cool doing it.

What do you guys think?
neat idea

A) landing done well and in style think we all want to do that for sure so i like this idea :cool:

B) landing done badly and hitting a wall it is bound to happen at some point :p

Faeryl

Omni Ace
Staff member
Community Manager
Kaiju Slayer
Jul 26, 2016
Planet Earth, USA, East Coast
discord.gg
Dauntless sells animations like this through their in-game shop. They call them "Island Arrivals". They are animations that players can equip for their characters to have different landings on the islands. I believe there's one for each weapon type. They also added a few island arrivals for their named holidays: Dark Harvest (fall festival) and Frostfall (winter festival).

It's an interesting idea to have different "arrival" animations. Maybe Em-8ER could have different landing animations.

Keep in mind, these would most likely be a feature the devs could add to Em-8ER sometime after its release; as Wyntyr said IF time and funds allow for it.

These and other additions would follow after the success of the Kickstarter campaign, which is when entire Em-8ER Dev Team will be brought on full-time to fully develop the rest of the game.