Does Udon art style really fit Ember universe?

Does Udon art style really fit Ember universe?

• yes

Votes: 36 85.7%
  • no

Votes: 6 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sik San

Deepscanner
Jul 26, 2016
I don't mind anime style, but I rly hope Ember won't be looking like "firefall/borderlands" with it's "paper" eyetearing textures.

Jul 26, 2016
Actually that's a good example of the concept.
If you boot up Deadspace now or Doom 3 now, old Halo games and the graphics seem dated while Borderlands doesn't.

I would really like to know what artist made all the Firefall doctors posters and artwork. That is some good work.
Mark should know :)

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
I'm torn on it, personally. I agree that a stylized art style holds the test of time much much better. But I also really love the new PBR materials and realistic looking frames. We're going to experiment with Udon and non-Udon styles. Maybe even try to mix it a bit...Udon style characters in realistic frames. Might work, might not. Might look like Appleseed (the CGI version), which would be cool.

Jul 27, 2016
I'm torn on it, personally. I agree that a stylized art style holds the test of time much much better. But I also really love the new PBR materials and realistic looking frames. We're going to experiment with Udon and non-Udon styles. Maybe even try to mix it a bit...Udon style characters in realistic frames. Might work, might not. Might look like Appleseed (the CGI version), which would be cool.
Sure?
appleseed_ex_machina_349_1280.jpg

Sn0wfIak3

Jul 27, 2016
Yes, though more of a Disney style than an asian one.

Personally, I really liked the style used in Firefall, though I would have liked the frames to look a little more armoured. Bared tummies are nice, but the context needs to fit as well.
Ah. Tnks. I did like the idea they were going with though.

To me it felt somewhat "Pixar".

Yrkul

Jul 27, 2016
Ah. Tnks. I did like the idea they were going with though.

To me it felt somewhat "Pixar".
Exactly.

I think a more stylized character design is the way to go. WoW demonstrated the longevity of this approach, and had to update their graphics only after more years than most MMOs live and die. Facial expressions are also more visible on stylized facial features.

There are also psychological factors speaking in favour of more cartoonish designs, but that discussion'll get very dry and theory-heavy quickly. :D

Sn0wfIak3

Jul 27, 2016
Exactly.

I think a more stylized character design is the way to go. WoW demonstrated the longevity of this approach, and had to update their graphics only after more years than most MMOs live and die. Facial expressions are also more visible on stylized facial features.

There are also psychological factors speaking in favour of more cartoonish designs, but that discussion'll get very dry and theory-heavy quickly. :D

It does remind me of FF, somewhat.

Sn0wfIak3

Jul 27, 2016
Hehe. Your brain tend to fill in blanks and make associative connections. :) Meaning you'll have an easier time relating to stylized avatars.
Hehe, you caught me. Still...

It does lack emotion, but in general i kinda see the similarity. It still remains pretty Pixar to me. A mix between anime, reality and Disney.