Thoughts on EmberFall and your place in the game?

Gordro

Omniframe Inventor
Jul 26, 2016
England
From the get go, Ember was driven by the players. The call for the game came from the rants on the Firefall website and there was much politics invoived.

Initially I was sceptical, but I put some cash down "in case" after all, Mark had done it before no matter what I was reading, so I thought "a few quid for the possibility of a Firefall once the servers have shut down.

Skip forward a year and I am amazed at what has been accomplished on sod all cash. I don't know how the people working on this support their champagne lifestyles but i assume most of them are doing it for love, have real jobs, or Mark has incriminating photos of em.

I've been wasting my life away on online games for almost 30 years, from text muds to the first of the "real MMORPGS" Asheron's Call, Ultima Online, Everquest etc to the "new clones" like WoW and DaoC all the way to the latest.

A lot of these games I was in the various betas, who can forget trying to get fake Korean social security numbers in order to play the Korean beta of WoW?

Many of these games I have felt like i was "part" of something, guild wars 2 and the new DaoC stand out, with players looking like they were involved. But until Ember, nothing (aside from Asheron's Call and their mentor program) seems to really involve the players.

There is something about the process being used here and the huge amount of information being sent our way that seems to shout "this game is being made for and by you"! rather than, "here's a game, lets try and sell it to you"

Hmm all this wall of text and I was just thinking of the founders wall in-game.

Not sure what the point was, but I really cant be bothered to scroll to the start.

Have a great day :)

Gordro

Omniframe Inventor
Jul 26, 2016
England
If you dont know some of these games, then your too young to play computer games, they aren't for kids you know!"!
Dammit Gordro, once again you prove how wise you are, you should probably be living in your PJs in a cave somewhere, or maybe you will be once the wife has her way......

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Here are my thoughts i am quite selective of the games that i play mainly because of interest in certain genres and if it has co-op etc

Wouldn't of discovered about firefall if i never played global agenda and when that died heard of this Firefall which sounded interesting. Glad that i took a chance but still wonder if a mario kart mash up with firefall happened sometimes, well quite often i mean the chosen had nice bikes wonder if they could chop the wheels of the riders with their saw blades it be more like road rash mashed with super mario kart mashed with starwars pod racer mashed with destruction derby mashed with wipe out mashed with need for speed underground 2!!!

Then i wondered what if you could click on a rider and ask to race them where ever you are just like in need for speed underground 2. Then get a notification to accept race or decline that would be great i think to earn some credits to use for the bike upgrades hmm.

Dammit Gordro, once again you prove how wise you are, you should probably be living in your PJs in a cave somewhere, or maybe you will be once the wife has her way......
Pj's are very important in the stressful world we live in your sofa becomes a temporary bed the chair becomes a bed the bed becomes a trampoline but when the wife arrives look like your working hard on your best behaviour run upstairs jump on the bed a few times look concerned and tell the wife its an earth quake put some fake news on and watch a scary romantic sci-fi fantasy thriller action movie together very romantic this :eek:

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
"be more like road rash mashed with super mario kart mashed with starwars pod racer mashed with destruction derby mashed with wipe out mashed with need for speed underground 2!!!"

Sounds like traditional Irish cooking. Just drink it through a straw now. (Man I loved Dennis Leary back in the day)

I miss a world to wander in. The freedom to do what ever my mood feels likes and still have the sense of accomplishing progressively. All online games connect with people, but firefall had an essence that has since been lost to me. I can almost guarantee which of the major names on these boards will be doing in the game and I look forward to catching up to them, side by side, and crushing the enemy or gathering resources for the world. Hell I even look forward to falling in a last stand as the A.I. has finally unleashed the map wipe tidal wave that will be impossible to defend.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Sounds like traditional Irish cooking. Just drink it through a straw now.
potato cake!
1534940614908.jpeg

I miss a world to wander in. The freedom to do what ever my mood feels likes and still have the sense of accomplishing progressively. All online games connect with people, but firefall had an essence that has since been lost to me.
100% agree with you on this!!!

Gordro

Omniframe Inventor
Jul 26, 2016
England
All online games connect with people, but firefall had an essence that has since been lost to me.
A lot of this was the open world aspect.

Yeah there were instances, but for the main, people were running about in the world.

People had places that they felt was their "home" and tended to hand out there, making the world seem believable and more "real"

I keep harping back to Asheron's Call, but the same thing was in that game, no instances. Even the dungeons were all on the same land mass, you could wait for people to do the quest/dungeon and tag along. People had areas that they considered their own turf. My main home was a town called Eastam, which seemed alive (more so when people played oc :p )

Down with instances and all their little goblin friends!!!

Silv3r Shadow

Max Kahuna
Max Kahuna
Kaiju Slayer
Jul 29, 2016
A chance to get the best elements from one of my favourite games (faufau) into this one, I'm all in to support this.

But why myself want EM-8ER? Apart from faufau.
Well...
To me the game industry had changed too much, games used to be all quality, story and breaking boundaries. I was always wowed at new releases. But now, most AAA titles are designed for console release, cutting corners, etc, PC games will always be the quality platform. Games that advertise using Xbox or PS brand I avoid, unless it originates from PC. Like Warframe, Overwatch etc.

I don't buy single player games anymore, too many are completed within 6 hours of the hardest difficulty. I might get FF14 though.

To more of the question with EM-8ER. Like online games, you hold a status, everyone has a status and are known by it, like tourgue with his caps-lock. You also get to choose what you want to do and always know that you've got other players with you in the game.

Could probably go on and on about games like EA. But yeah, I wish for the best for this game, would be hard to get over without having this community.

zdoofop

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Noneofyourbeeswaxistan
I don't care to inflate @Grummz's ego any further, but here goes anyway...

many years ago, when I was just starting out with games, i had played both RTS games and thought "wouldn't it be cool to actually be one of these units rather than control them from the top down (btw if you enjoy rts's I HIGHLY recommend a game called warzone 2100.)

Fast forward to 2012: I was playing a bunch of mmos and came across Firefall, which I played for a little while, but then I left because I had too many mmo's on my plate already and i thought (foolishly) that it would always be around when i needed it.

Fast forward AGAIN to 2014: I saw FF had come out on Steam and thought "hey, I haven't played this in a while" so i got back into it and (eventually) went down with the ship. Why/ Because even with everything either ruined or broken, it was still the best game i had ever played. Now some games had come CLOSE (Xenoblade Chronicles X, Planetside 2, Oolite (FOSS game based on the original elite - highly recommended) just to name a few) but nothing could quite replace the jetpacking, first-third person switching, gender switching, all classes unlocking on a single character, shooting awesomeness that was Firefall. i contribute to and am a part of this community not (just) bcause I believe in a man that has a great deal of experience in the game industry (even if his 3d modeling skills are noob and his ego exceeds his accomplishments), but because I really want to play something, ANYTHING, like that again.

(seriously though Grummz your accomplishments may be great, but if you don't take care to keep your ego in check, it will become a weakness. if you don't believe me, consider what Blizzard did when you lobbied for Vanilla WoW.)

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
People had places that they felt was their "home" and tended to hand out there, making the world seem believable and more "real"
That is one part of what made it fun to know you weren't the only one on this adventure and to see some strange things going on such as pile up of bikes or stranger things!

To me the game industry had changed too much, games used to be all quality, story and breaking boundaries. I was always wowed at new releases. But now, most AAA titles are designed for console release, cutting corners, etc,
Your right, have not found many games that would wow me for quite sometime, surely em8er will be hmm

(seriously though Grummz your accomplishments may be great, but if you don't take care to keep your ego in check, it will become a weakness. if you don't believe me, consider what Blizzard did when you lobbied for Vanilla WoW.)
,decisions made leading to this abit of craziness, support and not forgetting luck it will workout

got just the thing try this my result doppelganger is Mondhi :D
https://www.sophia.org/online-courses-for-college-credit/ego-meter/