Periodical Large(r)-Scale Environmental Hazards/Weather Phenomena

Not...strictly...thinking of having anything like tornadoes.

Check this article about the latest news on the eruption in Hawaii: https://www.yahoo.com/news/deadly-acid-cloud-rises-over-hawaii-lava-streams-194119926.html

Article said:
About three miles (4.8 km) to the east of the plant on the coast, deadly clouds of acid and glass particles billowed into the sky as lava fell into the ocean from two flows blocking Highway 137, one of the main exit routes from the volcano area.
Laze -- a combination of "lava" and "haze" -- is a caustic a caustic mix of hydrochloric acid fumes, steam and fine volcanic glass specks created when erupting lava, which can reach 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit (1,093 degrees Celsius), reacts with sea water.
"If one were to be near the laze, because of the various acids, it would be corrosive to the eyes, the nose and respiratory tract, and the skin," Dr Alvin Bronstein from the Hawaii State Department of Health told journalists on a conference call.
Maybe there could be a similar, but obviously even more potent and dangerous phenomena that could occur from time to time, where such a haze would envelop and entire region. While our frames would sustain very minimal damage over-time from the constant exposure, it would be far more hazardous to un-shielded pilots. G-suits and past genetic engineering aside, humans could suffer serious effects if they were to be exposed to it, when their frames would get too damage or they would be caught in it, for whatever reason. It could cause a temporary lockdown for larger, more open bases, where outside activity (barring automated construction by basic builder-mechs and piloted omni-frames), would be reduced, as personnel would have to stay indoors. Of course, such periods could present opportunity for the Tsi-Hu and any other factions for an attack on those bases, maybe multiple bases, at the same time. Like, an invasion event.

Also, this could affect our navigation, communication and targeting systems, as well. Reducing sensor ranges, sensor precision (so objectives and enemies would be harder to track as any markers couldn't be placed completely accurately). In more concentrated pockets, it could reduce visibility and make it risky to use certain types of weapons, like, flamethrowers or shock weapons that could backfire and injure our frames and eventually us, if we're not careful.

Aug 14, 2016
I would love to see like hurricanes, monsoons, dust storms, and the like. Thing that don't just last for a few moments and they are over like tornadoes, but things that last for days and weeks covering whole areas and effecting everything.

Also because terraforming what would happen if there was error in the system or the enemy tried to counter our terraforming with their own? This is what can happen when something as simple as air pressure and the wind changes to fast.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Like the idea of the weather alert happening in the floating base or the one on ground
it gives the sense that not even the base is safe alerting on the screen with whatever weather alert there
is if some is too much the whole area goes into lock down.

What if we need to get out or to travel if your lucky very specialized vehicles called Space Bear aka space bean when the legs are folded in & Croachers can help.

The space bear is the evolution of the water bear

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...frozen-boiled-float-space-live-200-years.html

The space bear is a tough transporter it cannot be called too many times because of the high energy it consumes even repairs needed if the conditions are extreme. Space bear is used for flying as oppossed to the centipede which is for the ground

on the ground the Croacher think of it as a bus that is great for transport on the ground this is limited in use to in extreme condition.

Both transport could be used by collecting material/resources or special tickets to access perhaps.

Sometimes there is a chance the transporter may stop mid-way or even crash land in a unfamilar territory if the transport has not had enough time to refuel or repair!!

Degiance

Deepscanner
Jul 5, 2017
Finland
degiance.deviantart.com
Heavy magnetic storms with lightning and sulphur storms where the sulphur messes with the radar and proximity sensors.

I'd like to exprience a double tornado with auroras on the night sky while i'm going toe to toe with a big kai-ju, as i'm recording the entire thing.
With lava spewing out at certain spots creating this unreal beatiful scene that makes any person say:"It's a beautiful day to die."

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
I would imagine that the most frequent weather anomaly on an ice planet with lava would be ice storms, particularly at the edges of major lava flows where the evaporated Sulfur Dioxide melted by the lava would precipitate back into a solid.

Sulfur dioxide is a major air pollutant and has significant impacts upon human health.[36] In addition, the concentration of sulfur dioxide in the atmosphere can influence the habitat suitability for plant communities, as well as animal life.[37] Sulfur dioxide emissions are a precursor to acid rain and atmospheric particulates.
And then we can get sulfuric acid rain as well when the reapers begin terraforming a location...it could be one of the things slowing down terraforming that reapers have to deal with, building systems to scrub the high sulfur concentrations out of the air. Honestly outside of a G-suit the environment of Em-8er is going to be highly toxic to human and earth based lifeforms. It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the game or whether Mark hand waves it away.

Last edited:

Degiance

Deepscanner
Jul 5, 2017
Finland
degiance.deviantart.com
The thing is large geomagnetic storm would effect everything not just the weather. After all, it can be like a large planet scale EMP under the right conditions.

I was more thinking the atmoshpere itself creating these heavy electromagnetic storms but the solar storm ones could be interesting too ^^
I'm mostly just imagining how it might look like, as i really liked those tiberium storms in C&C and their appearence and i was thinking it among those lines.

I was more thinking the atmoshpere itself creating these heavy electromagnetic storms but the solar storm ones could be interesting too ^^
I'm mostly just imagining how it might look like, as i really liked those tiberium storms in C&C and their appearence and i was thinking it among those lines.
ION STORM APPROACHING

Yo! The good old days! :D

It would be bad four aircraft. Jetpacks/thrusters could be either unusable or their strength would be severely reduced to, like, smaller hops. Also, we could get lightning bolts that would strike friend and foe alike.

Dec 27, 2016
LV-426
Extreme winds or low gravity could be a fun way to make navigation (physics) completely different for specific zones (lots of fancy jumping). Not sure if it fits this game's playground though. Gravity variations kind of require an orbital platform scenario or a moon or something.

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Extreme winds or low gravity could be a fun way to make navigation (physics) completely different for specific zones (lots of fancy jumping). Not sure if it fits this game's playground though. Gravity variations kind of require an orbital platform scenario or a moon or something.
Gravity manipulation on a short enough scale to be usable in a game would definitely be artificial, however we do have possibilities there, if the Tsi-hu have gravity tech the effects of their equipment could potentially bleed over into our universe. This could be used to create high skill regions with fluctuating gravity wave patterns. Movement could be mildly to severely impacted.

Perhaps the tech could be used to create stable transition points used for large scale invasions. Reapers would have to not only fight it off, but also move into their realm to destroy the equipment with a limited window to escape. Captured gravity tech could then be reverse engineered by the Reapers to unlock new weapons and abilities.

Wyntyr

Omni Ace
Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Florida
I +1 environmental/Tsi-Hu activated phenomena that change the "weather" and/or sensor system ranges and such...but...I believe they should be few in number. IMO it would help give the game depth/feel by adding some situational variety. However long periods of time for natural phenomena can be very frustrating. Tsi-Hu activated phenomena, on the other hand, can be dealt with even if the encounter is tough. Also, some of the idea's above and such could make for good special event material instead of something that occurs during basic game play.

Dec 27, 2016
LV-426
I believe they should be few in number
Yeah. Weather abuse (too common) would make it 'not special anymore' and also stress performance a bit too much and too often if they go overboard on the visual flashiness. It's fine to lose some performance once in a while for the extra fun and visuals but a -30% FPS on a semi-constant basis is uncool.
Gotta find the right dose. Not too (visually) heavy because of FPS loss and visual chaos* and not to frequent because that would cross into annoying territory a bit too soon. Add in a pinch of unpredictability too.

* some events could be visually chaotic. I'd like that. But not all of them.

Gravity manipulation on a short enough scale to be usable in a game would definitely be artificial, however we do have possibilities there, if the Tsi-hu have gravity tech the effects of their equipment could potentially bleed over into our universe. This could be used to create high skill regions with fluctuating gravity wave patterns. Movement could be mildly to severely impacted.

Perhaps the tech could be used to create stable transition points used for large scale invasions. Reapers would have to not only fight it off, but also move into their realm to destroy the equipment with a limited window to escape. Captured gravity tech could then be reverse engineered by the Reapers to unlock new weapons and abilities.
Makes us/Reapers wonder, though...

If the Enshigi will take interest in Em-8er (because of the Tsi-Hu and their tech), how advanced will they be, after all of that time. Considering what they can already do with stars. And what if, by that point, the Enshigi (like the Asari in Mass Effect and the other races) don't fully own their technological leaps all to themselves, but they've actually discovered another alien race (or more like, their technology left behind).

We could be lead to believe the Tsi-Hu will be hard to deal with, in whatever form and category. Until the Enshigi show up. They probably find something interesting in the Tsi-Hu tech, if they come.

Last edited:

zdoofop

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Noneofyourbeeswaxistan
Makes us/Reapers wonder, though...

If the Enshigi will take interest in Em-8er (because of the Tsi-Hu and their tech), how advanced will they be, after all of that time. Considering what they can already do with stars. And what if, by that point, the Enshigi (like the Asari in Mass Effect and the other races) don't fully own their technological leaps all to themselves, but they've actually discovered another alien race (or more like, their technology left behind).

We could be lead to believe the Tsi-Hu will be hard to deal with, in whatever form and category. Until the Enshigi show up. They probably find something interesting and of us in the Tsi-Hu tech, if they come.
at that level, I doubt they would have need of a planet so inhospitable. To paraphrase hondo ohnaka "ah, but we have what the enshigi do not, for we are desparate."

zdoofop

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Noneofyourbeeswaxistan
Oh, I don't mean the planet. They wouldn't be interested in that. What they would want is the Tsi-Hu and their tech.
hmm, perhaps. I guess it depens on enshigi's tech level v tsi-hu's tech level.

My guess is that if the enshigi do appear in game at all, it will be much later. Better to worry about the immediate threat now and cross the enshigi briddge when we get to it.

hmm, perhaps. I guess it depens on enshigi's tech level v tsi-hu's tech level.

My guess is that if the enshigi do appear in game at all, it will be much later. Better to worry about the immediate threat now and cross the enshigi briddge when we get to it.
Maybe they'll be far more advanced than either the Reapers or the Tsi-Hu may expect, but they could still find something of interest in the Tsi-Hu tech that they'll want to incorporate into their own technology to make themselves stronger.