Chief Chat 23rd Feb 2018 - Excerpts

Maven

Kaiju Slayer
Max Kahuna
Philanthropist
Jul 26, 2016
So here's a few of the most important excerpts from the Chief Chat conducted on the 23rd of Feb.

Do note that this is not comprehensive, and I did miss a bit of the discussion towards the end of the Chat since I had to go off. If anybody does remember or did take any notes, feel free to add to these, or correct any errors.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. New Team Member

-Teknoel is the latest dev team member. He was the one who did the UI for the original Firefall launch trailer and will be working on the UI for EM-8er. He shall be working part-time.

Link to the Firefall trailer:

2. Models

-Models of the omniframe, Kaiju and the Tsi-hu are being worked on.

-Male and female models have been rigged and completed. Hair added to the models. These shall now be added to the omniframe and animated. There currently is no plan, atleast for the immediate future, to animate entry and exit of the operator from the omniframe. These will be worked on later.

-Once the animations are completed, the omniframe movement demo shall be released.

3. Jetpacks

-Jetpacks are being prototyped and regen rates for the jetpacks are being reviewed.

4. Maps, Skeleton and Music

-Current plan for maps is to be split instances, with phasing system from World of Warcraft to be used down the line.

Link: http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Phasing

Since I'm no expert with the system, I'm adding a link to what I believe is the phasing system in its entirety. Feel free to correct me.

-Human Models use HIK Skeletons.

-YSE sound engine to be hooked up next week.

-Music is planned to be dynamic, varying as the encounter progresses.

5. Monetization

-As mentioned before, the current plan is to have skins and cosmetics only.

-If loot boxes are introduced to the game, all odds shall be published and any and all rewards shall be unlockable within the game without any purchase involved.

6. Additional Features

-A console port is under consideration, and hence steam/discord integration is being reviewed.

7. Third person View

-Owing to majority support from the community, third person view shall be similar to the one used in Firefall (Thanks @Faeryl for noting that on discord)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The video updates are slated to go up on Monday.

That's all I have for now. As noted, feel free to add to these.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
These got me excited

- Teknoel in the team to create the smexy ui
- consideration to console port that would be great to play not just on pc too
- 3rd person to see your own mech & be able to see yourself climbing in and out of the mech and the surroundings!
- Dynamic music it will bring this game the pace and epic encounters to life!!
- Video update because i like to just click play to listen/watch while i day dream :D

Jan 10, 2017
Worcester MA
www.youtube.com
Amazing news. So glad I chose today to come back and check the forums out! Will be constantly refreshing this page for updates on an uploaded video....

Also, I watched that Firefall Trailer Video with Pax 2010 dev commentary....I have a few things to say

At about 6:15, someone mentions no-one mentions the statue...and I dont EVER remember seeing a statue there!!!???

Right after that, mind you this was back in 2010, crazy that they had a working version of the other instance up and running...in 2010. Firefall released that to the public in like 2016 lol...and then they closed their doors lol.

After they land in the video at around 8:33, Even now I was still blown away in awe. Fighting hordes of Chosen....progressing and running through the area, and then seeing that giant Chosen Kaiju...and him hopping in the turret to shoot chosen and that big one....man. I can't believe how bad they broke the Firefall game after Mark left.

I'd do anything to play a game like that...oh wait it's being developed right here right now!

em8er FTW

Maven

Kaiju Slayer
Max Kahuna
Philanthropist
Jul 26, 2016
@wangmauler I'm not sure about the statue, but everything in that video, including the titan attack, was entirely scripted.

Rocket

Max Kahuna
Max Kahina
Jul 26, 2016
Australia
@wangmauler... everything in that video, including the titan attack, was entirely scripted.
Not to mention being cobbled together with string and three day old chewing gum, with the entire Red5 staff breathing a sigh of relief when it all worked.

@Grummz : On the matter of loot boxes.

There is a lot of pushback from gamers regarding loot boxes. ESO with it's lootbox exclusive mounts is one of the worst examples. And there is an increasing awareness (in a few countries at least), that they constitute a form of gambling.

It's all fine making everything available in game by game-play means, but if the odds are too low then they might as well not be (pretend is pretend). If the odds are too high then the loot boxes become pointless. And if the means of being available by game-play means is a player market for loot box goods (you've previously indicated no player market) then you've simpley implemented one of Firefall's worst "features".

And that's before some countries implement bans on loot box sales anyway. It will happen.

What is your "plan B" for this? Will everything be available in the market for a direct purchase?