A few updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maven

Kaiju Slayer
Max Kahuna
Philanthropist
Jul 26, 2016
Ok, thanks. Good to hear from ya. Thought there'd be a playable mock up by now, or am i confused? What's the hold up? I'm loving all the updates but it seems we're going in circles. At this rate i don't see a playable mock up until the holidays this year. Still very excited about the project...just seems a tad behind schedule.
Not quite going in circles. The only 'rework' of sorts we've had is the remodelling of the omniframe. The hi-poly and low-poly for the new model will have to be remade now. The target for that is about a month or so. The other models are works in progress. Remember that its mostly folks working part time so things might take a tad longer than usual. As it stands, the target for the mockup is end of the first quarter this year. We may still make it. Add a month odd at best to account for any unexpected delays I'd suppose.

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
I don't think I've ever seen a video game that actually met its original deadline (or many other things beyond video games for that matter) There are always unplanned overages and sometimes you simply don't realize going in how difficult a certain portion of a project is until you start on it. I suspect that redoing the omniframe may have caused a fairly reasonable setback on the time frame. A lot of people were unhappy with the original Mk. 1, it is not very fair to expect updates to it and not budget the time to make changes beyond initial estimates. My own opinion is that as long as there is clear forward progress or at least viable reasons for delays I am happy. So far I feel that Grummz has met those expectations.

Feb 17, 2017
I am sure that I cannot ask for it but, please, can you try to create some sounds which are the same like Firefall's sounds? This is was the best music ever. I hope you 'll answear me :)

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
I am sure that I cannot ask for it but, please, can you try to create some sounds which are the same like Firefall's sounds? This is was the best music ever. I hope you 'll answear me :)
EXCITING NEWS, SLAB.
MICHAEL BROSS, THE MUSIC MAKER FROM FIREFALL, IS WITH US AGAIN.

YOU'LL VERY SOON HEAR HIS BADASS AND EPIC MUSIC AGAIN.

Terib.Shadow

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 26, 2016
Baal Secundus
Indeed, as Torgue mentioned Bross is back and up for it, he has already made one music so far for the THMPR art demo, which is really damn epic sounding, here's a link to a vid showing the art demo, along with the music.

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
Hi everyone. We ran out of time to shoot video last Sunday, so we are shooting a video update this Sunday for posting next week. Just wanted to let everyone know.

Playable mockup is going slower than we wanted, but there hasn't been any redesign. We did modify the Omniframe based on all the user feedback we got, and we are working on the changes to the model now.

Faeryl

Omni Ace
Staff member
Community Manager
Kaiju Slayer
Jul 26, 2016
Planet Earth, USA, East Coast
discord.gg

Dreamin

Base Commander
Base Commander
Dec 4, 2016
PNW
Hi everyone.... Just wanted to let everyone know...
Ayee! BRO! Time for a new update.

Even if it is seemingly small tell us what's happening. Maybe not super in depth, just some personal thoughts about the development cycle, hurdles that have been surpassed or even some of the quirky things that some of your group have been learning from along the process. These longer gaps without the official news posts allow those of us with attention issues to drift too far into other things and lose inspiration. That was one of the downfalls of the FF "weekly updates" after 1.3, which went quickly from weekly to bi-weekly to bi-monthly to bi-annually to nothing very quickly.

We know you have not stopped working to make this the most awesome platform ever, though society and instinct have taught us to realize worst case scenarios and create optimism based on those. Pick-me-ups help reassure us that our optimism is not unfounded.

P.S. Thank you and your team for being the amazing creators that you are!

Astro

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 26, 2016
Ayee! BRO! Time for a new update.

Even if it is seemingly small tell us what's happening. Maybe not super in depth, just some personal thoughts about the development cycle, hurdles that have been surpassed or even some of the quirky things that some of your group have been learning from along the process. These longer gaps without the official news posts allow those of us with attention issues to drift too far into other things and lose inspiration. That was one of the downfalls of the FF "weekly updates" after 1.3, which went quickly from weekly to bi-weekly to bi-monthly to bi-annually to nothing very quickly.

We know you have not stopped working to make this the most awesome platform ever, though society and instinct have taught us to realize worst case scenarios and create optimism based on those. Pick-me-ups help reassure us that our optimism is not unfounded.

P.S. Thank you and your team for being the amazing creators that you are!
Agreed! I was under the impression we were going to have a video update 3 Wednesdays ago?
It can put into question confidence of delivery.

As far as any update material, Alejandro put this up on Twitter yesterday: https://twitter.com/Toshi_TNE/status/958842609560154113

Toshi

Ember Dev
Sep 24, 2017
toshitne.imgur.com
Even if it is seemingly small tell us what's happening...
I can't speak for the rest, but I can speak about the stuff I've been doing. Sculpting is the quickest part for me, but after that there's a ton of tedious stuff to do. Besides the feedback from Mark and other people on the team, I need to retopologize the meshes for animation, have it checked by animators, fix things, generate masks, generate textures in substance, import to UE4, and create the materials/shaders. In between every step I check with Mark for feedback. It's all pretty slow, and it doesn't lend itself well for a weekly update. That's why initially I jumped to other characters and quickly cobbled up some base sculpts for the Tsi-Hu and Kaiju. People like pics, so I gave them pics. Thing is, I knew I had to go back to finish the boring stuff eventually, and that's what I've been doing. I wish I could do things faster but my time is currently limited to a couple of hours after I get home from work. Also the holidays took a toll.
I think as far as weekly updates go, there will be times when there's no apparent progress and times with tons of stuff. Some things are starting to get finalized so there will probably be some nice updates soon.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Given the space and time for development/Progress, with these pros onboard it will be worth the wait.

I honestly hate waiting, but its one of those things and checking when ever possible in the forums to know whats happening otherwise i'd scroll down by the interesting spam section and other topics that grab my attention too. Joining in makes it easier knowing there is life in the forums while eventually that topic "UPDATE ALERT"

I imagine people having these in their homes as the major alert starts the alarm
we all rush in wearing our G-suit and get prepared for the big news!

Alarm stops... your update is in another spaceship!
Wrong Spaceship takes off leaving a spiral shape in your garden.

:D

Last edited:

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
I can't speak for the rest, but I can speak about the stuff I've been doing. Sculpting is the quickest part for me, but after that there's a ton of tedious stuff to do. Besides the feedback from Mark and other people on the team, I need to retopologize the meshes for animation, have it checked by animators, fix things, generate masks, generate textures in substance, import to UE4, and create the materials/shaders. In between every step I check with Mark for feedback. It's all pretty slow, and it doesn't lend itself well for a weekly update. That's why initially I jumped to other characters and quickly cobbled up some base sculpts for the Tsi-Hu and Kaiju. People like pics, so I gave them pics. Thing is, I knew I had to go back to finish the boring stuff eventually, and that's what I've been doing. I wish I could do things faster but my time is currently limited to a couple of hours after I get home from work. Also the holidays took a toll.
I think as far as weekly updates go, there will be times when there's no apparent progress and times with tons of stuff. Some things are starting to get finalized so there will probably be some nice updates soon.
THAT INSIGHT IS UPDATE ENOUGH.

ALWAYS A GOOD FEELING TO KNOW "WHERE" IN THE TEDIOUS AND BORING PROCESS OF THE DEVELOPMENT YOU CURRENTLY ARE.

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Director of Marketing and Community
Jul 26, 2016
Good info there Toshi! The community rather enjoys hearing what you're up to. Thank you for posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.