On how to keep content relevant

Maven

Kaiju Slayer
Max Kahuna
Philanthropist
Jul 26, 2016
Your concerns are quite valid tbh. And it's just about the same for any player approaching a brand new multiplayer experience. Far too often it's a case of same old shit in brand new wrapping paper.

The folks here who believe in this game and vehemently vouch for it, are those that have enjoyed the original Firefall experience and were put off by the abomination it became after launch. The community has a history, so think of it as a game with an existing fanbase, albeit the fact that its not even in an alpha stage.

I would suggest joining the discord server, if you are not already a part of it. The devs are quite active and you get to address your concerns directly.

Terib.Shadow

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 26, 2016
Baal Secundus
It's the past losses, and the void that got me. Games today are simply terrible... mediocre and forgettable at best. Mainstream corporate drones swimming in cash is a grave injustice.
Must be patient.
Ok I won't bore you anymore with my BS. Thanks for listening, had to vent it out.
This right there is something i absolutely 100% agree with.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
I'll let Kern surprise me and stop pretending this game must give me what OTHER great games gave me in the PAST and take it as its own thing.
This game could be an altogether different type of great hmm

Let rest in peace what others did right and screw to hell what others did wrong. This guys aren't the others. This game won't that other game.
My guess is as good as yours perhaps there could be elements of good old stuff with some innovative new stuff...but that's just me guessing!

Games today are simply terrible... mediocre and forgettable at best.
I'll give you that and innovative at the time, but today's games do have better graphics but that doesn't really make it superb other than for the aesthetics

unlike you, this isn't about recreating fond memories to me... that raid boss I was the only player in my server able to legit solo it on my class, those many times I pulled a hopeless team to victory, those noobs I aggro-aimed the boss AoE for the hilarious megakills, that shinny 1/10K I got by myself while the weak just paid for it and that PvP arena in which I kept biting the dust until I could trade punches with the best all belong elsewhere. Maybe, had I played FF when it was relevant, I wouldn't have denied there can more than all that. Let rest in peace what others did right and screw to hell what others did wrong. This guys aren't the others. This game won't that other game.
Skill is one thing that some i know take pride in, i wouldnt say i am the most skillful but i'll say i am persistent and enjoy the team collaboration to take down a sim wide threat followed by some bizarre tower dancing and all the craziness that follows :D

That is why i like multi-player games there is a mixture of players with different skill lvls and personalities to match or even compliment.

Rocket

Max Kahuna
Max Kahina
Jul 26, 2016
Australia
A DAMN BLOODY REASON WHY I'M HAVING A HARD TIME TO FIND A NICE GAME TO SIT ON.
Try Subnautica. It's a chill little solo survival/exploration game that's about to leave early access for full release. If you do try it, then do yourself a favor and don't google for spoilers and game advice.

Terib.Shadow

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 26, 2016
Baal Secundus
Try Subnautica. It's a chill little solo survival/exploration game that's about to leave early access for full release. If you do try it, then do yourself a favor and don't google for spoilers and game advice.
Long time no see Rocket, good to have you back, and Torgue already knows about Subnautica, I also recommended it to him, but he has aquaphobia or whatever it's called, unfortunately. No worries, he and I will no doubt find something to occupy ourselves in the meantime, looks like this thread is over now, let's let it rest in peace.

BunnyHunny

Deepscanner
Aug 20, 2016
Anyone got to think that forcing players to get low end gear, in order to be able to play low end content, which then rewards more low end gear, might not be the best idea?

Requiring good gear for end game content works, because people tend to want to get better and stronger.
You get better (gear) and are rewarded with higher effectiveness and additional content to play (with new rewards).
That does not really work with requiring people to actively get and equip "bad" gear, in order to be allowed to play low tier content, which then rewards more low tier gear.

Also, how would you restrict the access, if the content is located in the open world?
Invisible walls for those who have a high tier item equipped?

I think it would be a better idea to have different "tiers" of content simply reward different stuff (being different in more than power level).
If items with some special effects are exclusive rewards to certain areas, anyone who wants to use them (for any content), has to get them from these areas.
That can make low level areas attractive to advanced players.
However, this should not force people to equip low level gear, which would have a negative impact on gameplay experience and also create major problems regarding restriction of access.

Now to solve some problems with this:

Player/Enemy scaling (low tier enemies not becoming entirely obsolete to higher tier players):
>> players (items) and enemies have a power level, which works as a multiplier to their stats
>> enemies in an area have a spectrum of power levels (i.e. 1-9, 10-19, 20-29, ...)
>> if a player uses items, which have a "too high" power level for the area, the items will automatically be scaled down to match the enemies, for the duration of the player staying within the borders of that specific area

Item Scaling (low tier items being worth getting picked up):
>> items have a power level, determining their current strength (i.e. base stats multiplied by power level)
>> base stats determine the general strength (or potential) of an item
>> power level can be upgraded, using resources from the area of the respective power level (or the one above), effectively making every item available at max power level
>>> i.e. to get an item of power level 1-9 to power up by 10 (to 11-19), you would need resources from the area, which rewards gear with respective (or one tier higher) power level

Why?
>> due to different base stats, there would be items, that are simply different, or flat out better than others (independent of level)
>> most items would not become obsolete, since they can be kept and gradually upgraded while progressing through the game
>> a beloved weapon, that was picked up along the way, could stay relevant
>> "special" items from lower level areas would become relevant for every player tier
>> resources from areas of every level would stay relevant for every (especially higher) player tier, as long as there are low level items with good base stats
>> simply adding a new exclusive reward to an area of any level, can make that area more interesting for the player base
>> "base stats x power level" system allows easier understanding of the possible value of any item in late game
>> due to low tier gear staying relevant, and higher tier gear being added/researched, the spectrum of gear variety will grow (can not possibly shrink), as the player progresses

Last edited: