Status
Not open for further replies.

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
Hi everyone.

I don't have any visuals to share, but we've spend the entire week with iterations, revisions, and tweaks to the Omniframe. Based on your heartfelt feedback, we decided to keep the original Mk I design, but with vast improvements. It's starting to look A LOT better.

Tommaso and I shot drawings and notes back and for every day, honing in on what was missing from the original design and the feedback from you, the backers. We wanted to take our time to get things right. We added a rollcage, a stiffer spine and a racing seat to the frame. We also redesigned the lower legs and, overall, gave the model a detail pass we felt was missing.

The results are looking much better, but its not to the point where it is complete enough to present to the community. Tommaso is currently looking at the head and shoulders to see where we can improve the design in those areas.

Aside from drawing, Tommaso has been working in 3D as well. Working fast, we were able to disassemble Joe's original model to help speed the construction of the new one. We did a lot of tweaks to proportions, shapes, and style that are making the model sit sleeker, meaner and much cooler than our original design. I am confident we can show you a new 3D model very soon now, even with the holidays. Of course, Joe will still have to redo the low-poly and texture passes, but this should save valuable time.

Thank you again for all your feedback, passion and patience. This is the player character, so we wanted to make sure it felt really, really good to look at.

Other Updates:

I'm almost done painting the Max Kahuna THMPRs! These will be ready to ship next week, just in time for Christmas! These ended up being fun to paint, but we will also begin production of a unpainted plastic version to ship at a latter time to Maxes who wanted both.

Also, this week I've been working with Michael Bross, the lead composer of Firefall, on the music for Em-8ER. We are still in pre-production phases but his main task is to score the THMPR encounter for the demo.

I wanted the THMPR encounter music to tell a story, with musical sections for a clear beginning, middle, end, and all the tension and release points in between. To do this we are using a dynamic music system that will ebb and flow with the pace of the action. The THMPR dropping will sound like anticipation, the mining will sound like a tense lull, followed by action oriented attack waves, ending with defeat or victory.

Dynamic music with the THMPR encounter is something I've wanted to do since Firefall. So I'm very excited to have this for Em-8ER!

That wraps up this week. Thank you again for all your help. I know it was a busy time in the forums! Your enthusiasm and replies really perked me up and gave me extra gas this busy holiday month. We have great fans and backers and, for that, we are grateful!

- Markus
aka Grummz
aka Navel Lord

Status
Not open for further replies.