How can Em8-er punish death and require skill?

Aphaz

Deepscanner
Jul 26, 2016
also, if you want meaningful punishment for dying, you can always have the body part of the omni that got shot last b4 the "boom" be unusable for a time (repair or smt...). the head would have malfunctioning radar and sensors. torso would mean no flight or erretic flight because of reactor failings, or minimal to no shield for pilot . hand(s) would be uselessly hanging down and all equipment/mods in said arm(s) are out of order 'till repaired. leg(s) would reduce/prevent movement untill repaired and equipment/ abilities in that part are out of order.
this could be temporary or dealth with however appropriate...or smt.
:D

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
also, if you want meaningful punishment for dying, you can always have the body part of the omni that got shot last b4 the "boom" be unusable for a time (repair or smt...). the head would have malfunctioning radar and sensors. torso would mean no flight or erretic flight because of reactor failings, or minimal to no shield for pilot . hand(s) would be uselessly hanging down and all equipment/mods in said arm(s) are out of order 'till repaired. leg(s) would reduce/prevent movement untill repaired and equipment/ abilities in that part are out of order.
this could be temporary or dealth with however appropriate...or smt.
:D
WE DO HAVE SOMETHING SIMILAR LIKE THAT PLANNED.

OUR DEATH COMES WITH THE CHARACTER DEATH. NOT THAT BROKEN FRAME.

THE MORE DAMAGE YOU SUFFER THE MORE USELESS YOU BECOME. TILL THE FRAME SAYS "F*CK YOU" AND SHUT ITSELF DOWN.
OR SELF DESTRUCT. IF YOU'RE INTO EXPLOSION AND SH*T

OPTION 1: YOU GET THE F*CK OUT OF YOUR FRAME AND DEFEND IT WITH A BONER ON YOUR FIST.

OPTION 2: YOU DO SOME MINOR REPAIRS TO GET IT BACK TO FUNCTION.
C'MON SUCKERS, HELP WITH REPAIR. HE GOT A BODY COUNT TO CATCH UP.

OPTION 3: YOU SAY "F*CK YOU" AND CALL DOWN AN EVEN MORE BADASS FRAME AND SHOW THEM BLOODY RABBITS WHAT IT MEANS WHEN THEY WANNA WAR WITH US.

EffusFury

Jan 20, 2018
Every good and bad game in existence has shown us examples of why it's better to encourage playing good, instead of punishing those for playing bad. At the same time going too far in either direction has negative side effects as well. A balance is important

liandri

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 29, 2016
Zone of Bones, Australia
Without reading through all past ideas, I do approve of helping players to become more skilled in the game/roles within the game, rather than simply punishing them when they die. I had a few ideas:
  • I wouldn't mind seeing an actual incentive to revive. I try to do in in Destiny 2 where the respawn timer is greater than 5 seconds (strikes and such), but almost never in the normal world. It doesn't serve me, and most people respawn WHILE you're trying to revive them anyway. Obviously, having a leaderboard or some statistics regarding your revive count is good, but I wouldn't mind seeing a small amount on experience or, say, a "goodwill" currency. Perhaps you can use your goodwill for free drinks?
  • On death, if not revived and near certain enemies, I think it would be interesting if your character revived as a zombie-like enemy. So as a living player, if you don't revive your dying teammate, he gets up and shoots you in the back. And rightly so.
  • Weapon and armour durability has always been a point of tension, but I always preferred damage on death rather than damage with use if I had to pick one. The ability to 'tune' your armour and weapons for a slight increase in firepower, accuracy, mobility, etc., that'll be lost after some time or on death would be nice, and it's another thing players can spend their loot on.
  • In the case of special abilities, supers, whatever you want to call them, I like the idea of an increased cooldown on multiple deaths, but I feel that'd discourage some players because they'd feel underpowered having to wait for extra time. Instead, on death, all your abilities go on cooldown, and you lose ALL accumulated super. However, you'll still respawn with ammo, which is all you really need.
For people who purposely die as some sort of troll, maybe a Lara Croft nude cheat sort of deal where your frame explodes into pieces when you call it down.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
I like what they do in warframe the bleedout and timer and the affinity points to use to self revive otherwise once you run out of affinity points cannot revive and must wait.

If they get to the person before they bleed out its easy save unless they are surrounded by alot of enemies and its a risk for yourself to go out too :O

EffusFury

Jan 20, 2018
Instead, on death, all your abilities go on cooldown, and you lose ALL accumulated super. However, you'll still respawn with ammo, which is all you really need.
For people who purposely die as some sort of troll, maybe a Lara Croft nude cheat sort of deal where your frame explodes into pieces when you call it down.
I like this, I mean, you should be using your abilities to also avoid death as well, shouldn't you?
You're a bit less effective if you are dying lots, which gives incentive to playing/gearing better. But at the same time, dying a lot doesn't have a snowball effect that pretty much boots you out of the fight all together.
There's still a good gap between a skilled and an not so skilled(?) player
And also, Someone who's using their abilities regularly and hopefully effectively isn't going to be hit too hard by this. which kinda rewards good game play in another way

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
That is wrong, we will be able to leave the omniframe, there is simply no reason to do it other than when it is destroyed to call down another, or to walk around in cities
BY THE SOUNDS OF EXPLOSIONS STILL RINGING IN MY EARS, I THINK HE MEANS EJECTING LIKE IN PLANES.

SOMETHING LIKE AN BOOT-KICKING DEVICE THAT KICKS YOU OUT OF YOUR WEAK FRAME.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu

As you all know explosion hurts hitting your butt on the floor hurts
tentacles hurt.

I was thinking instead of kicking you out it would download the info of your brain and destroy you
then your reconstructed body materializes at the nearest spawn or base.

I dont mind ejecting like a flying squirrel too and then
gliding to get on my motorbike because that is cool too!