IMPORTANT: Omniframe Mk II

Do you prefer the direction of Omniframe Original or Mk II going forward?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

d1g

Sep 20, 2017
i like them both. if time and money allow, and if its possible i guess, changes to the original would suffice. keep the torso of the original (modified as needed) and add the arms legs and head of the MKII would be great imo.

D7Sledge

Terraformer
Jan 27, 2017
I prefer the legs of MkII. But the torso and arms of the original are better.
Maybe because the knees and feet are very far out of proportion. Bulkier feet also make a bit more sense since it's expected to traverse all terrains.

It's a give and take between bulk and slim. I'd like to see, as much as possible, the sleek and slim retained 'cause it's not a typical style for western devs. But I do lean more to the industrial function-over-form bulk that is typical of western devs.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2016
I voted for the MK-II

While both of them look very good....I'm kinda leaning more towards the MK-II as I have always preferred western style power armor over the eastern style (with the exception of Metroid).
While all the wings, flaps and pointy things make them look cool...I still feel like quoting The Incredibles on this:
"NO CAPES !"

Anyway, my suggestion would be to stick with MK-I and then have the MK-II as a future option/stretch goal.

Max Kahuna
Max Kahuna
Kahuna M.A.X.
Sep 6, 2016
While I never quite got the use of exosuits when your fleshy bits hang out during combat (appleseed or not), the M2 still looks lightyears ahead of the M1 simply because it's anatomy is completely integrated and has a certain visual weight the M1 lacks. M1 doesnt feel save - comparable if you put a Leopard 2 Main battle tank besides a ratty VW bull.

Especially with that exposed spine without any load bearing reinforcement.

Anyway, my suggestion would be to stick with MK-I and then have the MK-II as a future option/stretch goal.
since the mk1 has been modelled already, and probably partialy rigged, it'll likely end up an option in the final game. I know I'd rather run a M2 beetle than the M1 dragonfly

Last edited:

Jaunn

Firstclaimer
Jul 29, 2016
France
I like both models, my preference goes for the MK-I because of personal taste, with some tweaking.
Also I don't really care if we can see some pilot parts since we're not in a simulation but a fantasy game here so I still can enjoy the view of my sexy body driving a "japanese style" exoskeleton? MK-II looks a bit too much humanoid shaped imo; I see it as a tanky model but it's not bad at all.

Well I'd love to see a revision of MK-I with what mentioned Grummz in his last post.
Thanks for asking the community, I'm looking forward for the renew of the MK-I !

Nubilus

Omni Ace
Ark Liege
Base Commander
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
I like the Mk. I more. Although it could use some work in the size and leg department i.e longer and sleeker legs, maybe multi-jointed (Anthems Suits have good leg design that would fit quite well here) and an overall size increase of the MEK
While the Mk. II fits better with the looks of the T.H.M.P.R it feels (IMO) too small to be considered a Mech... It's more of a clunky mechanized suit of armour than a fast and agile MEK. The Maybe have the Mk. II as a higher Tech-Tier or something...
The extra arms may look weird and insect-like to others, but I understand the reason behind them: it's for the pilots' arms.
They could also be used for (fine)-manipulation of terminals and such.

Small idea dump on the redesign of the Mk. I:

Jumpjets and wings closer to the Spine i.e. closer together
Mk. II's Arms and Torso (Breastplate could be Hard-Driver)
Legs as a fusion of Mk. I and Mk. II like below

Art by Manilyn Toledana

manilyn-toledana-anthemver2.jpg

Tell me what you guys think about these ideas.

Last edited:

Dreamin

Base Commander
Base Commander
Dec 4, 2016
PNW
I like the Mk. I more. Although it could use some work in the size and leg department i.e longer and sleeker legs, maybe multi-jointed (Anthems Suits have good leg design that would fit quite well here) and an overall size increase of the MEK
While the Mk. II fits better with the looks of the T.H.M.P.R it feels (IMO) too small to be considered a Mech... It's more of a clunky mechanized suit of armour than a fast and agile MEK. The Maybe have the Mk. II as a higher Tech-Tier or something...
The extra arms may look weird and insect-like to others, but I understand the reason behind them: it's for the pilots' arms.
They could also be used for (fine)-manipulation of terminals and such.

Small idea dump on the redesign of the Mk. I:

Jumpjets and wings closer to the Spine i.e. closer together
Mk. II's Arms and Torso (Breastplate could be Hard-Driver)
Legs as a fusion of Mk. I and Mk. II like below

Tell me what you guys think about these ideas.
Your feedback is great bro. I am positive it will be considered wisely.

Now please edit your post and stop trying to hi-jacks Mark's EM-8ER poll thread with your own mutant art (It looks interesting). You should really start your own thread/forum/site for that, I am sure others will check it regularly and provide you the feedback you are looking for to help you move your career further ahead.

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Soooo....after getting the Omniframe modeled, I had concerns about the look not holding up as well as the other designs of the game. I also had concerns with the Omniframe and THMPR looking very different from each other.

So I took a big breath and sat down with Tommaso to do a Mk II version of the Omniframe. The goal was to unify the design with the rest of the game, have it be more form fitting, and address some issues the community brought up along the way.

This is a rough draft of the Omniframe Mk II. I'd like everyone's feedback in the community before we decide to make a big change like this.

Here is the current Omniframe:

Hard driver enclosed mode pictured to be fairer I included the drawing version. :

And here are rough sketches of the potential Omniframe Mk II:

Let me know your thoughts. TY!

Added. Image of THMPR to see how the looks vary between frame and THMPR:

I realize I am a bit late to the party but was AFK for the weekend. My personal feedback would be to keep the Mk I but incorporate some of the design from the Mk II.

Here are some suggestions:

Remove the wings, they are a huge weakpoint and if the tech is already there it would be much better to house protected forcefield projectors behind the shoulders.

slim down the large arms a bit widthwise and add control jets up above the "hand" area.

shrink the width between the mech's shoulders slightly, Incorporate the Mk II shoulder design. Incorporate the Mk II joint system instead of what currently exists (pistons etc).

make sure that the main jet engines are pointed downwards at the ground (in the HDM artwork they appear to be perpendicular).

Incorporate the more beefed up chest area of the Mk II into the Mk I.

Replace the HDM's human arm protection with the mobile ones in the Mk II, keep the arm connectors in the original artwork version to link the two of them together.

Modify the hips of the mech so the outside is more square (think Turian) but leave the width so it can still accommodate a human without splaying their legs out awkwardly

The knee's need to be slimmed down A LOT in relationship to the leg beneath it.

Add auxiliary pneumatic "toes" on the left and right side of each foot for use in stabilization on rough terrain.

Add jets in the foot area to help assist in flight control (think Ironman).

Also as a personal note, love the wings design you made for the Mk II.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2017
I personally prefer the Mk I but the legs needs changes

Omniframe Head:
the Mk I's head makes it look like it has an AI built into it or something plus it helps sell the pure robot appearance of the Hard Driver Mode, the MK II's head looks like a helmet thats too big for the pilot

Arms:
The Mk I had something directly connecting the pilots arm to the Frame's mech arms when not in Hard driver mode. From a purely visual perspective one can conclude that they are used as controllers. As the frames have energy shields the pilots body being exposed like that isn't much of a concern. Whereas the piltos arms in the Mk II don't have anything to indicate why they are exposed like that or if they are used to control anything.

Legs:
The MK I needs a rework on its legs especially the feet as it looks like it will have a hard time maintaining balance, the first mech pic postedby Pandagnome looks like a good place to start, as for the MK II it looks pretty sturdy and looks like it can handle some serious punishment though the proportions might need some tweaks.

Wings:
The MK I's wings and thrusters are visible so you'd be able to tell its meant for operating both in the air and on the ground. The MK II having energy wings make it look like an insectoid (more on that later) and when the wings are turned off it looks like a unit thats mean't solely for ground based operation.

Overall the Mk II feels like a mech suit for this abomination minus the tail and the smell rather than a robotic exo suit for humans:

If I had to rate these I'd put the Mk I and the T.H.M.P.R in first and second place, 3rd place to the red suit Terib.Shadow posted and 4th place to the abomination I mean MK II. :p:D

The MK II if it didn't have the extra set of arms would look more like a combat focused variant of the the industrial T.H.M.P.R than an exo suit for pilots. maybe make it into a ground based heavy omniframe, make the Mk I an air and ground based unit and create a purely air specialized omniframe to boot.... either way get rid of the extra pair of arms on the MK II it looks like it would get in the way more than anything else

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2017
it was still coming.

That's not the issue at play.

-----------------------

Those two pics are the same omniframe. Hard driver mode was to be something that could be activated on the original frame, to cover up the pilot if someone wanted to. It would be added on to the existing model.
actually the 3d model looks more bulky when compared to the 2d version which looks more sleek and slender plus the 2d version has the frame striking a pose, tell whoever has the model to make it do the same pose then we can decide just how different it looks compared to the 2d version.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2017
In most regards, I like the Mark II better because it looks more functional to me. Voted accordingly.

In particular,
- I like the closed cockpit because it looks like it protects the pilot better. Although you might then want some locations where the pilots typically park their frame and get out, so you can see the characters at least some of the time.
- less fragile-appearing details that look like they might break off at first contact with the enemy.
- the wider feet look less like they might sink in at every step.

What I find a bit irritating though is the second set of arms. Where would those be useful?
Someone suggested that the pilot could slip their arms in them and use them as control for the large arms, but for that they are too far apart. One would need to have VERY broad shoulders to fit in that system.

Edit:
if you want to keep both, they could be frames from two competing manufacturers. That way, you'd have one more argument, lore wise, to justify diversity in omniframe models and technology in game. The company who makes the Mark I might be better at shields, so they can include a protective barrier over the cockpit.

Last edited:

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Closed cockpit looks cool, safe and enclosed the traditional style is never a bad thing!

Open cockpit with shield, looks unique, still safe depending on shield strength that can be given by visual ques of the color the shield has and also some like to have the ability to see the pilot to know it isn't just a machine but an actual individual. The inclusion of hard driver mode can make it look enclosed but not as reinforced looking as a traditional closed cockpit.

I have to hope in the future when there is more time/funding for various skins / changeable parts of mechs could be something in the works to be able to swap various mech heads, feet, torso etc. I know that cost and time would be the factors here but for the future i hope it could be a possibility!

What i like about the game warframe is that there is option to change the look and helmet etc it might not be a big deal to some but having that nice looking character/mech to your style that makes it your own is like your own creation and pleases me when its how I want it to be.

As they say in warframe fashion frame is endgame tier :eek:

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Director of Marketing and Community
Jul 26, 2016
actually the 3d model looks more bulky when compared to the 2d version which looks more sleek and slender plus the 2d version has the frame striking a pose, tell whoever has the model to make it do the same pose then we can decide just how different it looks compared to the 2d version.
While there are indeed some visible differences between the artwork and the 3d model and that has some effect on peoples opinion of the model, that just has nothing to do with the question I responded to which was: why the 3D model wasn't of the hard driver mode version.

At any rate, I'm excited to see what the updated version looks like.

Terricon4

Base Commander
Base Commander
While there are indeed some visible differences between the artwork and the 3d model and that has some effect on peoples opinion of the model, that just has nothing to do with the question I responded to which was: why the 3D model wasn't of the hard driver mode version.

At any rate, I'm excited to see what the updated version looks like.
He didn't really clarify with that question, simply asking "why this isn't like this?" more or less. As for the picture he used, yes it did have hard driver, but it also had all the differences of the open one being sleeker and smoother and more curved and flowing in all areas. So without clarification from them it's impossible to really know what they were asking for specifically, maybe they did only think of the hard driver, maybe they were focused on the overall form, or maybe they picked that one because they were referring to both. Or maybe, they weren't even caring on the models form and stuff, but just wanted it in the pose of the other one...

A note to all people, clarify on ambiguous statements or inquiries! It can drive people like me nuts trying to figure it out (that said, you don't have to go onto massive page long tangents like I often do either, try to find the nice middle ground or something).

Status
Not open for further replies.