IMPORTANT: Omniframe Mk II

Do you prefer the direction of Omniframe Original or Mk II going forward?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Degiance

Deepscanner
Jul 5, 2017
Finland
degiance.deviantart.com
That and considering the sheer mass and volume of things your suppose to be facing off, so i cannot really follow the paper armor design logic. I might be taking in consideration too many things. (If i can quote my teacher:"Original is all fine and good if your planning to make just one, but simple is good for mass design from mass production stand point." after seeing the diffrence between MK1 and MK2. MK1 is too decorative and looks like it would be harder to mass produce. Not to mention i don't think people are gona have fun trying to draw a Mk1, so you can just forget seeing alot of fan art or comics, at least from my personal perspective. If you take a look at any comic or movie that's partially the reason people stick with "simple design".)

After that it becomes all about personal taste, you can make mass produced model look original if there is enough cosmetic options. If your given Mona Lisa straight out of the gate, your gona have hard time trying to personalise without feeling like a your destroying someone elses work.

Either that or give that Mk1 some curd cheese.
normal_1412801349.jpg

Dec 15, 2016
That's not a problem. The Omniframe has shields.
True, the omniframe has shields but melee damage is only partially absorbed by it. Most of the damage goes through to armor and then health if the armor breaks down. Since armor is nonexistent on the exposed pilot’s limbs, guess where the damage goes to.

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
Good morning, everyone!

Thank you for all the excellent feedback! I really love how the community has engaged this idea.

We're going to first try a tweak of the Omniframe Mk I. Tommaso and I are jiggering the design and will post a result as soon as we've got an iteration of the small tweaks we think are positive for the original concept.

Also, many of you pointed out the 3D model differs from the original concept. We agree, we identified several areas that can improve:

1) wider jet pod distance, bigger pods
2) smaller shoulders, angled more
3) Shoulder truer to original concept, sleeker
4) arms narrower and shorter
5) forearm longer, hands smaller
6) hips wider
7) shoulder missile cannister proportion tweaks

We think this is a large reason why the 3D model isn't "sitting" as well as the concept art. But we will also be looking at the lower leg design, hands, and support structure for the torso in "open cockpit mode."

Overall, we agree that that the Mk I is more unique and distinctive feeling. While the Mk II feel more like Anthem or Section 8 in design. We'd like to try to preserve the originality of the 1st design, and by the poll, the majority of you seems to agree!

Thanks again. More to come!

IAmJohnGalt

Commander
Em-8ER Contributor
Jul 26, 2016
Cleveland, Tennessee
www.patreon.com
The problem with having multiple frame designs comes down to animation. If you can come up with a standard design that you can make a skeleton for and rig/animate and use for all your frames. It is going to get rediculously costly as you add more if you dont follow this workflow.

What needs to happen here is the same thing that Unreal suggests for characters, you get a standard ominiframe designed make a skeleton rig then animate, then all other frames need to use that same skeleton so that in thee future to add/create more you simply modify parts of it using the same skeleton so you dont have to remake all the animations/logic for controling them.

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
The problem with having multiple frame designs comes down to animation. If you can come up with a standard design that you can make a skeleton for and rig/animate and use for all your frames. It is going to get rediculously costly as you add more if you dont follow this workflow.

What needs to happen here is the same thing that Unreal suggests for characters, you get a standard ominiframe designed make a skeleton rig then animate, then all other frames need to use that same skeleton so that in thee future to add/create more you simply modify parts of it using the same skeleton so you dont have to remake all the animations/logic for controling them.
This is exactly why we can't do the Mk I and Mk II at the same time. The design has to be similar enough to share animations and a rig.

IAmJohnGalt

Commander
Em-8ER Contributor
Jul 26, 2016
Cleveland, Tennessee
www.patreon.com
This is exactly why we can't do the Mk I and Mk II at the same time. The design has to be similar enough to share animations and a rig.
Good on ya, it will be far better to get this right from the onset so i say do whatever you must to make that be the standard and it will pay for itself in time on work saved!

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
These links got me thinking more

I agree that the arms would be exposed but as long as the shield is maintained or has some armor over the arms
when it activates hard driver mode it would be neat too.

Why cant we have the options of more arms on the mechs like what Dr octopus has but would mean it sacrifices something
for more arms perhaps?

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/BattleMech

a) Standard Biped (2 Legs) = faster/agile and less weight to carry.
(not a mech but ideas of the mech feet)

(shorter legs lower center of gravity & some not)

b) 4 legged or more = more stability and can carry much more weight but slower
(hello mammoth mech MkII ^^ )

(multi joint mech)

c) caterpillar tracks/wheels = can be vulnerable without shields/armor to the tracks or wheels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-ouLX8Q9UM

d) Hovering = same speed as legs with different animation showing the mech as hovering,
https://youtu.be/_Izgcp7CkHA

https://youtu.be/S_uXCDjEeio?t=3m22s

hey even have a hybrid mech but i am just getting carried away as always :p
for me personally i like the idea of customization depending on what mech you would use
and how you would use it depending on the mech type class and situation that would standout compared
to most mechs out there in games.

I love the anime/manga inspired mechs and also those from games/films and those that are inspired by
bugs and more there is a lot of ways that it could be done visually looking different and be unique yet still perform
the same function!

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Ah yep got carried away again :eek::oops::D

I guess we can all spew out ideas and thoughts but the grummz we believe make it super!!

This is a tough choice i love them both but if its just because of the look
the MKII does have better legs. However saying that the legs of the MK-I makes it unique in its own way

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH i am too greedy want it all XD

Last edited:

Terricon4

Base Commander
Base Commander
Oh, and as a general reminder to everyone complaining about exposed hands with Mk1. You can use hard driver mode.
"But it doesn't make sense that if you aren't you still are protected against melee" I hear you wine...

IT"S A FREAKING GAME! It uses simplified health numbers like lots of others, there's nothing realistic about that. It's just a visual option like not showing your helmet on in other games because you want to see your character, despite the idea that should give you massive bonus to critical damage chances or such.

And besides. They could easily argue having a smaller tougher shield system specifically over the pilot that can stop melee but has emitters on the shields outside (aka on the frame around it) so that said shield can't be used to cover entire larger units but can cover key week parts of larger units. And then the type that can be projected to completely cover the unit including the emitters is the type that's mostly good against energy shots. Lots of different possible excuses that are completely viable with the so far given setting and tech if you're really that concerned on the lore end.

Of coarse if you are that concerned about practicality and realism you might be in the wrong area in the first place since we are playing a game where people are using mechs as their primary means of fighting. Mechs.... you know, those insanely complex systems full of moving parts and failure points with lots of exposed joints and weak parts and tons of surface area relative to internal volume meaning weaker armor and also very little contact with the ground since its using small feet that thanks to the square cubed law becomes really problematic the bigger something becomes and is why tanks have giant tracks spreading their weight over a massive area. Mechs are good in some construction and general purpose stuff on a smaller scale, a standard exosuit is ok for combat or work or exploration, a light/medium mecha is NOT realistic for combat though. But hey... It's a game, we just do this because it's something we find entertaining and because we can come up with a setting and idea where it is ok to do this type of thing that we don't do in reality because we think it's cool.

What if...the pilot's arms are brought up and in as if working Robotech controls...and either use similar controls (joysticks/etc) or something like multi button dual mice or even just split keyboard?
More or less hard driver mode, you tuck your arms up into those armored boxes that are just under the normal chest/head module area. The Mk2 would need to be fattened up a bit at the torso to have space for that option.

Last edited:

Wyntyr

Omni Ace
Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Florida
More or less hard driver mode, you tuck your arms up into those armored boxes that are just under the normal chest/head module area. The Mk2 would need to be fattened up a bit at the torso to have space for that option.
Hard driver mode I understand. I was proposing a possible change to the original arm positions with the open look (btw I don't mind that look). My issue with the original is that the pilot's arms may be waving around similar to the frame's arms which may be a bit distracting. Although the way the devs show it currently the arms don't have to wave about. I didn't make that too clear. Sorry about that.

Sonic Nova

Firstclaimer
Sep 13, 2016
The Mk I has a unique fluidity to it which sets it apart from other mechas, but I always felt it was too big. With the introduction of the Mk II, it achieves that closer-fitting "tight" feeling I wanted to see and you nailed the look of its upper body. My suggestion is to make the Mk I smaller and "tighter" to the pilot and introduce the bicep-pistons and the head w/ traps from the Mk II. Overall excellent work!

PS: I REALLY like everything above the waist on the Mk II, but the wings are a downgrade from the Mk I.

MI53RE

Base Commander
Ark Liege
Jul 4, 2017
In the overall looking, I do prefer the MK1, though I do agree maybe some tweeks could be made so it fit better in the overall environment. (maybe make the legs bulkiers as they look quite easy to shake of the frame :/ ).

Now speaking of the MK2, truely speaking, the first word that came to my mind when I saw the pic with the wings and pilote seated : a WA:SP (Warframe Advanced : Strong Position) (okay the name is lame sorry...)
Anyway, this one does look nice too but does approach too much the human body, so it's like we are just focusing on imporving the performance of what we have already, I'm gonna refer to the manga : "Knigths & Magic" where the main character (which is a big fan of mecha) just say that , well, it's just wrong!
Effectively, mecha does allow us to not only improve our existing strenght, but also allow the unreacheable for us, weak creature, to be accessible (ex: wielding a melee, shield and 2 guns at the same time)
A shape that would be more humanlike, to me, would feet better "manual" works where you would probably feel more confortable with a similar shape than yours to do the job?

this is just a suggestion and expression of my opinion.

but yeah, don't give up on first version, don't do OVERQUALITY either (especially when you do not have that much money :/)!

Status
Not open for further replies.