IMPORTANT: Omniframe Mk II

Do you prefer the direction of Omniframe Original or Mk II going forward?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darker7

Firstclaimer
Jul 2, 2017
To be honest both should be in the game .
The agile fast one and the tanky slow one
But if i have to pick a favorit its easy the second version .
I think a warrior should not show skin and be protected all the way .
the first one could be like a rogue but will be killed to easy if you want to be able to take a serious beating
But the Mk. I pilot is protected by forcefields. And the hard driver mode of Mk. I has even thicker armor than the Mk. II :Ü™

PIghead Elderberry

Kaiju Slayer
JUMBO KAIJU SLAYER
Jun 4, 2017
CA USA
You Could use the Omniframe Mk. I for the Light Omniframe Base and use the Omniframe Mk2 for the Medium would be really smart use of assets and would look great!
I totally agree with this suggestion, if possible.

They both look good to me, but very different. The II seems big and brutish and bulky like a 'heavy' frame. The first looks relative to the 2nd agile and nimble like a 'light' frame.

If possible, I would like to see Mk I for light frames and the Mk II for the medium frames (or heavy). If we only have one frame to start, pick either one and run with it but keep the other in reserve for the other type of frame.

p.s. I also don't see why there are extra arms exactly...

Jul 28, 2016
Personally prefer the second overall, but I like the legs of the first, that sort of semi-digitigrade thing with most of the armour on the pilot's legs. Love the quad arms though, tons of interesting animation and emote potential.

I want to suggest using both for different purposes like others have, but the mk1 is very anime while the mk2 is pretty western, kinda feel like they'd clash if you had both. Maybe in-lore manufacturers/factions with different styles?

CatCloud

Firstclaimer
Jun 20, 2017
Sweden
Those feet on MK1 is just a no-go IMO, they make the whole thing look unbalanced and i cant se how it can possible walk on anything but flat solid ground, unless it jumps when it moves?
The arm wings(?) would prob better on the back.

MK2 looks good but the insect wings are stand out in a odd way, something different more non-energy like would prob be better, something like MK1´s

Maybe just take the Arms and legs from MK2 and put it on MK1, move the wing to the back instead of the arm

MK1 is Dope though! i really like it Zaku II feels man.

Thunderstrike

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Aug 29, 2016
If I may offer my opinion...

I like both, in concept. However, the 3D model for the Mk I has a few problems, being:
1) It's not very accurate to the concept art
2) Gun holding will be very unwieldy (this applies to concept art as well)
3) Animating both pilot and frame and syncing them is going to be a nightmare
4) It doesn't fit very well artistically with the THMPR, Tsi-new or Kaiju (this applies to concept art as well)

The four-armed Mk II is really unique in that it blends an insectoid design with your standard Iron Man-type exoframe. I can imagine it flying in a Superman pose or fluttering its wings to hover above the ground. It's immediately more versatile in how it can be animated, and it's got plenty of poseability going on for different poses, and giving the secondary pilot arms their own special animations would be a really nice touch.

This would be especially neat for showing the difference between dual-wielding light Mk IIs and single-wielding medium Mk IIs. When dual-wield weapons are reloaded, watching the little arms insert new magazines up into the guns would be neat and a little humorous, while for a heavy single weapon the arms could have a little wobble as both they hoist it up into the weapon. There's a lot of character that could be conveyed with the extra set of arms and I really like that.

Mk II being a more standard humanoid build will be a lot more easy to create cosmetics for, IMO. Aside from the arms, there's not much weirdness going on like the gorilla arms of the Mk I. It's way more compact, which means that troop transport vehicles or dropships (should either happen) won't need to compensate for the Mk I's wideness and wings. The humanoid part should allow it to be animated more easily as well.

Lore-wise, the Mk II's insectoid appearance could be explained as the Gatestriders making adaptations based off of the Kaiju they've fought, and right now a lot of tech companies are looking into solutions for problems like data storage by using biological systems. A lot of impressive technology today is based off of designs found in nature and I think it would be a really nice touch.

Minor realism nit-pick: Em8er is an ice world. Having small footprints for heavy objects is a bad idea because all the weight is distributed across a very small amount of space, making the object sink or get bogged down. More of an issue with Mk I than II.

For the sake of convenience later on in development, I say go with the Mk II and keep the Mk I as an easter egg; and older model of the Omniframe. However, I am concerned at how much stuff is getting changed. Only the THMPR and Kaiju have remained untouched, so if the Em8er team plans to go back on this please make sure it's the last time, and that it's done right this time. The Omniframe didn't have orthographics last time to get it done more quickly and use less money, but we did raise a fair bit extra and I think the extra time and effort would be worth it for such a major part of Em8er.

also the legs need work on the mk ii

That's just my 2 cents though.

SSH83

Firstclaimer
Jul 29, 2016
I dont understand the "clash" coming from a non-artists perspective. They all look equally anime mecha. I think what you're missing is thematic inspiration of the frame. Warframe always has a thematic starting point that help focus and inspire. "Omni" is a bit too vague as a focal point. Maybe omni is the base and you will add attachments that look cool/thematic and the attachment versions are the ones you show off.

Dreamin

Base Commander
Base Commander
Dec 4, 2016
PNW
Majority MK I - It has had more work put into it ;-)

What are the second set of arms for? Will they be usable/functioning or just ornamental? (If the pilot is using his own arms to do things (second set) what is the Mech suit being controlled with?)

MK II Shoulders and feet/legs appear more natural in design and the hands look much better, what are the big blocks between the thighs, movement limiters?

That's all for now though please note; 4 pages of replies in 4 hours... NO I did not read them before responding ;-(

Donovon

Deepscanner
Jun 20, 2017
Phoenix
blog.mikesalot.com
I rather like both the Mk1 and Mk2 designs, but an enclosed design is more practical for a piece of hardware that may be taking hits from an intelligent enemy. The open design leaves a lot of "soft spots" and strikes me as impractical from a combat perspective.

I like the 4-armed idea, so long as the mech arms can be controlled independent of the pilot's arms. This might add some interesting animation opportunities where the pilot might use his or her own hands to examine or manipulate something small while using the big hands for more dangerous tasks, or even just to look cool by handing things off between big hands and little hands.

Jan 26, 2017
Portugal
Majority MK I - It has had more work put into it ;-)

What are the second set of arms for? Will they be usable/functioning or just ornamental? (If the pilot is using his own arms to do things (second set) what is the Mech suit being controlled with?)(
supposedly, the omniframes are controlled by the pilot's limbs: just as the legs move according to the pilot's leg movements, so do the omniframe's arms mimic the pilot's arm movements.

NightStroke

Base Commander
Base Commander
Jul 26, 2016
My initial reaction to mk2 is that the torso and arms are SIGNIFICANTLY more badass. Looks a lot more rugged. But the legs, especially the lower half, look pretty generic. If mk2 were to be made, I'd hope that the team might take a look at recon or assault boots from firefall for a bit of inspiration.

mk1 stands out for its originality. The design in and of itself is pretty good. I dig the wings and jet things on the back, as well as the sketches representation of the legs. The issue is that with the actual 3d model, the legs and wing/jet things are a lot more tall than I imagined; I thought that they'd be more round. The calves on the mk1 also need something to accentuate them. I also really like the idea of the hidden shield such that we could show off our pilots and all.

I don't see any reason to get rid of the mk1 design. Modify it to make it work as needed. But the mk2 design has a lot of potential as well. I think I'll try to draw up what I'd like to see in the mk2 design if it were to exist. Until I make up my mind on which I prefer, I'm going to abstain from voting.

Hex

Firstclaimer
Jan 26, 2017
I honestly love both of them but the original is the one im more fond of. If you would, you could make the original one a bit bulkier to resemble the second. Find a middle ground?

JetSet

Lieutenant
Apr 10, 2017
I've never been overly fond of the original concept, as I feel it is a bit too inspired by the Project Genom mech suit. Every time I see the omniframe that's what I think of. Nothing wrong with being inspired of course, but in my mind it's just a bit too blatant.

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
I personally want to pilot heavy version of MK1. So I'm with the adjustment. Long time ago I had mentioned liking anything that matched up woth Patlabor and the armed suits from Ghost In the Shell. So MK2 is still very impressive. Someone also nailed it with the reference to Section 8.

So I have stated my vote with sticking to MK1 while refining it. MK2 is rocking it but the wings are.....hmmm. people are throwing lore around to defend and attack. Both work with lore folks. How many companies are involved in the lore and you think there is one design?

To avoid the stigma of firefalls redesigns and overhauls, keep MK1 rolling and work in MK2 down the road based on another heavy hitter corporation making a move on Em-8ER. Maybe even from a piracy angle. Hence the adaptation to badassery.

Don't throw away any development and resources used before playable mockup and kickstarter. But for sure maintain that listening to the community stance and reward with MK2 eventually.

Thamriyell

Deepscanner
Jul 23, 2017
Like most, I think it would be good to just modify the OG one to match the rest thematically. The concept is good, maybe just redesign the outer casing

Daevic

Omni Ace
Jul 26, 2016
Devil's Tusk
I personlly like the original design. The MK.II seems more built for combat and riot control not planetary exploration and resource gathering. Some have mentioned that the original should be used by NPC's and the MK.II should be for players I see it the other way around. We (players in original gear) landed started lookin around ecountered hostile life and called in the heavy support (NPC's in MK.II).

Mar 2, 2017
Metal Gear Rex
I am actually torn between both, There are parts that I like about each; but overall I feel like should keep the original and modify it for "heavy" combat; since at the moment it looks like it would not be battle ready or suitable for head to head.

Although I do like the idea of keeping the MKI as for players, and having Npcs using the MKII. ;)

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
I love them both now after looking more carefully

Mk-I
1) Hard Driver mode looks very cool
2) feet might look odd but gives it a unique difference than the MK-II like it could spring into action!
3) Seems to have a lighter weight look in comparison to the MK-II
4) Less arms than MK-II due to power requirements or the combat capabilities of the mech model i am guessing
5) wings look more solid than Mk-II, perhaps it will be more better maneuvering in the air
6) Mech head looks less bulky and has a protruding horn/antenna giving it a more agile look maybe it has improved radar/vision/stealth ability to scout etc

Mk-II
1) Would be cool if it has a hard driver mode too would fit this well
2) Feet looks ideal for this, as it seems to be a heavier mech I would guess its a Medium to me it doesn't feel like a super heavy
3) The MK-II looks bulkier in general
4) MK-II has 4 arms could this be more to carry, 4x the POW and able to open something and retrieving the item with the other 2 hands perhaps hmm
5) Holographic style wings give it a dragonfly feel as it extends these seems to have more energy than the MK-I meaning it has more power but could have less maneuverability than MK-I
6) Mech head looks more bulky and aggressive looking and the shoulders too looks like especially the circular section on the shoulders is for launching rockets/lasers/ then again it could be just lights to make those shoulders standout!!!

To solve an issue with the feet why not have the option for changeable feet for the appearance then there is a given
choice for us to select what looks good to our individual taste.

Some like the open pilot look with the shield and others like the hard driver mode why not have both for any mech to switch
i like the hard driver mode more but its cool to see the other version too.

For those who do not like the 4 arms look could have it so it is hidden when not in use retracts and when its in use extends out of hiding think like where robocop has the guns in his outer thighs the same kind of idea but for arms and in the upper waist area of the mech.

Next the MK-III for super Heavy with a shiny shield & Mighty battle Axe-cannon?

Status
Not open for further replies.