Omni-frame Calldown Times

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
I'LL TRY TO PUT IT THIS WAY, BUT NOT EVEN SURE MYSELF.

THE CURRENT FRAME THAT IS ACTIVE KINDA HAS A SHORT CALL DOWN TIME.
IF IT GET DESTROYED OR CALLING DOWN A NEW FRAME, THAT MIGHT TAKE A WHILE.

Rocket

Max Kahuna
Max Kahina
Jul 26, 2016
Australia
That will likely be one of many means to balance play, especially if better resources are to be had sooner further out from base. Gotta get em back there.

PIghead Elderberry

Kaiju Slayer
JUMBO KAIJU SLAYER
Jun 4, 2017
CA USA
That makes sense wrt realism, and it really makes sense when you see it as making the danger even higher as one ventures far from support bases.

It also is a good reason for us to spread out and secure more territory, as resources and frames would be more available. However, do we get too much realism where a frame is literally parked at a game location and has to be retrieved from that specific location? Maybe, maybe not...

If we had frames left at specific bases, and then the bases got destroyed, the frames could be "magically" ejected to the next nearest base to the destroyed base. So we need not lose them in that case, just have them further from us.

That adds an interesting dynamic!

Rocket

Max Kahuna
Max Kahina
Jul 26, 2016
Australia
However, do we get too much realism where a frame is literally parked at a game location and has to be retrieved from that specific location? Maybe, maybe not...
That would be an awesome gameplay feature. Maybe a random side quest or something for when there's not enough players for an invasion. Even a tutorial to the games gameplay systems. Get a starter Omni-Frame, and have to go and retrieve "your" Omni-Frame.

Jul 27, 2016
They're supposed to be dropped in, akin to a calldown(barring the cosmetic teleport), but a distance based delay from the nearest allied base would be reasonable, though it also depends on why you're calling it down. If a frame is destroyed, I imagine it will be quicker to call down another one you own than to try to immediately re-summon the destroyed one.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Would the omniframe call out be increased if you died more often?

Would there be a mini game during that long wait?

Would a player be able to make tea or take a toilet break sufficiently if it was a long cool down?

Aug 14, 2016
I wouldn't mind waiting a longer time if there was a good reason for it that made sense. And you could have some of those reasons why it takes longer even be part of missions and even the story.

For example
You go into an enemy base that is to small for your frame, so you have go on foot. While you are in the base you are somehow moved to a even farther away place or the base itself moves (the base is really a giant monster the enemy is using as a living fortress). After you make it to place where you can use your frame again and call for back up, you have to wait until they can get to you as your location is different from where you was last in contact with them. Or something like that.

Also on a side note. I would be happy even if part of the reason why it takes so long is because the people who are sending out new units are people who don't really know what they are doing because they are new to the job or are just bad at their jobs. lol

Last edited:

Nalessa

Commander
Jan 6, 2017
Belgium
I really hate the idea of waiting to get back into battle, it kills the buzz.
This is really important to keep in mind aswell.

In a way there should be some sort of "punishment" for getting wrecked in battle, but you also have to make sure you don't make it so you are barred from playing the meat of the game too much.

Maybe have some sort of beacon type item that takes a bunch of resources to make, but it acts like a spawning beacon that makes it so people can respawn or re-equip a new frame quickly near it. (Kind of like how droppods in Dawn of War 2 can be called in and also act as a temporary way to reinforce damage squads)

Aug 14, 2016
But I thought that part of the game was that we are not 100% relaying on the Omniframes to do battle. That even while outside of the frames we could fight. If that is the case, than as long as we can still put up a good fight without the frames than a longer wait time is not really a problem.

If fact, some of the player base might choose to challenge themselves by fighting without the use of a frame when possible. As I am in that group in other games. When possible, as long as the game allows for such things, I'm the guy who'll fight bosses and do raids naked or using newbie gear. I do it as a test of skill and to show my mastery of the game. As long as the game doesn't have to much artificial difficulty that forces people to grind for the best gear and stuff just to be viable, then it should be possible to even do end game stuff while having next to nothing other than your skills as a player. And sure there was this one time I soloed a world class boss that normally takes 15 to 20 maxed out people, at least, to take down by fighting it nonstop for 4 hours. But I killed it and proved to everyone seating on the nearby mountain watching me that player skill matters more than what gear you have. So yea, I don't really care if it takes longer for a new frame to get me because I'm far away from any human controlled base or outpost. I'll just in on foot and use my brain to win fights like I always have.

Also talking about death punishment in games. Some games do have fun with their death mechanic and even make them a part of the story and missions. For example, in the game "The Secret World" when you die you leave your body and spawn as a spirit at a nearby spawn point. From there you can choose to come back to life at the spawn point you are on or you can run back to your body and spawn where you died. This seems normal enough until you start to notice some odd things. Like how while running around as a spirit not everything in the world is the same as when you are in your body. So new paths open up or sometime you see new NPCs that was not there before or see other things that the living can't. And then you run across some missions where you have to kill yourself so you can walk around as a spirit to open a door or read messages or even talk to the ghost of NPCs to who was killed by monsters to ask them the password to their computer or safe or the name of their killer.

If done right the death punishment in games can add more fun to the game. So rather than focusing on how the death punishment could hurt a player and kill their fun. Let's see if we can find ways to make the punishment in and of itself fun to the players.

Last edited:

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Director of Marketing and Community
Jul 26, 2016
But I thought that part of the game was that we are not 100% relaying on the Omniframes to do battle. That even while outside of the frames we could fight. If that is the case, than as long as we can still put up a good fight without the frames than a longer wait time is not really a problem.
To answer that: While the players can get out of the frames we will find ourselves very squishy and generally not a match for the enemies on Em-8ER. Exactly what kind of actions and arsenal the character can use outside of the omniframe is still being decided, but at this stage no one should be expecting to have much capability to be effective in combat outside of the frames (or outside of the other vehicles if and when they get added).

Think of it this way. the main purpose of being able to get out of the Omniframe your in is to go get into another one.

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
I like the idea that you're sitting in a barraks/mess hall/cafe/etc relaxing after a hard days work with all your friends around you when suddenly lights flash, alarms go off, and you all have to run across town desperately trying to remember where you parked your omniframe.
LMAO.
THAT'LL BE A MEMORABLE F*CK UP MOMENT.

"YO, REMEMBER THAT ONE TIME WHERE WE LOST A BASE BECAUSE WE COULDN'T REMEMBER WHERE WE PARKED OUR FRAMES"

"AY. ME AND MY LADS WERE FLAMING HARD. TOO DRUNK TO REALIZE WE WERE TRYING TO JUMP IN A FRAME THAT WASN'T EVEN OURS"

Drakin5

Omni Ace
Dec 15, 2016
And we lost the base due to massive team kills. Way to go Torgue....next time go easy on the Spice Beer.
Good thing I only go for fast food. At least, you can burn fat for hours of fighting instead of getting a hangover.
If you ask me, I like my pizzas...

Dec 15, 2016
While on the subject of frame calldown, why not have a mobile respawn vehicle in which you can call your frame if it gets destroyed? Of course, someone has to keep the engines running and not get rekt by the tsi-hus while flying/driving it.