Ability suggestion thread

Aug 14, 2016
As some of you know, I like to melee. Hell, in the beta of FireFall I was one of the people running around killing things with the scan hammer long before they added in a melee to the game. And you also know I like to make high speed mecha get into and out of attacks. This that being said I'll post one the builds I'll like to be able to use in the game ii at all possible.

I want to have a fast moving mecha what can duel wield blades. It'll have an overclock passive that for will kick in when doing some actions, this passive will make all movements and abilities faster as well as more powerful for a given time at cost of using extra energy and building up more heat. The side effects of the overclocking can be countered by having powerful generator/reactor and cooling systems.

One of the abilities I want on my mecha goes by many names in different games, comics, and anime but it also one that is always given to melee masters. It is the ability to hit a lot of different times in a really short succession to kill enemies. It is the melee version of a machine gun attack. I want to moving close to an enemy really fast and just unleash hell on them with my fists and/or blades.

I'll use the game Mabinogi as an example because of the ability called "Final Hit".
The final hit is an attack skill that is most effective in melee combat which brings down the enemy with crazed force that pushes the body's strength to the limits. You can defeat the enemy by instantaneously moving in the speed of a sword in the air, which allows you to keep swinging your sword even when you are under attack by the enemy as long as you are holding the sword in both hands. If you are holding a weapon in just one hand, you will be able to blow away your enemy with a single swing in the air.
  • While this ability is active you will teleport next to your enemy and is able to attack nonstop without recover time between swings.
  • Attacks become more powerful and you are able to resist stuns and knock downs.
  • Dual wielding blades can stun-lock enemies in place.
  • Using a single weapons lets you do a single attack that knocks down or pushes enemies back with each hit.
  • Players should keep an eye on their Stamina, as Final Hit slowly drains stamina over time based on its rank along with the weapon's stamina usage per hit.

Another version of this ability is in the game Warframe with that character Ash. It is called Blade Storm.
  • Ash instantly enters a state of intense focus as he searches for targets to assassinate, emitting black smoke and seeing the environment in monochrome. During targeting mode, enemies within 50 meters that are seen near the aiming reticle become tagged with a Death Mark that appears above them, while all marked targets are highlighted in red. Staring at enemies longer will add up to 2 additional marks, signifying more than one potential attack. Activating the ability again will spawn 2 Shadow Clones that follow Ash's assault as he teleports and attacks all marked enemies. Each attack (including clone attacks) consumes one mark and inflicts 750 / 1000 / 1500 / 2000 Finisher damage with a 100%
    Bleed chance.

Last edited:

Drakin5

Omni Ace
Dec 15, 2016
Would abilities get different types besides the usual?
Take for example the dreadnought's ability, Heavy Armor.

It would go like this:

-'Passive' Heavy Armor
Increases damage resistance by X%.

-'Passive/Active' Heavy Armor
Increases damage resistance by x%
Activate to increase damage resistance by y% for z seconds.

-'Active' Heavy Armor
Activate to increase damage resistance by Y% for Z seconds.

What do you think?

Aug 14, 2016
Would abilities get different types besides the usual?
Take for example the dreadnought's ability, Heavy Armor.

It would go like this:

-'Passive' Heavy Armor
Increases damage resistance by X%.

-'Passive/Active' Heavy Armor
Increases damage resistance by x%
Activate to increase damage resistance by y% for z seconds.

-'Active' Heavy Armor
Activate to increase damage resistance by Y% for Z seconds.

What do you think?
That is one of the things about energy shields, you can do fun things with them if you understand how they work. Sadly most games and movies don't understand this. They don't seem to understand that changing the size and shape of a shield will also change what that shield can and can't do.

Two simple example to easily make an energy shield more powerful.
  1. Give the shield more energy will make it more powerful but will also make it drain energy faster and the heat build up greater. To keep the extra heat from damaging your own systems or hurting the user you vent all the extra heat at once when you stop using the ability or the energy holding up the shield runs out. All the extra heat will make the surrounding air expand rapidly causing a pressure wave that will spread out in all directions. With enough heat this pressure wave can stun and even push back all surrounding enemies.
  2. Make the shield smaller to concentrate the energy in one spot to block or absorb any attack at the cost of less coverage. You can block attacks that you might not be able to otherwise while the shield is in this small concentrated state. But any attacks that you fail to block will hit you with full force.
  • A good example of this type of shielding system is in Macross Robotech. The Pin-point Barrier Defense System, also known as Pin-point Barrier System, was a mobile micro-shield system created from energy remaining from the fold drive. It required several operators to function, using a special trackball control system. It was developed by Dr. Emil Lang of the Robotech Research Group. A more advanced version, the Omni-directional Barrier, was later developed. It enveloped the entire ship, but overloaded if put under too much stress from enemy fire. It would later be used for more advanced Robotech ships under the United Earth Forces and Robotech Expeditionary Forces.
Remember this all using the same energy shield but just by controlling how the shield is shaped and the flow of energy to it you get different effects when activating it. Do you want to overload the shield get more power and AOE effect at the cost of losing your shields for some time after while the shield generator cools down and recharges? Or do you make the shield smaller to block all damage with at the risk of taking extra damage of to misjudge where they attack is going to land?

Those are just two basic example of what can do with energy shields if you really think about how they work. After all there is not much difference between energy shields and energy weapons other than shape of the energy field, the flow of energy, and the frequency it is on.

Last edited:

BunnyHunny

Deepscanner
Aug 20, 2016
After all there is not much difference between energy shields and energy weapons other than shape of the energy field, the flow of energy, and the frequency it is on.
Just as similar as a car and a gun.
Different shape, different flow of energy...

Thinking about it, a car and a gun might have more similarities.

Aug 14, 2016
Just as similar as a car and a gun.
Different shape, different flow of energy...

Thinking about it, a car and a gun might have more similarities.
You might joke about it. But you know that the same math you use to find out the damage of a bullet is the same math you use to find out the damage of a car hitting something.

In some schools of thought the way we are trained to fight is that most things are interchangeable. Yes, shields are designed for blocking attacks by redirecting and / or absorbing the energy of an incoming force. But at the same time you can use that shield to attack the enemy as well by ramming into them and / or bashing them with the rim of the shield. Yes, a sword is designed to cut things. But at the same times you can use that sword to block attacks or do blunt force damage (like a hammer) when don't want cut something. What something is designed to do or designed to be and what its actual nature is are two different things.

To put it another way.
All war is deception. Everyone and everything has a purpose and a path, if only as a ruse or a diversion. Everything can be manipulated into usefulness by those who truly understand the very nature of things.

Last edited: