Em-8ER invasion ideas?

Would you be excited to see this type on invasion in Em-8ER

• Total voters

Gonad Pony

Firstclaimer
Mar 18, 2017
Hey guys! I wanted to hear all your coolest ideas for Em-8ER invasions!

I was thinking something along the lines of infection and choices, leaving two ways for a player made base to be destroyed: Takeover and Destruction. The basic model of a Tsi-hu invasion would be grunts and casters. The grunts would (obviously) attack the front line and will be the foremost focus of most of the players contesting the invasion, they attack the defending players and base itself, lowering health of the base and destroying components (we could have specialized Tsi-hu that attack automated defenses, and specialized Tsi-hu that attack players primarily, or even supports like NPC's or resource drops). Then there's the casters: these little baddies are the true threat of an invasion. All the while as you defend your base from grunts these casters spread a destructive "infection" across the base, taking over resource packs or automated defenses and using them against you, to the point that they may just be shut down or flat out threats (resource packs now not only do not give you resources, but will actually siphon them from you (such as ammo and health, not crafting components, that would ruin the game (unless those are raid-type infections in which players know that's a threat and accept it)). This "infection" (for lack of a better word) is attackable in the areas that create disadvantages for players, so players can regain control, but the rest is more of a cosmetic virus (and sort of progress bar) that you can see spread across the base that will eventually take it over so control falls to the Tsi-hu, unless you kill all the casters, that is...

This invasion model would give pressure, replayability and strategy to the game, players will have to choose what they want to attack and defend (would they rather save the base walls and defenses/resource generators via killing attacking grunts or a spreading virus, or would they want to build towards becoming glass-cannon and destroying all the casters first (or maybe even grunts) then cleaning up the rest?

Degiance

Deepscanner
Jul 5, 2017
Finland
degiance.deviantart.com
Could it varie depending on the size of the invasion? I mean if there is bunch of CAT 3's with a CAT4 right outside the gates, like in a every gun matters type of situation the infectious corruption won't take place?
But i like the strategetic element in this type of invasion. Like could it be corruptors instead of casters cause then it would open up the idea for stuff like.. The omniframes being corrupted and being used by the Kai-ju in this sick tormented way (Like think the Marines with the zerg infestation from Starcraft )

Aug 14, 2016
Given that I often like to out think my enemies rather than using brute force I would like to see something set up where good tactics is more important than just kill everything that isn't Human. I would like there be things like infiltration and espionage in the game for us people who like things like stealth. First of all there would have to be multiple ways into and out of bases. There is no such thing as a perfect defense and every fortress has blind spots by the nature of how they work.

• Before the start of the Human attack on a Tsi-hu base there could be a stage where stealth players are free to do their thing. Gathering info on the enemy and mapping out as much as they can. This stage would effect how much data the other players have at the start of the attack and how much NPC support from command they get.
    • For example, if the base has a lot of anti-air defenses it would not be smart to send in dropships that could be shot down easily. So maybe command will send out artillery support to help take out AA systems while giving the players ground transport to the base rather than air transport. But the reverse can also be true, if command doesn't have enough info about the enemy forces in the base or the base itself they could make a plan that would make things harder for the players to win. Like not knowing there is an energy field around the base that stops our missile systems form working the right way because of all the errors it make in the targeting system and/or the arming system.
  • Stealth players after doing a bit of recon could find different ways into the enemy base without being noticed and setting up for the attack later or if they are really skilled end the fight before it even starts.
    • Some players might want to set charges to blow open doors and holes in walls at the start of the attack to make it easier for other players to get into the base. And while they are at it take out things like guard towers and AA systems.
    • Some players might want to go deep into the base and shut down different systems or hack them to take them over. Turning the enemy's own system against them by changing the targeting settings or cutting off the power to different parts of the base. While they are at it they could also try to take any useful info that they can. Like if there is a new model of weapon the enemy are working on or that their leaders are going to make a statement soon.
    • Some players might want to see how many enemies that they can kill without setting off alarms. It could be possible for them to kill off every enemy in the base without an alarm going out. But if an alarm does go off the normal attack could start early as the enemy would also likely call for support from their command, unless some of the players can stop the communication systems they have.
I could go on, but I think you get my idea. Have different ways players can fight and win that doesn't force them to run in guns ablazing. Some players like to play as the scalpel rather than the sledgehammer. So having things set up to do both would make a great game. Because while some would enjoy having a massive battle killing waves of enemies, some of us would also like to avoid that and end a fight before the enemy even has time to react to us.

Last edited:

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
Hey guys! I wanted to hear all your coolest ideas for Em-8ER invasions!

I was thinking something along the lines of infection and choices, leaving two ways for a player made base to be destroyed: Takeover and Destruction. The basic model of a Tsi-hu invasion would be grunts and casters. The grunts would (obviously) attack the front line and will be the foremost focus of most of the players contesting the invasion, they attack the defending players and base itself, lowering health of the base and destroying components (we could have specialized Tsi-hu that attack automated defenses, and specialized Tsi-hu that attack players primarily, or even supports like NPC's or resource drops). Then there's the casters: these little baddies are the true threat of an invasion. All the while as you defend your base from grunts these casters spread a destructive "infection" across the base, taking over resource packs or automated defenses and using them against you, to the point that they may just be shut down or flat out threats (resource packs now not only do not give you resources, but will actually siphon them from you (such as ammo and health, not crafting components, that would ruin the game (unless those are raid-type infections in which players know that's a threat and accept it)). This "infection" (for lack of a better word) is attackable in the areas that create disadvantages for players, so players can regain control, but the rest is more of a cosmetic virus (and sort of progress bar) that you can see spread across the base that will eventually take it over so control falls to the Tsi-hu, unless you kill all the casters, that is...

This invasion model would give pressure, replayability and strategy to the game, players will have to choose what they want to attack and defend (would they rather save the base walls and defenses/resource generators via killing attacking grunts or a spreading virus, or would they want to build towards becoming glass-cannon and destroying all the casters first (or maybe even grunts) then cleaning up the rest?
ONE THING WE ALREADY KNOW ABOUT THOSE BLOODY RABBITS.
TSI-HU WILL USE RANGED ATTACKS MOST OF THE TIME (like the "Casters" you mentioned).
THEIR TRANSFORMED FORM ARE RAGING MELEE SUCKERS (aka the "Grunts" above).

A BIT OFF TOPIC
WE GONNA NEED RABBITS VARIANT FOR YOUR IDEAS.
THOSE "CASTERS", WHAT HAPPEN WHEN THEY TRANSFORM INTO MUTATED RABBITS?

I IMAGINE A SNIPER RABBIT WHEN TRANSFORMED, IS A MORE SLEEK, FAST, AGILE THING. THAT SHADOW STEP AROUND AND BACK STAB THE SH*T OUTTA US.

AND THOSE WEIGHT LIFTING RABBITS WILL TRANSFORM INTO A RABBIT EQUIVALENT OF "HULK SMASH".

Drakin5

Omni Ace
Dec 15, 2016
Straight up actual invasions are exciting like that on FF. I would suggest that stealth oriented frames relay information about the invading force's strength before the attack.

You can't just widdly diddly take up your weapons and start defending/attacking without knowing what you're up against.

Gonad Pony

Firstclaimer
Mar 18, 2017
Given that I often like to out think my enemies rather than using brute force I would like to see something set up where good tactics is more important than just kill everything that isn't Human. I would like there be things like infiltration and espionage in the game for us people who like things like stealth. First of all there would have to be multiple ways into and out of bases. There is no such thing as a perfect defense and every fortress has blind spots by the nature of how they work.

• Before the start of the Human attack on a Tsi-hu base there could be a stage where stealth players are free to do their thing. Gathering info on the enemy and mapping out as much as they can. This stage would effect how much data the other players have at the start of the attack and how much NPC support from command they get.
    • For example, if the base has a lot of anti-air defenses it would not be smart to send in dropships that could be shot down easily. So maybe command will send out artillery support to help take out AA systems while giving the players ground transport to the base rather than air transport. But the reverse can also be true, if command doesn't have enough info about the enemy forces in the base or the base itself they could make a plan that would make things harder for the players to win. Like not knowing there is an energy field around the base that stops our missile systems form working the right way because of all the errors it make in the targeting system and/or the arming system.
  • Stealth players after doing a bit of recon could find different ways into the enemy base without being noticed and setting up for the attack later or if they are really skilled end the fight before it even starts.
    • Some players might want to set charges to blow open doors and holes in walls at the start of the attack to make it easier for other players to get into the base. And while they are at it take out things like guard towers and AA systems.
    • Some players might want to go deep into the base and shut down different systems or hack them to take them over. Turning the enemy's own system against them by changing the targeting settings or cutting off the power to different parts of the base. While they are at it they could also try to take any useful info that they can. Like if there is a new model of weapon the enemy are working on or that their leaders are going to make a statement soon.
    • Some players might want to see how many enemies that they can kill without setting off alarms. It could be possible for them to kill off every enemy in the base without an alarm going out. But if an alarm does go off the normal attack could start early as the enemy would also likely call for support from their command, unless some of the players can stop the communication systems they have.
I could go on, but I think you get my idea. Have different ways players can fight and win that doesn't force them to run in guns ablazing. Some players like to play as the scalpel rather than the sledgehammer. So having things set up to do both would make a great game. Because while some would enjoy having a massive battle killing waves of enemies, some of us would also like to avoid that and end a fight before the enemy even has time to react to us.
"Apagando las luces"

Degiance

Deepscanner
Jul 5, 2017
Finland
degiance.deviantart.com
I couldn't help but to think of the animals from the Zoo series with that mutating pathogen. Bears developing bullet proof hides, snakes scales turning to organic toxic glass that can kill plant life, vultures spitting out bile on top of the clouds creating acid blood rain.. In that show the mutation happend in stages. Stage 1 just made the animals smarter and extremly aggressive and deadly and stage 2 gave them special adaptations like bullet proof hide or claws that can tear trough steel. (I wouldn't mind having a situation where a CAT2-3 randomly gets a mutagen that takes them to Stage 2 so i can just say:"STAGE 2! RUN MAN RUN!" or "Where the hell is those reinforcements?!" )

Nalessa

Commander
Jan 6, 2017
Belgium
Logically speaking, the tsi-hu at the start shouldn't be too numerous.

They're still in the "waking up" phase as we start the game.

The further we expand, the more time they had to wake up and build tougher bases to prepare for us and launch more devastating attacks on our own, potentially having bigger or deadlier types of kaiju aswell.

Kind of like Xcom enemy within long war mod.
At first it's just sectoids and thin men, then floaters, mutons, cyberdisks, etc etc, and lower tiered units like sectoids also get more hp and armor.

What I'd also really would like is, if possible ofcourse, the tsi-hu have a system like in long war where each invasion has a "cost" too it.
At times they just send a bunch of minor or medium invasions, saving up resources so they can then launch a very powerfull attack on an important point on the map that's really hard to beat, if not impossible.
But it's ok, you can't win them all after all, but you can later come back, when your own gear is better and take it back once again!

Gonad Pony

Firstclaimer
Mar 18, 2017
Logically speaking, the tsi-hu at the start shouldn't be too numerous.

They're still in the "waking up" phase as we start the game.

The further we expand, the more time they had to wake up and build tougher bases to prepare for us and launch more devastating attacks on our own, potentially having bigger or deadlier types of kaiju aswell.

Kind of like Xcom enemy within long war mod.
At first it's just sectoids and thin men, then floaters, mutons, cyberdisks, etc etc, and lower tiered units like sectoids also get more hp and armor.

What I'd also really would like is, if possible ofcourse, the tsi-hu have a system like in long war where each invasion has a "cost" too it.
At times they just send a bunch of minor or medium invasions, saving up resources so they can then launch a very powerfull attack on an important point on the map that's really hard to beat, if not impossible.
But it's ok, you can't win them all after all, but you can later come back, when your own gear is better and take it back once again!
Well yes, not every invasion will necessarily have this system to it, just as a ton of concepts in this thread, each invasion will be dynamic, yielding more or less grunts and casters and depending on how far out the zone is, the strength. Just because what I've explained is my vision doesn't mean it's cookie-cutter. You can't do that in a game, it simply gets too dry. My point was that should be the base model of invasions, scaled up or down, sideways or diagonal or whatever direction on whichever axis, X, Y, or Z (hell, even W (4th dimension) if you please). Just like anything, there should be a template, but that's all it is, free to edit, welcoming to change.

Gonad Pony

Firstclaimer
Mar 18, 2017
Could it varie depending on the size of the invasion? I mean if there is bunch of CAT 3's with a CAT4 right outside the gates, like in a every gun matters type of situation the infectious corruption won't take place?
But i like the strategetic element in this type of invasion. Like could it be corruptors instead of casters cause then it would open up the idea for stuff like.. The omniframes being corrupted and being used by the Kai-ju in this sick tormented way (Like think the Marines with the zerg infestation from Starcraft )
Exactly, threatening yet permutable. Unpredictable yet plannable.

Gonad Pony

Firstclaimer
Mar 18, 2017
ONE THING WE ALREADY KNOW ABOUT THOSE BLOODY RABBITS.
TSI-HU WILL USE RANGED ATTACKS MOST OF THE TIME (like the "Casters" you mentioned).
THEIR TRANSFORMED FORM ARE RAGING MELEE SUCKERS (aka the "Grunts" above).

A BIT OFF TOPIC
WE GONNA NEED RABBITS VARIANT FOR YOUR IDEAS.
THOSE "CASTERS", WHAT HAPPEN WHEN THEY TRANSFORM INTO MUTATED RABBITS?

I IMAGINE A SNIPER RABBIT WHEN TRANSFORMED, IS A MORE SLEEK, FAST, AGILE THING. THAT SHADOW STEP AROUND AND BACK STAB THE SH*T OUTTA US.

AND THOSE WEIGHT LIFTING RABBITS WILL TRANSFORM INTO A RABBIT EQUIVALENT OF "HULK SMASH".
Yes. This exactly. This in my raids. But they must have rabbit ears if they're gonna Hulk smash my shit...

Degiance

Deepscanner
Jul 5, 2017
Finland
degiance.deviantart.com
Exactly, threatening yet permutable. Unpredictable yet plannable.
Ever since i heard about how Duskwood was suppose to be a place where you couldn't see without having a torch or some lightsource in-hand in WoW but they scrapped the idea. I have been thinking how awesome it would have been to have a true night/dark invasion.. Like a true dusk till dawn scenario, you can't see sh*t. You must have flares and tracer rounds surrounded by complete f*cking darkness as you can hear Kai-ju's snarling and gurgling in the dark. With limited amount of flares and no night-vision or thermal imaging like a true test of senses and reflexes or finding out how your senses can betray you in the dark.

(Edit: Added the picture )
Screenshot_2014-08-17-01-51-16-1.png

Last edited:

Terricon4

Base Commander
Base Commander
I think they should have different strategies, or leader AIs if you will.

Like one attack may be lead by an enemy that has lots of machinery/tech/buildings. He moves around with a squad of engineers and elite guards that will set up artillery instilations and such to attack the player bases from long range. There will of coarse be other enemies constantly running in to attack the base so that it keeps the players from all just rushing out to him. Perhaps have more than one of these guys in this attack, or one leader and multiple of his squads, but the squad he leads can build a second artillery unit or some extra local defensive turrets to keep players at bay.

Another one could be one that tames kaiju, he focuses on throwing lots of kaiju at you in giant waves with some massive types in there to just smash through the players base.

Another one might be an event where lots of enemies, though mostly weak, just start spawning in massive numbers and swarm across the map in the hundreds after the nearest target. If you were around when Sunken Harbor had invasions way back in Firefall, and experienced one of those ones that would bug so the melding would take Sunken Harbor but the Chosen were still all spawning from it then you know what I'm talking about. Awesome memories with my brother playing then, server was so laggy but it was just awesome with like 200 chosen spread out in the forrest in front of a watchtower trying to move up and take it, and this was after like two hours of intensive fighting having slowly lost all the other ones up till as we were pushed back. Massive constant waves of basic enemies is sure, simple, but if taken to the extreme for long enough it does have its own unique experience that if it only happens occasionally can be really awesome.

Another type could be a stealthy assasin leader. Once again you have some normal enemies running in to attack the main target base, and a greater enemy activity on other areas to keep players tied down a bit. But the main leader and his escort squads have stealth, and can "teleport" while stealthed as long as its not right next to a player. If they get close to a player (or take damage) they start to be visible. So you could be sitting AFK inside a base, and one of these guys just shows up out of nowhere and walks up and backstabs you, you can defend the main front walls bu they can get inside the base and hit the generators and such behind you if you dont keep guarding everywhere. This type of enemy can really spice things up, since you don't know where they will show up from, and each one is like a mini boss.

As far as your idea of one that has enemies that can hack or infect buildings and stuff. Maybe make it so they fire little bio parasites that will start to grow and infest buildings (they use biotech, so like a tamer variation of zerg on your buildings and stuff). Maybe make it so they "cast" it by releasing it into the area around them, and then once the pool of bio stuff gets big enough it will be released and it will move across the terrain (up cliffs/walls/whatever, like a weird moving creep layer) to a target building/area and begin infesting it. Something like this could let the casters both stay out of site so you cant just snipe them from the target area, but also let you still see where they are by following back the path of these big stains moving across the ground.

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
I'm diggin' the concept to the artillery squad. This thought moves into the other debates on platoon organization amongst world players for communication on call signs and strategy. Who wants to fly straight there while under constant fire or who wants to break off and hit their flank. Stealth players could sneak in, wreck the artillery and assassinate the captain. My mind sees what you are talking about very clearly.

Jul 16, 2017
steamcommunity.com
Heck yeah dude invasions are great and one of the things I liked most when I played on Firefall. Except on Firefall they got a bit chaotic due to players not doing what they should have been doing or all players either defending or attacking, with no mix of both. I think invasions should be a little bit more organized than it was like on Firefall. Maybe a set offense squad, defense squad, recon squad and so on and so forth. It kinda sucked when there were like 20 players attacking, but like one person defending, and that person is a recon (me) so their armor is weak af and their frame is not suited for close combat.

It'd also be cool if there were different types like have been mentioned in the thread already. I like the idea of a night/dark invasion. It'd be SPOOKY AF. The only few light sources are consumable flares that players throw out, maybe a few world spawned bonfires, and the flashlights attached to our omniframes. You hear a screech on the left side of your headset, a pew pew on the right side. The player to your left just died. A flash of movement to the right side of your screen. BAM you ded.

TL;DR Invasions are a great idea, count tf me in.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
i would like to see is an air invasion of some kind where higher elevated bases would have to be more vigilante as they can be targeted easier. The enemies of air units can drop a device or creature that causes damage to the roof creating a hole for enemies to drop in or to take over defenses situated on the roof specifically.

There are others like moles that dig under the base to get inside if the foundation is weak it is made that much easier but if the foundation is reinforced and has shielding it wouldn't be an issue unless there is a higher tier kaiju then its just a matter of time until its integrity gives.

Bikes could be a potential support vehicle to bring out injured npc's or fellow team mates out when this occurs
Or you could just ride it off a cliff and hope you bash one of the air units or damage them with a slice while the rider hits the boost and the passenger takes out his blade maybe i don't know hmm but i'd certainly like that :D

Jul 16, 2017
steamcommunity.com
i would like to see is an air invasion of some kind where higher elevated bases would have to be more vigilante as they can be targeted easier. The enemies of air units can drop a device or creature that causes damage to the roof creating a hole for enemies to drop in or to take over defenses situated on the roof specifically.

There are others like moles that dig under the base to get inside if the foundation is weak it is made that much easier but if the foundation is reinforced and has shielding it wouldn't be an issue unless there is a higher tier kaiju then its just a matter of time until its integrity gives.

Bikes could be a potential support vehicle to bring out injured npc's or fellow team mates out when this occurs
Or you could just ride it off a cliff and hope you bash one of the air units or damage them with a slice while the rider hits the boost and the passenger takes out his blade maybe i don't know hmm but i'd certainly like that :D
^ WHAT A GOOD IDEA DUDE. AERIAL INVASIONS.

This next part is just my imagination running wild, but picture it: a plane could be flying over an area infested with Tsi-hu and their base is elevated high up. Zoooooom. The back of the plane opens and you hear "Kssh. Beep. Time for drop off. Go, go. go!" And a bunch of omniframes hop out and your parachute pops out or gliders pop out from your back and you just bombard the enemies from the air. Maybe throw some consumable bombs. The ground support emerges from the forest on their support vehicles. One player driving the vehicle and running into creatures on the ground while another player in the passenger side goes crazy. POW POW POW.

Excuse me for being actual Voltron trash.

Last edited:

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Thanks this is great add to it with the part that you mentioned "go go go" air support incoming alert on the screen and even bikes on it if the craft is flown low enough can be dropped in alot faster. For those needing a more carefully planned tactic could be dropped off from further away especially on recon missions and bikes are sexy just as sexy as mechs unless it was a mech transforming bike then it would be the sexiest of all just my thought on it though :D

Wonder if the craft could be controlled some way with set commands like low altitude settings, high altitude and target zone where you want to drop them off. Then what if you wanted to drop 1 in one zone and another in another could there be a way of managing grouped up smaller teams instead of dropping them all hmm.

Oooh wow and then there is the vision of large scale air platoons i dribbles i hear the Valkyrie music playing in the background and some one in their mech strangely humming to it quite badly while munching on some food. There could be a great synchronized battle taking over more than 1 zone at once in a great effort each with their very own skill set some to hack some to go fully offensive and others as the shields all playing a part in saving what is left and saving the innocent npc's stranded!

There will be pow pow pew pew pow and explosions these dream thoughts are great i'd like more folks putting it out there dreams to tell theirs for the dreams combined that formulates into the ultimate DREAM!

PIghead Elderberry

Kaiju Slayer
JUMBO KAIJU SLAYER
Jun 4, 2017
CA USA
I think they should have different strategies, or leader AIs if you will.

Like one attack may be lead by an enemy that has lots of machinery/tech/buildings. He moves around with a squad of engineers and elite guards that will set up artillery instilations and such to attack the player bases from long range. There will of coarse be other enemies constantly running in to attack the base so that it keeps the players from all just rushing out to him. Perhaps have more than one of these guys in this attack, or one leader and multiple of his squads, but the squad he leads can build a second artillery unit or some extra local defensive turrets to keep players at bay.

Another one could be one that tames kaiju, he focuses on throwing lots of kaiju at you in giant waves with some massive types in there to just smash through the players base.

Another one might be an event where lots of enemies, though mostly weak, just start spawning in massive numbers and swarm across the map in the hundreds after the nearest target. If you were around when Sunken Harbor had invasions way back in Firefall, and experienced one of those ones that would bug so the melding would take Sunken Harbor but the Chosen were still all spawning from it then you know what I'm talking about. Awesome memories with my brother playing then, server was so laggy but it was just awesome with like 200 chosen spread out in the forrest in front of a watchtower trying to move up and take it, and this was after like two hours of intensive fighting having slowly lost all the other ones up till as we were pushed back. Massive constant waves of basic enemies is sure, simple, but if taken to the extreme for long enough it does have its own unique experience that if it only happens occasionally can be really awesome.

Another type could be a stealthy assasin leader. Once again you have some normal enemies running in to attack the main target base, and a greater enemy activity on other areas to keep players tied down a bit. But the main leader and his escort squads have stealth, and can "teleport" while stealthed as long as its not right next to a player. If they get close to a player (or take damage) they start to be visible. So you could be sitting AFK inside a base, and one of these guys just shows up out of nowhere and walks up and backstabs you, you can defend the main front walls bu they can get inside the base and hit the generators and such behind you if you dont keep guarding everywhere. This type of enemy can really spice things up, since you don't know where they will show up from, and each one is like a mini boss.

As far as your idea of one that has enemies that can hack or infect buildings and stuff. Maybe make it so they fire little bio parasites that will start to grow and infest buildings (they use biotech, so like a tamer variation of zerg on your buildings and stuff). Maybe make it so they "cast" it by releasing it into the area around them, and then once the pool of bio stuff gets big enough it will be released and it will move across the terrain (up cliffs/walls/whatever, like a weird moving creep layer) to a target building/area and begin infesting it. Something like this could let the casters both stay out of site so you cant just snipe them from the target area, but also let you still see where they are by following back the path of these big stains moving across the ground.
All of the above!