Base Building Ideas

Xenmai

Deepscanner
Jun 19, 2017
Hi there guys. Today I'd like to explain some ideas I have regarding the construction of player bases and its structures. Please note these are only ideas, so feel free to discuss them and add your own.
  • Steel Wall: Basic structural wall. Has decent resistance and can be used to hold ceilings and floors.
  • Steel Wall Corner: Same as above but in corner shape. Can be used to link 2 perpendicular walls.
  • Shield Screen: Energy wall that lets players through while protecting them against enemy fire. Has decent resistance, but can be disabled if its power source is destroyed. Could be of different fancy colors.
  • Spiked Wall: Defensive wall suitable for the outer layer of the base. Returns some damage to melee attackers as well as slowing down Kaijus.
  • Reactor: Main energy source. A couple of these are needed in order to supply power to the other base components, such as crafting units, communication centers, terraforming units and shield screens.
  • Communication Center: Alerts nearby players when a drone detects an incoming attack.
  • Sentinel Drone: These autonomous flying robots are crafted and deployed by players. They guard or patrol a zone and alert nearby communication centers when they spot an enemy. Then they rapidly flee to safety.
  • Fighter Drone: Same as above, except they stay and fight instead of running away. They can be equipped with a variety of weapons. Could also follow the player if told to do so.
  • Mounted Weapon: Turret like structure that can be controlled by the player, providing assistance in combat. They can be equipped with a variety of weapons. (I believe high power automatic defenses could drain some fun from the game, so drones and THMPRs are probably enough)
  • Processing and Crafting Units: Used by players to turn their materials into weapons, modules (abilities) and base structures and defenses.
  • Terraforming Unit: Core part of any new base. Creates an habitable socket in a zone around it. Can be upgraded in order to increase the radius. (Needs a better and cooler name)
  • Omniframe Pad: Where called Omniframes land. Probably the first place you want to visit if you've been ejected from your suit in combat and have made it back to base alive.
  • Transportation Pad: Where vehicles that transport players between bases land.
These are all I can think of right now. WHat do you think? Will be great yo read your suggestions, opinions and new ideas.

Have a great day you all!

Last edited:

PIghead Elderberry

Kaiju Slayer
JUMBO KAIJU SLAYER
Jun 4, 2017
CA USA
I am not sure if we build at that level of detail. It sounded to me from the docs and Chief Chats that it is more like the old 2.5D games where you got resources to build a type of building and then it sort of sprang up from the ground and built itself.

I know that we will have Kaiju rampaging about smashing our destructible buildings, and it probably makes sense if they are prefabs and go up quickly vs. us making them piece by piece or we'll die of an angry rage when they get smashed.

If they are often getting smashed by giant Kaiju, we'll need a balance with that by ease up creation.

That is my impression. It is a combat game and the base "building" is less detailed than a piece by piece, wall by wall type of building.

However, I do not know.

It would be that we do not build the actual buildings piece by piece, but we do build and placed defenses around to protect them along the lines of what you suggest.

So we might have the ability to place barrier walls, turrets, terraform ditches, who knows what.

We need a little dev feedbak here, I think.

What player control is there over the 'base building' other than contributing resources to some community pot?

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
I, too, agree with the pre-fabricated bases. Quick and easy provided we have the resources. My opinion would be along the lines of like three basic fortifications that hold the refinery and other structures. But as the game continues to be successful and the team grows, I see there being more options opening up down the road for defensive load outs that allow for customization.

I'm thinking bases that could pretty much be the same structure but with more hard points on it to set up artillery or heavy turrets. Ballistics or energy defenses would already be in play. Say you want to go less defenses and more spawn points for vehicles instead. Things of that nature are far smaller of a scale to design and code than to have a dozen different bases.

Ultimately keep this in mind. The community voice has had a major impact in the progress of this project. Keep funding milestones = keep getting more content.

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
AS PER GRUMMZIFERIAN DEFINITION:

BUILDINGS ARE PREDEFINED.
THERE ARE VARIOUS FOUNDATION WHERE YOU CAN BUILD A BASE OR OUTPOST OR SOON TO GET REKT SETTLEMENT.

FROM THERE WE CAN CHOOSE WHAT TYPE OF BUILDING WE WANT TO BUILD IN THAT CORNER.
BE IT A RADAR STATION, MEDIC BAY, OR A COTTAGE WHERE YOU CAN COMFORTABLY SH*T IN PEACE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE MARKET PLACE.

WHEN THAT SETTLEMENT-NEED-YOUR-HELP IS DONE.
WE GOT VARIOUS OPTION LIKE EXTENSION, MAKE IT BIGGER, FORTIFICATION OR ADD ADDITIONAL PROTECTION.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
So we might have the ability to place barrier walls, turrets, terraform ditches, who knows what.
Ditches i like with some traps to place or fill up with something so they are slowed down by some gel like substance or just a place to hide and prepare to engage.

Just my thought here but with building construction could it be possible to have various strength materials, walls and such so if something needs to be made quick it could be deployed and perhaps help to slow down the aliens buying some time? It might not be much but its better than having nothing if was needed as an option. However as a result of the fast construction it would not be as strong as the usual construction methods.

With heavy stronger construction would take much longer but be more durable to recieve hits than the other types available.

I certainly like the look of energy shields but if the power source is targeted could render them useless and are very nice looking especially at night!!! :cool:

PIghead Elderberry

Kaiju Slayer
JUMBO KAIJU SLAYER
Jun 4, 2017
CA USA
I like the idea of the night energy shield visuals!

I can imagine fighting at night and seeing the big base or building shields start out nice and bright and then begin to flicker, spark, and fade of fizzle as they get bombarded and beaten upon or the generator gets smashed by infiltrating ground Tsi-He grunts.

I can also see that as a wonderful visual marker for a battle from afar.

Imagine you are out thumping, and hear or see overhead some derpships or players flying overhead all in the same direction. You turn, you look. You see in the distance the fickering base shield and the fire and plasma of the battle. You instantly know from the flickering sparking shield lighting up the night sky that the base is in need of your help.

You stop your thumping, and you and your thumper race back the help out in the battle...

There is nothing like night combat like this!

Shirokumo

Mar 11, 2017
Base building general I find very interesting especially for for gilden / clans !.

On the topic of basic construction and special other things with routines with the craften and guilds, clans solte one special later again come back on it !.

PIghead Elderberry

Kaiju Slayer
JUMBO KAIJU SLAYER
Jun 4, 2017
CA USA
NEW MINI-EVENT

BASE BUILDING IN THE SKY - WITH LAND SPACE PREP BELOW

Folks are discussing this now on Discord with Grummz - the idea that players can build up parts of a base (like a building unit) up on some kind of sky platform, while players on the ground secure ?and/or terraform? a space for the new building to land and then when all is clear the completed building can be brought down to the secured and cleared spot.

The idea is that it becomes a mini-event in and of itself for the game.

That way, for folks who like construction and base building, they can do it free and clear on the sky platform, and the the pre-build base component can be brought down at a time when the ground area is ready.

The event is the clearing and combat to make the landing spot safe for the new building.

The act of making the ground spot clear and level could itself cause the rising up an appearance of Tsi-He.

MINI-EVENT MECHANICS

1) Base builder folks build up the base component(s) on a sky platform
- players can in during this phase of the process gather and supply the builders with resources for that

2) The base component is ready
- a call to players goes out that a base component it ready to be 'landed'

3) The base landing spot must be cleared
- clearing the landing spot and "laying foundation piers" or whatnot causes Tsi-Hu to be stirred up
- combat ensues
- bigger the area to be prepare, the bigger the combat

4) Combat ends - the base area is cleared (or not)
- the base building component lands down on the "landing foundation"

PIghead Elderberry

Kaiju Slayer
JUMBO KAIJU SLAYER
Jun 4, 2017
CA USA
MINI-MINI EVENT

An outhouse is required (or a small turret).

2-3 player event, happens in a really short time frame from start to finish

NORMAL MINI-EVENT

A new barracks addition

5-10 player event, a day of prep maybe or hours getting resources and building it

A short combat sequence... done all in a day or many hours in a day

GRAND MINI-EVENT

A huge new refinery is required

50+ players

It takes days to get resources and to build the full refinery building on the sky platform

It is an epic battle to clear the space taking hours

The refiner lands!

Sep 1, 2016
since as stated above, buildings are gonna be predefined makes us wonder how actual base building will be like
will it be like pick and place predefined parts puzzle(put turret here blah blah) or a fetch type like in amazon

I like the clearing and combat to make the landing spot safe for the new building.

base building as a whole is a nice idea because it goes well with terraforming, claiming territories and thumping

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
don' t forget elevators in the building the ones with good music is a good addition imagine cafe music playing while the red lights flash inside the elevator warning that there is breach or hostiles are inside the base. The music can be changed to opera and other styles depending on the builders choice!

Shirokumo

Mar 11, 2017
since as stated above, buildings are gonna be predefined makes us wonder how actual base building will be like
will it be like pick and place predefined parts puzzle(put turret here blah blah) or a fetch type like in amazon

I like the clearing and combat to make the landing spot safe for the new building.

base building as a whole is a nice idea because it goes well with terraforming, claiming territories and thumping
I am the opinion that basic build of the building should be my opinion as I have read it so a kind as helo be basic?

Shirokumo

Mar 11, 2017
Basic to land is the first and with the game offical appear !.

Everything else like:

1.) Basic to build air
2.) Basic to build it water
3.) Special Water Omniframes
4.) Special air-Omniframes

Will we come with coming add ons!.

Jul 27, 2016
I highly doubt we'll be dealing with underwater things here. Our Omniframes by definition can fly, but it's going to be up to us to utilize that within limits, not have dedicated air-combat-only Omniframes. They're called Omniframes because they're versatile, jacks of all trades, masters of none.

Shirokumo

Mar 11, 2017
I highly doubt we'll be dealing with underwater things here. Our Omniframes by definition can fly, but it's going to be up to us to utilize that within limits, not have dedicated air-combat-only Omniframes. They're called Omniframes because they're versatile, jacks of all trades, masters of none.
Omniframes = Frames = parameters

The standard frame classes for the start of the game are:

1.) Standard Omniframe
2.) Heavy Omniframe
3.) Light Omniframe

Who we now for later game extensions new frames the special in the fight on water / air are specialized !.
We have more advantages !.

1.) Only water frames can use their skills in the water and thanks to their specialization can move with 100% performance in combat !.
That means we have in the water only 1 frame class where all are equal because there is only 1 frame quasi balanced, because all the same frame have all the same conditions !.
This also offers itself for new players with the game new to catch and to the game to make itself !.

The same him this kind also for the air-frame and also the water basic has special buildings which can be only underwater gebaud and also to increase the use special buildings which are only underwater!

Jul 27, 2016
Omniframes = Frames = parameters

The standard frame classes for the start of the game are:

1.) Standard Omniframe
2.) Heavy Omniframe
3.) Light Omniframe

Who we now for later game extensions new frames the special in the fight on water / air are specialized !.
We have more advantages !.

1.) Only water frames can use their skills in the water and thanks to their specialization can move with 100% performance in combat !.
That means we have in the water only 1 frame class where all are equal because there is only 1 frame quasi balanced, because all the same frame have all the same conditions !.
This also offers itself for new players with the game new to catch and to the game to make itself !.

The same him this kind also for the air-frame and also the water basic has special buildings which can be only underwater gebaud and also to increase the use special buildings which are only underwater!

Multiple things.

The classifications of Omniframes(Light, Medium, Heavy) refers to their size. Not what they're designed for. A light frame could be played as a tank. Suboptimal, yes, but it could be done. A heavy could be played as an assassin. Not a good one, but it could be done. Also, all of our frames can glide and fly by default. We have no need for airframes.

Water was used as a wall against players in Firefall. I expect the same here. We're wearing giant suits that are powered by electricity. I'd rather not get electrocuted. Lore-wise, our enemies won't be underwater, neither should we. In Firefall, the Chosen could have gone underwater but didn't, as such, we didn't develop aquatic frames.

The game is not going to be marketed to people who want to play underwater, especially not how you're phrasing it. I'm not playing a game so I can craft one thing to enjoy one mode that, as you stated, has fewer gameplay options than the rest of the game. There are no reasons for underwater buildings.

There are also no reasons for airborne buildings. At our current tech level we're better off making spacecraft, because at least those can move when some uppity Kaiju tries to take a swing at them.

luigisnipes

Firstclaimer
Aug 23, 2016
I am not sure if we build at that level of detail. It sounded to me from the docs and Chief Chats that it is more like the old 2.5D games where you got resources to build a type of building and then it sort of sprang up from the ground and built itself.

I know that we will have Kaiju rampaging about smashing our destructible buildings, and it probably makes sense if they are prefabs and go up quickly vs. us making them piece by piece or we'll die of an angry rage when they get smashed.

If they are often getting smashed by giant Kaiju, we'll need a balance with that by ease up creation.

That is my impression. It is a combat game and the base "building" is less detailed than a piece by piece, wall by wall type of building.

However, I do not know.

It would be that we do not build the actual buildings piece by piece, but we do build and placed defenses around to protect them along the lines of what you suggest.

We need a little dev feedbak here, I think.

What player control is there over the 'base building' other than contributing resources to some community pot?
I think base building is like the more we input in the base it reflects in the structure like the more people do missions or help around the base it has a pre fab wall or unit of a structure added to the base. Maybe the base is not a structure it self.. i missed all chief chat so i dont know much.. i didnt read all reply a
Either its 2am i hate reading ish

Jul 28, 2016
spiralofhope.com
Ditches i like with some traps to place or fill up with something so they are slowed down by some gel like substance or just a place to hide and prepare to engage.
Filled with players with big guns.

Or not even that. We're the most aggressive badasses around. We don't need none of these defenses. We form ranks, rush in and blow them apart. That's the game.