HUD and UI Options Thread

PIghead Elderberry

Kaiju Slayer
JUMBO KAIJU SLAYER
Jun 4, 2017
CA USA
I like to play with as minimal HUD/UI as possible and still be able to play...

Some folks like to play with their screens full of HUD and UI elements so much that they only have a peep view of the world out there...

Some play with no HUD/UI at all and still manage to play...

Right now when the game has as yet not even a single element of UI or HUD seems the perfect time to discuss what sorts of HUD/UI elements we want on screen or not.

I would request that as the game goes along at a minimum we have a console command to turn off HUD/UI elements if we want, and ideally it is integrated into the options menu.

I am looking, for example, at recent release of Ghost Warrior where they actually added in as part of a patch after the game launched the ability to turn of HUD elements individually to let players play how they want to play. You can even turn off crosshairs for weapons there, as well as turn off health bars etc.

Original FF did this a little bit, as when they let us turn off the health bars over everything.

I appreciated that very much, for example, in early FF.

I would much prefer to see my damage manifested as visually and/or physics based destruction of what I shot than just watch a little red bar get nibbled down. Nibbling down red health bars makes all combat with all enemies seem the same - just watching the bars go down... That's a great HUD/UI choice to have as on/off. Sometimes you may want it, sometimes you may not...

Jag

Kaiju Slayer
Kaiju Slayer
Mar 18, 2017
Personally what was put in place in early Firefall was perfect for me. Should be kept like that (scale and size wise)

I have mentioned in the other thread how much I liked the extant to which we were allowed to customize our HUD in Firefall. Apart from turning elements of the HUD on or off, re-positioning them should also be available. For example, I quite liked that I could easily keep track of my HP and Jet-Energy, because of the way they were positioned in the center of the screen, around the cross-hair, in sort of circle, with their opacity reduced to not be obtrusive. Same as with the customization of the chat-window and its font-size, the position of warning messages, prompts and pop-ups for picked-up items.

While I'm more used to seeing health-bars on things, I would like to experience how it would look if damage was represented by physics-based destruction. Chunks of armor coming off, building debris flying, blood flowing from gaping wounds on Kaijus, if not on smaller, humanoid enemies. Stages of damage could be represented more simply for smaller enemies, simply because of their size and how much we would strain our eyes to see in the middle of combat, anyway. In their case it feels less important. But seeing large enemies and/or buildings being taken apart and the different stages of damage done to them is more important for immersion. Or you know, one shoulder-pad/thigh-plate/arm/leg at a time.