gender based mecha

TankHunter678

Jul 26, 2016
I don't remember them being sentient. I might have to rewatch it, I clearly forgot things about the show.
The most obvious, and active, one is the 1st core that is used in Ichika's frame. That core was also used by Chifuyu when she masqueraded as the White Knight, and if you watch the OVAs is in contact with the IS Core that was in Chifuyu's official IS that functions as the core of the IS School's network. White Knight was the one that healed Ichika at the end of the first season and activated the 2nd powerup.

There is also the Human-Type IS subordinate that the genius inventor has helping her. She showed up during the OVA and was the one to hack the IS School's network in order to deliver a tunneling program at the core. She did try to take on Chifuyu but... even if one can warp reality to a degree Chifuyu just always knows precisely where to stab to fix that problem.

Jul 26, 2016
Hmm... now I kind of want to know where the no feet thing came from.
maybe it's grounded in reality. Quite a few people making walking robots have dropped feet for peg legs because it's apparently faster movement than feet. I guess the problem is that foot design is just as hard as creating robots that can walk and run.

Aug 14, 2016
can you elaborate what the zones are i am curious
I'm going to guess head, shoulders, knees, and toes. Lol, sorry I couldn't help myself, I know small children.

But my real guess is head, shoulders, chest, arms, back, wings, legs, and feet.

Hmm... given that some of mecha that have no feet sometimes have the legs end in a spike or blade meleeing with kicking moves should be an option with them. There are a number of fighting styles that rely heavily on kicking, where you don't need to use your hands much. For example, Savate a French word for "old shoe". Savate is one of the few styles of kickboxing in which the fighters habitually wear shoes. A male practitioner of savate is called a tireur while a female is called a tireuse.

Biz

Kaiju Slayer
Kaiju Slayer
Jul 30, 2016
From what little concept art I have seen the omniframes are taking the concept of exosuit but making it literally an exo-frame with a fully visible and unarmored pilot. Pilots are already gendered enough, that said you Would need to have different dimensions and proportions on the frame of male and female pilots, hips and shoulder widths, body size differences and all that. If someone really wanted, they could have hot-pink camo pattern under teddybear decals, there is not much hiding in what is essentially a bipedal tank, so you might as be as visible as possible and hope your foes will stand paralysed, soiling themselves from fear of your awesomely customized frame that signals little regard for personal, or anyone else's, safety.

Does not explain why frames take a less obvious direction when it comes to preservation of the pilot. While the "armor is heavy and transparent shields are cool" might fly, it would make more sense to not cloth pilots in what is essentially cardboard and then hope shields will stop everything. Open frames Worked for power loader in Aliens when it was literally a bipedal forklift, you are not meant to be shot at inside one of those. Looked cool but was highly impractical in Matrix 3 - as unarmored pilots were sliced up as soon as squids got into melee range.

TankHunter678

Jul 26, 2016
Does not explain why frames take a less obvious direction when it comes to preservation of the pilot. While the "armor is heavy and transparent shields are cool" might fly, it would make more sense to not cloth pilots in what is essentially cardboard and then hope shields will stop everything. Open frames Worked for power loader in Aliens when it was literally a bipedal forklift, you are not meant to be shot at inside one of those. Looked cool but was highly impractical in Matrix 3 - as unarmored pilots were sliced up as soon as squids got into melee range.
Yeah complaints about that were often said (especially from me, and my friends agreed with me) which is the Hard Driver Mode was added on later. Letting us encase the pilot in a layer of armor.

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Here is the thing, in the age old fight between defense and offense, offense tends to always win in the end. We used clubs and spears, so we built armor to protect against that. We then built swords to pierce that armor, so the armor became thicker. Guns took care of that so eventually we built tanks. Anti tank guns took those out. Well you get the point.

Hundreds of years from now there may BE no armor that can stand up against futuristic weaponry. Shields may be the next "solution" in the never ending struggle between offense and defense. So if armor means squat and shields are the only real protection in the future, then it stands to reason that engineers wouldn't bother overengineering our mech's with a fully encased metal armor. It may also explain why the hard driver mode will have no statistical difference, because all that extra encasing is not really any protection at all.

...That's just my theorycrafting based on how the game seems to be heading.

Aug 14, 2016
Here is the thing, in the age old fight between defense and offense, offense tends to always win in the end. We used clubs and spears, so we built armor to protect against that. We then built swords to pierce that armor, so the armor became thicker. Guns took care of that so eventually we built tanks. Anti tank guns took those out. Well you get the point.

Hundreds of years from now there may BE no armor that can stand up against futuristic weaponry. Shields may be the next "solution" in the never ending struggle between offense and defense. So if armor means squat and shields are the only real protection in the future, then it stands to reason that engineers wouldn't bother overengineering our mech's with a fully encased metal armor. It may also explain why the hard driver mode will have no statistical difference, because all that extra encasing is not really any protection at all.

Well, also when you are fighting things that mostly use energy weapons and energy based attacks things like ray shielding is your best option as most other things will be destroyed by them or turn the armor against you.

For example, let's say you are in a massive tank but none of my solid weapons can damage it. If I know what type of metal and stuff the armor is made out of I can use that against you. By sending out a small beam of radiation that does no damage to the tank itself but would kill everything inside the tank. This is because things like metal are kind of bad at blocking radiation damage on their own, many types metal (even lead) will absorb the radiation on side and can amplify it on the other side. This is part of the reason why NASA doesn't want to send people to places like Mars yet. Because once they leave the Earth's magnetic field they will get the full effect of things like the solar wind and other cosmic rays. Oddly things like water are better at blocking radiation than metal but water is also heavy and takes up a lot of space.

As some of you know, I'm a fire style fighter (I focus only on attacks and never try to block) and one of the rules of law we fire types live by is "There is no such thing as a perfect defense. Everything can be broken or bypassed in some way." Everything is strong to something and weak to something else. Your jobs as a warrior is to find out that that thing is. Hell, you can even evaporate diamonds with a magnifying lens and sunlight, this because even diamonds burn as they are still made of carbon. Plus, you can shatter diamonds if you hit them in the right spot, you just have the know the right angle of attack.

Last edited:

TankHunter678

Jul 26, 2016

And shields lead to weaponry designed to bypass/disrupt it, which in turn leads to defenses underneath the shields to prevent pilots from dying because when you are on a far away frontier world nothing is more important then the lives of your pilots, if only to save money on trying to replace them.

Further, since so many of the worlds they had found had non-sentient life the majority of creatures they fight are of a physical nature. If the shields go down an armor layer still keeps the pilot alive so that the shields can recharge. Without the armor layer the moment the shields drop is the moment that the pilot gets impaled/their guts ripped out/crushed and now you got to spend money to replace that casualty.

The reason why HDM does not affect stats is because our overall defense mechanically as far as gameplay is concerned acts as if it is always there. Even when the player would rather see their character instead of them being encased in the armor layer.

Just ask the Israeli military just how important their tank crews are. They only happen to make some of the toughest tanks in the world with the best crew safety on the planet.

It is also the reason why all mech design uses fully encased armor designs even when they have energy shields.

Also I want to point this out:

Swords were made to lacerate targets to induce death by heavy bleeding across a large area (and having a cheap short range weapon, spears were poor at close combat since the majority of spears were long spears for impaling cavalry or making use of a phalanx wall) leading to the creation of armor to prevent that, leading to advances in spear design to pierce that armor (since heavy armor was generally worn by knights who were used as heavy cavalry), as well as improvements to clubs by turning them into maces to dent the heavier armors as an alternative to impair the person wearing the armor by restricting their ability to move/breathe.

Majority of sword design then became either usability/flexibility to slip through the gaps in armor or to use their weight to bludgeon, denting the armor layer and breaking bone. Any edge they have was to help cut through flesh.

Aug 14, 2016
And shields lead to weaponry designed to bypass/disrupt it, which in turn leads to defenses underneath the shields to prevent pilots from dying because when you are on a far away frontier world nothing is more important then the lives of your pilots, if only to save money on trying to replace them.

Further, since so many of the worlds they had found had non-sentient life the majority of creatures they fight are of a physical nature. If the shields go down an armor layer still keeps the pilot alive so that the shields can recharge. Without the armor layer the moment the shields drop is the moment that the pilot gets impaled/their guts ripped out/crushed and now you got to spend money to replace that casualty.

The reason why HDM does not affect stats is because our overall defense mechanically as far as gameplay is concerned acts as if it is always there. Even when the player would rather see their character instead of them being encased in the armor layer.

Just ask the Israeli military just how important their tank crews are. They only happen to make some of the toughest tanks in the world with the best crew safety on the planet.

It is also the reason why all mech design uses fully encased armor designs even when they have energy shields.

Also I want to point this out:

Swords were made to lacerate targets to induce death by heavy bleeding across a large area (and having a cheap short range weapon, spears were poor at close combat since the majority of spears were long spears for impaling cavalry or making use of a phalanx wall) leading to the creation of armor to prevent that, leading to advances in spear design to pierce that armor (since heavy armor was generally worn by knights who were used as heavy cavalry), as well as improvements to clubs by turning them into maces to dent the heavier armors as an alternative to impair the person wearing the armor by restricting their ability to move/breathe.

Majority of sword design then became either usability/flexibility to slip through the gaps in armor or to use their weight to bludgeon, denting the armor layer and breaking bone. Any edge they have was to help cut through flesh.
Not counting that the shape of the blade also helps. Straight blades are better for thrusting and stabbing because force and mass of the blade is angled in one direction. Curved blades are better for hacking and slashing because the curvature of the blade focuses force of the swing onto a small area for greater effect. Blades with a concave curve cutting edge also have the advantage of do to their shape when you use them stab something they naturally want to cut their own path back out. Also where the mass of the blade is focused also tells you how the blade is meant to be used. If the balance point (the place where the mass of the blade is even) is near where your hand goes it is designed to have better control than normal and is also better at thrusting as you can more easily line out the blade with your target. If the balance point is near the tip of the blade it is designed for slashing and chopping they are best using in arching or looping movements to allow them to their mass to aid in gathering speed and momentum to aid more force into what it hits. Blades where balance point near the middle of the blade is a general use blade that can be used for slashing and thrusting but it'll never be as good at it as the blades specialized for one or the other.

Lol, some of us on this forums know way too much about real life warfare and the science of combat. And yes, for the people who never been in fights in real life before, combat is both an art and a science. It is not just mindless shooting or swing a weapon around.

Masculine: Agricultural, heavy, modular, mechanical.

Feminine:Biological, slipstreamed, bespoke, fluid.

Personally, like in FF having paints that colored the suit made it also different again; I personally think it should be asexual than be gender specific and designed around the role of the player/suit type.

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
This just kind of a joke thread because I'm board. But what are your thoughts on mecha with a clear gender and that to their advantage?

For example, one of the oldest most famous of things of this nature are the oppai missiles or breast missiles some mecha who are modeled after the female form have. The logic being that breast of the mecha can be used for extra weapons or extra storage. I even remember one example where they stored that the mecha who are modeled after females can fight for a longer time than the mecha modeled after males because they extra engines or fuel tanks in their chest.
JUST IN CASE, YOU PUSSIES TAKE THIS SH*T TOO SERIOUSLY

Aug 14, 2016
JUST IN CASE, YOU PUSSIES TAKE THIS SH*T TOO SERIOUSLY
Do not watch this if you are easily offended, this just a joke about things like sexism and sexuality.

Anyway, like I said before if the mecha has and A.I. or a mind of its own some people, myself included, will by default call the mecha based on the gender of that A.I. or consciousness. If the A.I. or consciousness doesn't have a gender than it goes by the design and or feel of the mecha itself.

Even unisexed things can give off a feeling to people who operate them. In fact, when designing things like cars that is part of the goal. Different car models are designed to invoke different thoughts and feeling of the people who see it subconsciously. This why people who do have a habit of naming things like their vehicles or tools name them based on the feel they get from them. The designers of cars want to think of women when you look at them and some models want you to think of men when you look at them, this all part of the subliminal messaging inherent in the design itself. And mecha is no different, even if the design is said to be genderless or unisex the operators of those can still pick up on subconscious cues, attended or accidental, to form the image of the mecha being male or female.

Psychology is fun.

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
Do not watch this if you are easily offended, this just a joke about things
ME OFFENDED!? DO I LOOK LIKE A PUSSY?

I JUST POSTED THAT AS A REMINDER FOR THE OTHERS... BOOHUHUHUHU

APART OF THAT, I NEVER UNDERSTOOD WHY SHIPS HAS FEMALE NAME OR SAY "SHE" TO BOATS. THEY ALL LOOK MALE TO ME.

Aug 14, 2016
ME OFFENDED!? DO I LOOK LIKE A PUSSY?

I JUST POSTED THAT AS A REMINDER FOR THE OTHERS... BOOHUHUHUHU

APART OF THAT, I NEVER UNDERSTOOD WHY SHIPS HAS FEMALE NAME OR SAY "SHE" TO BOATS. THEY ALL LOOK MALE TO ME.
I'm not sure, but that it is due to a number of things. One of them being that in some culture the sea is often viewed as feminine in nature, in much the same as things like moon or Earth itself is viewed as feminine. This can also be traced back things like gods and myths, and part of the reason why we still to this say things like "mother earth" and "father time". This varies from culture to culture but ones that are mostly widespread are the ones most commonly used. So even ships that named after men are often talked to and about with a feminine nature.

It is because of things like this that is partly the root of things like the ship girls idea, where people draw things like ships and aircraft as if they war human females. Case and point, things like Kantai Collection and Strike Witches where different models of ships and aircraft or even just specific famous ones are represented as human or humanoid females.

Does this explain Asto boy's gun in his butt?
I have no idea where that idea came from. Personally, I thought it was just a cultural things having to do with a few myths but I never really thought about it or looked into it. I am aware of myths of things like the kappa from Japanese mythology that was said to try and steal people's soul by pulling or sucking it out of their butts and one of the ways you can protect yourself from a kappa is by farting on them (no joke the myth really does state that). So having guns in your butt to protect you from things like that would make sense in an odd cultural reference way. But again I'm just guessing here.

Aug 14, 2016
Here are two questions related to the topic although they are more general as they are something that everyone deals with in everyday life but might not think about unless they work in manufacturing or trade skills like electrician and mechanic.

Do you view your cell phone or laptop as female?
How about your external storage devices, do you think of them as male?

You might think that what I just asked is odd but it does make sense if you realized why some people think of such things in that way. You see in the electrical and mechanical trades and manufacturing, each half of a pair of mating connectors or fasteners is conventionally assigned the designation male or female. The "female" connector is generally a receptacle that receives and holds the "male" connector. In other words, if it plugs into something (like the power cord to a lamp) than it is male and if something plugs into it (like the wall outlet in your house) than it is female. Because things like cell phones and laptops can only have other objects plug into them they are viewed as female devices. Things like connector cables come in many combinations going by what they are designed for, but each end of the connector is always male or female. For example, a single cord can be male-male, female-female, or male-female.

Anyway, while I was talking about advanced A.I.s with friends. We talked about what if an A.I. had an existential crisis and such. And somehow we got onto the topic of gender identity in A.I.s and could an A.I. that was programmed to be one gender view and identify itself as being the other gender? Which then later broke down more into gender doesn't really mean anything outside of the various cultures and social groups that people are in based on the expectations of a type of person behaving in by some set guildless which in truth can be arbitrary most of the time. This video helps explain how some of us view gender.

edit for grammar.

Last edited: