Let's talk Abilities

What would you like to see?

• Yes the T.h.m.p.r should have abilities.

Votes: 18 52.9%
  • No the T.h.m.p.r should not have abilities.

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • Yes the play characters should have abilities.

Votes: 32 94.1%
  • No the players characters should not have abilities.

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

EricAZ4

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Alberta, Canada
So let's be creative and think of some cool ability's to work with the MEK A,
Or Omniframes
Also do passove ability have a role in ember?

Last edited:

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
well, MEK A are the thmpr

Shld Drm (shield dome), to help us to defend it better
Drll övrchrge (Drill overcharge), to speed up drilling
stmpr (hahaha stmpr, get it? thmpr stmper! SHUT UP ALREADY), stomp the ground send a shockwave to bush back Rabbits
slf dstrct (Self destruct), if all fails..... EXPLOSION!!

Last edited:

EricAZ4

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Alberta, Canada
well, MEK A are the thmpr

Shld Drm (shield dome), to help us to defend it better
Drll övrchrge (Drill overcharge), to speed up drilling
stmpr (hahaha stmpr, get it? thmpr stmper! SHUT UP ALREADY), stomp the ground send a shockwave to bush back Rabbits
slf dstrct (Self destruct), if all fails..... EXPLOSION!!
Well I accidentally said MEK A when I ment Omniframes what ever (;
That is some really cool ideas to upgrade our T.H.M.P.R and not just in size,
Also you there MUST Be some EXPLOSIONS

TankHunter678

Jul 26, 2016
I have a hard time coming up with abilities for the Omniframe (besides soaring afterburner/Overboost) because of how mecha it is. Mechas just beg for more weapon systems, not so much abilities.

Harven

Commander
Jul 28, 2016
Omniframe :

Separation: The human form of the character leaves the Omniframe to coordinate an attack with his Omniframe. The Omniframe brutally targets an enemy and attacks it with melee attacks, while the human form of the character will have a gun given to defend himself.
Pros: Omniframe will have increased damage.
Omniframe will have increased speed.
Double damage, as the player will also have a powerful gun.

Cons: Increased damage at the cost of player's vulnerability. The player wont have pretty much any defense, leaving him open to any attacks, these attacks dealing twice the damage.

Self Destruct: The Player leaves the Omniframe to make it self destruct on a given location, Dealing extreme damage. The Omniframe will then autorepair, and run back to take the player automatically inside him. This process takes a few seconds.

Pros: Extreme, AoE Damage
Cons: Vulnerability for a short period of time to the player.

Emergency Launch : On a critical situations (out of energy for jetpacking, falling and no way to stop it, etc...), the player can activate this ability. The Omniframe will launch the player upwards with extreme force, and then a parachute will be deployed. The omniframe will then wait and follow the player until he touches the ground, or run into the closest enemy and auto destroy.

Pros: Vertical / Horizontal Mobility (Parachute)
High Damage of explosion
Cons: The player wont have an Omniframe for a short period of time.

Passive for one class of omniframe? :
Wheeler : The Omniframe can activate this extra ability, transforming its legs onto wheels. This ability can be enhanced further.

Thats for now, I have stuff to do !

Vedemin

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
I don't like mechs at all :( One of the fun things about Firefall was that we had a nice looking character in a badass exoskeleton that wasn't looking strange like the omniframe does. Exoskeletons offered us more possibilities because, as TankHunter said, mechs need just more weapon systems.
Anyways, omniframes should have basic movement abilities like jets etc.

Hmm...

I like that idea, from another thread, of our omni-frames being able to transform (or just partially transform) to become either proper land-vehicles or more like...hover-vehicles, with the assistance of the boosters. We could only sustain that form for a limited time, depending on our energy reserves that would need some time to recharge. Said energy reserves, as proposed in yet another thread, could be tied to the use of abilities and the time we could spend with our frame in vehicle-mode.

The freedom to leave our frame shouldn't be tied to an ability, rather, through upgrades made in an ability-tree or mod-tree, our frame could be enabled to run on auto-pilot, either for a limited time or indefinitely until we'd reenter it. (Got that idea from Ghost 1.0, where you could upgrade the robot-body you were possessing to function like that when you left it to mess around in ghost-form) In that mode, it could use basic movement to relocate itself, to flee danger, or through more upgrades, defend itself with basic attacks. Elsewhere, I have proposed the idea of the unoccupied frame deploying an energy barrier in a given radius (that also could be upgraded, although I don't really think that is necessary) to protect both itself and the pilot from the environmental factors if needed, either indefinitely or for a limited amount of time.

We, the pilots, could also have some minimal shielding that could be upgraded through a survivability-tree, a branch of which would be tied to out-of-frame activity. When out on our own feet, we could kit ourselves out with stun/smoke/teleport/decoy grenades, purely for evasion or even offensive grenades like cryo/incendiary/shock (yes, chemical, too - ugh). The frame itself could project a shield onto us, as a buff, that could only be sustain in close proximity. With upgrades to the frame's AI, emitters or core, giving it the ability to follow us or to project the shield farther, this link could be more sustainable, allowing for better exploration of areas, nooks and crannies, where our frame couldn't go or follow us. Not that I'd ever use Bethesda's games as a good as example for anything, but taking an idea from it, our frames could have headlights on them that could stay active when we'd exit, illuminating either in a full 360 degree radius or just in the direction it'd be facing. When it'd follow us, it could become a second-set of flashlights. A much stronger flashlight compared to what we'd have on us (or on whatever weapons we could carry when outside our frames).

Who'd act as the deployable in all those scenarios? Us or the frame? Both, I guess.

If we could fine-tune our boosters to use stronger but shorter bursts for dashing and dodging (or if it's a heavier build, then longer but weaker burns, for sustained air-time...or one can build a lighter frame for sustained air-time, also, and a heavier one for bursts - although the latter should eat up more energy per dash), then I wouldn't necessarily want there to be an ability that has a similar effect, that would rocket me across either shorter or even longer distances. If so, then the modifications we made to our existing booster-systems, should feed into the ability, to get more distance out of that sky-dash or make it use less energy or less cooldown.

Making everything connected and synergistic.

So many possibilities. Too many! :confused:

I don't like mechs at all :( One of the fun things about Firefall was that we had a nice looking character in a badass exoskeleton that wasn't looking strange like the omniframe does. Exoskeletons offered us more possibilities because, as TankHunter said, mechs need just more weapon systems.
I didn't either, at first. o_O

But I'm coming around. :cool:

The damn thing needs to be fully enclosed. It makes mecha fans laugh and ask what the hell the designer was thinking when I show it around.

And when I tell them the type of planet we are using it on they laugh harder.
Yep. All it needs is an option for closed cockpit and I'm, personally, good to go.

Beemann

Jul 29, 2016
I have a hard time coming up with abilities for the Omniframe (besides soaring afterburner/Overboost) because of how mecha it is. Mechas just beg for more weapon systems, not so much abilities.
All that differs between a gadget, system or weapon and an ability is how you frame it. You can just have a nanite grenade launcher with a long reload/charge time instead of a nanite grenade "spell" or "ability" with a cooldown. It's just a matter of reframing your ability ideas (or just leaving that part to the Ember team)

Daynen

Aug 3, 2016
Can't ignore. Tried SO HARD not to let it bother me. Too many wrong uses. Must correct. Teeth won't stop gnashing in frustration.

AbiliTIES. Not ability's. The first is the plural form. The second shows ownership of a thing later in the sentence!!

Sorry, I try not to do that over little things, but you did it once in the OP and FOUR TIMES in the poll! AAAUUUGGHHHH!!!!

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Director of Marketing and Community
Jul 26, 2016
Any ability that a battle frame can have can have an equivalent on an omniframe mecha. There is no additional limitation on what abilities are possible. In some cases the explanation and science of the ability will be different but the function can be identical.

Example 1: In firefall the medic frame originally had a "heal beam", in a mech game called hawken the technician mech has a "repair beam". They function exactly the same way.

Example 2: In firefall the firecat had various fire themed abilities. Nothing that could not be explained by flame throwers, thermal vents, napalm grenades and thermal grenades. (Have you seen the scorch mech from Titanfal 2?) If we replace firefalls old "hand out" animation with a little launcher or vent that opens it will look more "Weapon-like" but be effectively the same thing in gameplay.

In fact the lore of firefall's battleframes was that they used technology to create these ability effects. Why would being in a mech, which is also based on technology, suddenly take any ability options way? It wouldn't.
I cannot pretend to know what abilities will be decided on but I do know that they are not limited in choice.

TLDR. There is no limitation on Omninframe abilities.

Naku

Terraformer
Jul 26, 2016
I woudl liek to see Turret mode and Mammoth Tv.... i mean shield wall.

Also, i remeber in beta of FF, when we still coudl upgrade mass, power, and cpu of our frames - somethign liek that woudl be very cool.

EricAZ4

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Alberta, Canada
Can't ignore. Tried SO HARD not to let it bother me. Too many wrong uses. Must correct. Teeth won't stop gnashing in frustration.

AbiliTIES. Not ability's. The first is the plural form. The second shows ownership of a thing later in the sentence!!

Sorry, I try not to do that over little things, but you did it once in the OP and FOUR TIMES in the poll! AAAUUUGGHHHH!!!!
Sorry mate some times I over look things (also I have really bad spelling) but thanks for pointing it out,
I can fix the title for you but the poll i can not