Why I don't like mech omniframe concept

Rocket

Max Kahuna
Max Kahina
Jul 26, 2016
Australia
I watched some Mech game play footage for a game about a month ago. It was seriously awesome. I've gotta see if I can find it again, and link it here.

TankHunter678

Jul 26, 2016
Don't suppose by chance you've played or know the plot of Halo 5's campaign?
Have not played it, watched it and facepalmed a few times. For the most part it obeyed logic, realism (as much as what could be applied all things considered), and while some actions were stupid for the most part the world building was cohesive and mostly worked within existing lore.

Or... just like the moment a mech gets pierced and is irreversibly damaged until it gets back to a repair bay, by which point the person inside is dead? Shields regenerate in most sci-fi universes or are stronger than normal materials (think HALO), it's actually a much better way of protecting the pilot on a mech of this scale.
That largely depends on hit location. The key thing is that the pilot is in a self contained atmosphere unless that gets punched through.

The key though is that the energy shield could go down but a enclosed cockpit would still need to get its armor punched through before the pilot is suffering from atmospheric environmental hazards. It provides the opportunity for the pilot to escape fire to let the shield recharge... without doubling over immobilized coughing up their lungs as they burn from the inside out or requiring the suit to basically overdose stim the pilot with fast acting pain killers so that they can ignore the whole burning from the inside out to backoff long enough for the shield to reestablish itself so the suit could purify the self contained atmosphere and stim the pilot with more meds to get the toxins out of their system.

If it was an earth like environment I would not have as much issue with the open cockpit, but the type of planet we are going to be on calls for a self contained atmosphere.

Silv3r Shadow

Max Kahuna
Max Kahuna
Kaiju Slayer
Jul 29, 2016
Perhaps being able to install frontal plating to cover the player to protect him from everything lol. I like fighting with full armour.
In comparison to generic mmo games that have male and female armour with lots of bare body parts that can get damaged (reguardless of stats)

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Director of Marketing and Community
Jul 26, 2016
I understand that not everyone is a fan of the ominframe's art style. Art is subjective so that's ok.
However, I believe that the concerns that the omniframe will limit gameplay in some way will be calmed once we get to experience it in action. You won't feel invincible when facing the enemies we are up against, you won't find the weapons to lack in personal feedback or skill requirements as nothing about mecha arms prevents a developer from including such things, you won't find the ability options limited because there can be technological and mecha themed equivalents to just about any ability one can dream up. These worries will fall away in time.

But these are just words. All I ask is that you wait and see.

NORBI

Jul 27, 2016
My good old friends, i also prefer old firefall type batleframes, no like the omniframe, omniframe is copy overwatch diva...

Dont forget, here a lot old firefall players like batleframes before...., my opinion: more than half old firefall players no like mech omniframe...

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
My good old friends, i also prefer old firefall type batleframes, no like the omniframe, omniframe is copy overwatch diva...

Dont forget, here a lot old firefall players like batleframes before...., my opinion: more than half old firefall players no like mech omniframe...
And diva is a cheap ass copy of that BIG BADASS B*TCH FROM ROBOCOP 2.

So, you don't like any other "mech" game, because it's not battleframe from firefall?

Terib.Shadow

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 26, 2016
Baal Secundus

And i no like your english, joking, but anyways, i also think the mech doesn't fit, and also doesn't feel as advanced as the battleframes in technology, honestly, i'm sure they're both gonna be equivalent in firepower/effectiveness but the battleframe is, well, smaller, so the same power in a smaller outfit means easier movements, ability to go in smaller places and so many other things, i don't see how the game will work with mechs, since it would cause the players to always have to stay outside. And unable to enter a ton of stuff. My simple and pretty stupid but effective fix? Put both mechs and battleframes, battleframes for smaller places, always equipped on the player and the mech to move around in the open, with the battleframe still equipped. This way you can go anywhere a human can go without problems, maybe make the battleframe less powerfull than the mech? Anyways this is just a suggestion.
I'm also thinking about only having a battleframe, and this battleframe turns into the mech when needed, the mech is stored as multiple parts in small pocket dimensions in each part of the battleframe, makes it much more futuristic than firefall and still keeps the mech. This also gives the possibility of REALLY cool animations to switch between battleframe and mech.

EDIT : This also makes the concept original, mechs are overused, battleframe is also already used. Battleframes deploying into mechs via pocket dimensions? Never made.

Nakiato

Jul 26, 2016
I would like to chip in. It's been brought up that Omniframes will be "too big" and "too powerful". Well, that's really about perspective, isn't it? If you're in an open world environment and most of the other things you encounter are scaled to roughly match the size of the Omniframe, then why would the Omniframe "feel" too big? If you're main enemy is an alien race that can shapeshift into giant monsters bigger than your omniframe, then I doubt you will feel too powerful. Grummz has talked about how he wants the combat to feel like Firefall did. So with this in mind, it's safe to assume that quick movement and similar weapons will follow suit.

Jul 26, 2016
"I don't like <thing>, so it has to go." is the one of the worst mentalities to have.

Get rid of that selfish mode of thinking. There are plenty of things we don't like and things we do like that others are the opposite. Don't simply aim your sights on destroying something and aim them on perhaps valuable arguments for adjustments that would at best appeal to the many and at least lighten your distaste.

Not fair to thrust your preferences upon others.

Also, this isn't Firefall. Stop tugging pieces of it here. We aren't making a Firefall clone. :p

Last edited:

Terib.Shadow

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 26, 2016
Baal Secundus
Mark said it a couple of times by now, nothing is set in stone, everything is still open to suffer modifications, just the general idea is what we got to start brainstorming as much as we want to.
Yes he did, but if we start going back on our choices this early, this project isn't gonna last long. Money is one of the biggest problem, remember?

Jul 26, 2016
Seville, Southern Spain
Yes he did, but if we start going back on our choices this early, this project isn't gonna last long. Money is one of the biggest problem, remember?
I never said anything like stepping back in the already taken choices, I'm just saying in order to improve and move forward there is a lot of things around us already, we could get the best things here and there till everyone agrees or at least is comfortable with what the devs can accomplish after our suggestions and their own ideas.

"Just remember to take into account the past in order to move forward without repeating the same mistakes."

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2016
I never said anything like stepping back in the already taken choices, I'm just saying in order to improve and move forward there is a lot of things around us already we could get the best things here and there till everyone agrees or at least is comfortable with what the devs can accomplish after our suggestions and their own ideas.

"Just remember to take into account the past in order to move forward without repeating the same mistakes."
Unfortunately someone will always hate it. Never can please everyone. Change it and die hard fans of it now may like it less. Pleasing the majority is more safe. It could use some modifications perhaps but I wouldn't hold your breath on any community ever reaching a unified approval. :(

Honestly until we see it in an actual demonstration it is hard to justify any change.