Chat options and commands

Aug 14, 2016
This thread is about different types of chats and chat options in games for different reasons. It is not to say that this game needs these options is just something to talk about. The pros and cons such systems and how it might help or hurt different kinds of people.

I think we all know the basic options of changing the text size and color for your chats. Or just a auto contrast setting where color of the text is always different from the color behind the chat, it is more important for those windowless chats.

Although I don't really role play in games much anymore (outside of helping a friends make things like machinima or puing on a show for pvp reasons like in pro wrestling) but the ability to use and make chat macros is always nice for reasons other than role playing. As some of you know, because I made it no secret, that I'm a person with dyslexia. As such there are times when I forget how some words look making it so I can't spell works that I know, even if I just read the word like 3 seconds before. This can as you guess slows down my typing speed when I get stuck on a word or two. Most of the time I can get around this by using other words in the thesaurus inside my head but that didn't always work. And those of you who know me from games like FireFall know that one of the things I like to do is help when I'm just sitting around in town waiting for something (be it crafting, a friend, or world boss respawn). And I learned that over my many years as a gamer that games that allow for me to set up things like macros and scripts help me greatly when I'm helping other people. And yes, some people use those same options to annoy other people or to make bots, but those same options also help people with disabilities to communicate better. Especially if there is a lot of things happening at once and they might be in the middle of combat.

Linking ingame items and NPCs in the chat really helps in games. Because rather than me trying to explain everything about the item or NPC to the person. I can just input the command to a link pop up in chat that they can click on to see all the data the need to know about the item or NPC. Of course you can't link to things like outside of game for clear reasons. But it is a big help when trying to talk about different gear and how to use them when everyone can click on the name of it in chat to see the stats of it. This more common in games with a ton of different weapons and items and/or classes that you can't reasonability ask a normal person to know them all.

There are also things like auto chat options. Again something that can be used for role playing but also helpful to other people. This are options there you can set up things to show up in chat automatically only when certain conditions apply. For example, let's say that I die in a fight and other player revives me. In the auto chat options there can be the condition say this when revived by another player. In most games with this type of system I always have it so that if another person revives me my character auto thanks them by name. Or if a rare item drops my character says what it is and post the map location of it so everyone nearby can get it too, this is more common in games where everyone can pick up one copy of the item until it despawns, even if they are not in your team.

Anyway where are your ideas and feeling about different chat systems and options?
Like I have played a few international games where you can't use words in the chat. Only emotes and universally recognized symbols. This is because everyone plays on the same severs no matter where they are from and so rather than having all different languages being said in chat. This much more limited sudo chat allows for everyone to understand each other even in the middle of combat just by uses those emotes and symbols.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
I like all these points they are great to help us to communicate better.

Things i dislike in chats that when your busy and you wonder if there is a reply perhaps an auto message to say i will reply soon as i can i am in a middle of a mission etc

Also i like to separate my chat boxes away and if a message does turn up i could see a snippet of it inside the mech onboard & my mek could remind after 15mins or something a message may need my attention.

In left 4 dead there are some add ons where you can use radial keys and voice commands
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1224992309

I wish these were built with the game alot of very nice things are always mods if they just had these already done in the first place and have the choice to use it or not that would make the experience better than to search for the mods.

Aug 14, 2016
And one of the things that having chat options like linking character and item information does is that it allows for people more easily share their builds and theorycraft about different ways of doing things. I've done this lots of times in games like Anarchy Online, Warframe, and a few others. It also helps newer player to better understand what to aim for if an older player can just link their setup in the chat to show different stats and abilities interact with each other for that playing style. And this is an even greater help to those of us you like to use non-meta builds where it is just far easier to show someone the data than it is to try and explain it to them.

Also to have to the ability to make multiple chat windows and to move them around anywhere on the screen I want too is big help in some games. Because again I like to help people and sometimes I am a leader of guild / in-game business (of I play as mercenary) there are times when I can be have 5 different kinds of talks within 5 different rooms at once. This is damn near impossible to do if you are forced to only use one chat window because opening one chat means you can't see the others. Where as being able to open as many chat windows as I want and place them around the screen as I like means I can follow what all the different chats are saying at the same time. This option might not seem like something that is needed or useful at first. But if you are a person who is like me and do things in games like act as an information broker, event planner, multi-guild alliance (in some games guilds can form an even larger group often called alliances. And sometimes even group of alliances can join into something even larger, although this more common in games with player governments and/or server vs server events.) and the higher up in the chain you are a more of hub you become. Where like an your job is not to fight be to be aware of what everyone else is doing and giving them information as to where to go and what to fight. People who often act as tacticians for groups jokingly known for having like 20 different windows open at once while playing the game.

Also, here is an example of an auto chat system in a game.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Also to have to the ability to make multiple chat windows and to move them around anywhere on the screen I want too is big help
Yes and to help folks out is very good.

Having a chat options, help because some may not use the mic, prefer to use the ingame chat because its in the game even see symbols/emoji for danger, and other things even making sounds like when in the old times they signaled with horns etc etc.

liandri

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 29, 2016
Zone of Bones, Australia
Linking items, quests, etc.. is a must. Being able to inspect an item that you might otherwise never have known about is a great learning tool. It'd be neat to link quests, locations and NPCs in chat if it would provide a waypoint. i recall Firefall having a way to link a co-ordinate in chat, which was very useful.

Since the first person who creates a unique omniframe setup has the ability to name it, it would assist a lot in players being able to share builds and loadouts too. If it was linked to a crafting system where you could select a linked omniframe in chat, then send a command to your base to manufacture one, I'd be very impressed.

I would like the ability to send commands and communicate with OP-AI through chat. Even being able to change omniframe lighting, going in and out of hard driver mode or calling down a mount would be a feature I'd find immersive.
But if you are a person who is like me and do things in games like act as an information broker, event planner, multi-guild alliance (in some games guilds can form an even larger group often called alliances. And sometimes even group of alliances can join into something even larger, although this more common in games with player governments and/or server vs server events.) and the higher up in the chain you are a more of hub you become. Where like an your job is not to fight be to be aware of what everyone else is doing and giving them information as to where to go and what to fight.
If the Kaiju battles are on a very large scale (say, over 100 players, or with multiple Kaiju oh my!), I can see where a single chat window (even one with tabs) would be frustrating. Being able to pull chats out and place them around your view would be great, but I can't help but think there should be a separate 'communications' menu purpose built for it.

Aug 14, 2016
Making a good chat system is key in games where people are meant to make large groups and those groups can be broken down into smaller groups. Working from memory this the chat system of game I played years ago they had player run nations and server vs server pvp war attacking giant motherships.

Sever chat
Normally only devs use this for making PSAs. Faction leader can use it for events.
(Like when faction leaders back exp buffs for everyone in the faction called things like Happy Hour.)
/\
Faction leader chat
Only the players was voted to lead the faction that week can use this chat as part of player government system.
/\
Alliance leader only chat
Only the players voted to lead and co-lead can the alliance can use this along with each guild leaders and co-leaders of each guild in the alliance.
/\
Alliance chat
Where members of every guild in the alliance can talk to each other.
/\
Guild larder only chat
Only guild leader, co-leader, and officers can this chat.
/\
Squadron leader chat
Guild members can be put into squadrons each under the commade of one of the guild officers.
/\
Squadron chat
Only members of that squad can see that chat.
(Example only members of squad A can see squad A chat but not the chat of squad B.)
/\
Guild chat
/\
Platoon chat
When two or more teams link into one unit.
/\
Team chat
/\
Area chat
map area
/\
Local chat
Only people within range of your voice.
There was few other chats in there that I can't remember. But you get the point. Each level of command had its own chat. This made it so they chain of command was clear in large battles. Follow the lead of the people higher in the chain. Even if you was not in a guild or team the idea was just to follow what the PSAs said when the faction leaders made announcements. This also meant that in large scale battles you going by if you was a leader or not you only had worry about keeping track of 1 or 3 chats. And the leader only chats was often free of spam as most people only used it for important things like energy location, numbers, status, and stuff. So it made it easy for people like me to get information about the battle, think of a plan, than tell the people under my command what to do.

Although even in that was not just sitting on the backlines giving orders all the time. As I was often on the frontlines with my personal squad fighting the enemy. And they knew to cover me when I backed off to give complex orders and information. As I was part of the vanguard forces who specialized in breaking enemy lines.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2016
In every MMO we all know the real end game is chat and fashion. So chat just so people can show off their fashion frames and another chat where people only talk about things like builds and lore. lol