The MPR ("Modular Polyvalent Rifle")

Would you like to see this Weapon/build in the game at some point?

• Total voters

Terib.Shadow

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 26, 2016
Baal Secundus
I like the fact have it all in one and that it could in useful for the various situation and even environments you are in. However is it just going to look the same is there potential for customization in look?

How would the gun compare to the standalone weapon e,g a MPR vs say a Plasma cannon
if they both used the same ammo and had the same firing mode would the plasma cannon still excel since it is made for that specifically than the MPR? or will it act the same?

Could this modular type weapon example say i want to focus mainly on a
lightening gun that fires electricity since i am using that as my main, researching a modular system core for that particular gun would it mean electricity would be my main and still use other ammo although not as effective as the electricity ?

The idea is good just think if we still have various weapon type why not use a special modular system core that could be put into any weapon that way we still have the style we want e,g, it could be a flame thrower look that cooks stuff primarily but can switch to a plasma cannon perhaps and change the appearance too?

The more you can change it would just be the jack of all trades but never be as good as the standalone weapon? or then again a weapon that could change to just 2 different weapons.
E.g. A sniper that could switch to a p90 or an Axe that could turn into a pole arm
perhaps there could be some morph changing effect then changes to the new weapon and its appearance.

I like the idea of switching to at least 2 weapons but if you could change to any weapon ammo type does this just leave the other so called weapons forgotten and overlooked?

If this MPR could have various amount of skins, just like how it could change ammo types and firing modes then this could be really nice perhaps it could but depends on which ammo you use
e.g. if i was using plasma ammo and something else the MPR could let me use the plasma skin and the MPR skin when switching so when i change ammo mode it could morph to the smexy plasma cannon look

Is there a place for this MPR i'd like to think so and would want it to be an alternative way to play than be a one gun does all.
Many of those questions are too in-depth for me to determine myself, i don't have all that much experience with actual numbers and precise weapon stats. So i thought it best to just leave that aside for now, after all, who can balance the weapons better than the very people who make said weapons.

Again, the other weapons wouldn't be forgotten or overlooked, as every extra weapon or ammo type you take with this, also means you get one less ability to use, for exemple, you could pick the MPR shotgun mode, but you'd have to give up that ol' firefall "Crater" ability. Players would probably be able to manage with a few abiltiies less, no doubt, but it's still a price to pay, this alone is already a big deal which balances out the weapon.
I'm sure many would rather have only one weapon and a ton of abilities with them, but I thought this idea was worth sharing as some people might be interested in "more Dakka". ^^
All in all, it's still the player's choice wether they want to pick this weapon or not.
As for the cosmetic part, i don't quite know, some ideas about that have been mentioned in the comments above, but that's a TBD i guess. Your ideas certainly have potential as well, no doubt about that.

Also, to clarify, i think a few people here may be confused about this :
I'm not suggesting we get rid of every weapon in the game to only have this one, i'm suggesting this weapon to be a single weapon, among all of the others, but it would use the other weapon's stats, or at least similar ones. You'd still have that secondary weapon and that melee weapon, the MPR would be a primary, and using the MPR, you'd have the choice to either pick normal abilities or the MPR abilities.

VRK9

Sep 15, 2017
Portugal
Yup, i'm thinking about this weapon in a way where players could create and customize this weapon (make yourself a weapon style).
So players could choose which weapons to use into this, and which ammo types.
That's why i ask about melee weapons with the same features or even an half melee/ranged weapon for all situations.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Many of those questions are too in-depth for me to determine myself, i don't have all that much experience with actual numbers and precise weapon stats. So i thought it best to just leave that aside for now, after all, who can balance the weapons better than the very people who make said weapons.
Yes! and those folks could come up with some way for all to be happy with standard and even the MPR hmm

Again, the other weapons wouldn't be forgotten or overlooked, as every extra weapon or ammo type you take with this, also means you get one less ability to use, for exemple, you could pick the MPR shotgun mode, but you'd have to give up that ol' firefall "Crater" ability.
So if i understand this correctly the weapon could change to any weapon as long as that ammo type is available to the player?

All in all, it's still the player's choice wether they want to pick this weapon or not.
Choice is sure good just like picking your fave donuts!

1563105070142.jpeg
To MPR or not to MPR that is the question?

Terib.Shadow

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 26, 2016
Baal Secundus
Yes! and those folks could come up with some way for all to be happy with standard and even the MPR hmm

So if i understand this correctly the weapon could change to any weapon as long as that ammo type is available to the player?

Choice is sure good just like picking your fave donuts!

View attachment 3198
To MPR or not to MPR that is the question?
Almost but not quite, you could switch to any weapon, and any ammo type. It would simply be another thing entirely. (there's active and passive abilities in EM-8ER, so weapons would be the former and ammo types the latter, or almost, as it's an active-passive, in the sense that you have to activate it manually but it remains active constantly afterwards unless you switch ammo type again.)
Also good point on that, picking your favorite donut is a hard but good thing.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
the ammo type would simply be another thing entirely.
Ah i see so this could run out if not managed properly??

If so does this mean the ammo would need to be collected from e.g. Dead enemies, crates and even to be created from the resource collected?

Could the ammo be stored in the dropship so when we call it it would drop a box of ammo when we call it?

Terib.Shadow

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 26, 2016
Baal Secundus
Ah i see so this could run out if not managed properly??

If so does this mean the ammo would need to be collected from e.g. Dead enemies, crates and even to be created from the resource collected?

Could the ammo be stored in the dropship so when we call it it would drop a box of ammo when we call it?
This would all depend on how ammo will work in EM-8ER, so who knows. ^^

Jul 26, 2016
This would all depend on how ammo will work in EM-8ER, so who knows. ^^

Man I hope we don't have to pick up ammo dropped from enemies during fights.

That got annoying in Anthem. To the point that I stopped using firearms and just used the Mage class powers & melee/dodge attacks instead. Swapped out my guns for low ammo count, high damage sniper rpgs and rarely used them.

There was this game called Resistance 2 on the consoles which had a multiplayer class , a sniper with the ability to spawn/throw ammo. I like that. It made it easy to supply your team by either dropping ammo on the ground near your team or to toss them directly to your team mate. The devs also made it so that every-time you used your ammo spawn ability, you refilled your own ammo.

That meant players could keep up an aggressive defensive line without needing to backtrack to resupply.

VRK9

Sep 15, 2017
Portugal
Man I hope we don't have to pick up ammo dropped from enemies during fights.

That got annoying in Anthem. To the point that I stopped using firearms and just used the Mage class powers & melee/dodge attacks instead. Swapped out my guns for low ammo count, high damage sniper rpgs and rarely used them.

There was this game called Resistance 2 on the consoles which had a multiplayer class , a sniper with the ability to spawn/throw ammo. I like that. It made it easy to supply your team by either dropping ammo on the ground near your team or to toss them directly to your team mate. The devs also made it so that every-time you used your ammo spawn ability, you refilled your own ammo.

That meant players could keep up an aggressive defensive line without needing to backtrack to resupply.
I feel you, that's why in warframe i normally use melee weapons and rarely ranged weapons or abilities.

Terib.Shadow

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 26, 2016
Baal Secundus
I do hope we have a good amount of ammo available, or something like Firefall, an average amount of ammo in the main weapon but you can easily refill through consumable ammo packs or thanks to your local engie with his refill station. Secondary weapon should definitely have infinite ammo like in firefall, being all out of ammo is no fun.

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Some people might roast me for this, but I rather liked Mass Effect 1's weapon design where we had unlimited ammo but had to deal with venting heat. Thermal clips was something I hated about ME2 and one reason why I never played with anything other than snipers and high ammo count rifles, which also limited me on what classes I was willing to play.

EDIT: This is why I have said elsewhere that our weapons should have small general ammo molecular crafting modules installed, I would prevent you from going full on rambo for long extended periods as you would run out, but it would negate the requirement for ammo drops in world as over time it would replenish. The only restriction would be special ammo you have to craft yourself back at base.

Last edited:

Wyntyr

Omni Ace
Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Florida
Some people might roast me for this, but I rather liked Mass Effect 1's weapon design where we had unlimited ammo but had to deal with venting heat. Thermal clips was something I hated about ME2 and one reason why I never played with anything other than snipers and high ammo count rifles, which also limited me on what classes I was willing to play.

EDIT: This is why I have said elsewhere that our weapons should have small general ammo molecular crafting modules installed, I would prevent you from going full on rambo for long extended periods as you would run out, but it would negate the requirement for ammo drops in world as over time it would replenish. The only restriction would be special ammo you have to craft yourself back at base.
Or even a possible crafted weapon modification.