Biofeedback systems and pilot abilities

Aug 14, 2016
This thread is about an idea that was kicking around in my head for awhile now. It has to do with the skills and abilities in the game. We all know different Omniframe types will have some abilities that only they can use (like the light mass Omniframes being able to dual wield melee weapons). But I was thinking that sense the Omniframes are using a biofeedback system to control them, that would mean most physical abilities that the pilot has can be translated to the Omniframes. For example, let's say your pilot is good at playing baseball. This could mean that no matter what Omniframe they are in they would still be better than normal at throwing things like grenades and using club-like weapons.

So the question. Would pilots also have traits and abilities in the game that are different from the traits and abilities of the Omniframes? And would those traits and abilities of the pilot effect how the Omniframes work? What could be some traits and abilities pilots could have that could be translated into Omniframe abilities or buffs?

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
I have thought of this myself on several occasions but then one has to ask exactly what sorts of abilities would really translate. I really could not think of many.

What if players got to pick a "trait" for their character which could apply small modifiers for some abilities. like fast reflexes, or knowledge skills, or quick thinking, stuff like that. I would think something like how Stellaris does their species traits, where you have a small pool of say 2-3 points to spend.

Some examples:
1pt Fortified Constitution: -10% to any stun duration, +10% longevity in bitter cold conditions

1pt Loner: +5% player damage, -20% effect from abilities triggered by other players.

2pt Fast Reflexes: -5% damage from AoE sources, +10% faster turn rate

2pt Hyper Awareness: +20% chance to detect hidden anomalies (NPC's, objects, etc) +10% duration on any stun effect

Last edited:

Wyntyr

Omni Ace
Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Florida
Perhaps it could be a trait/skill list and the player chooses which trait/skill they are currently focusing on so that's where the boost would come from?

Ex. List:
Weapon Systems - increase % damage
Movement Systems - increase base movement speed
Repair Systems - increase armor/shield repair %

The player can only have one chosen at any given time but can switch between them once an hour/day.

Aug 14, 2016
Trying to think up things that would translate into Omniframe abilities or buffs was odd. Because you have think about where are some things humans can be that can be scaled up to the size of an Omniframe or abilities that naturally augment Omniframe abilities. Using myself as an example three physical traits and abilities that I have could possibly translate into buffs for Omniframes.
  • Ambidextrous - The pilot is ambidextrous, able to use the right and left hands equally well.
    • Removes the main hand and offhand limiters on all one hand weapons allowing them to be use in either. Also allows extra dexterity when dual wielding weapons, for more damage with melee weapons and higher aim with guns (just in case there is an Omniframe type that can dual wield things like pistols).
  • Sure-footedness - The pilot is unlikely to stumble or slip because of their acute sense of balance and coordination.
    • Able to resist being knocked back and thrown off balance. Faster recovery time from stun and stager attacks.
  • Light-footedness - The pilot is fast, nimble, and stealthy on their feet.
    • Higher movement speed when walking and running and higher agility when turning and jumping. Do to how they walk and run they also produce less of a impact and vibrations with also means they make less sound when moving.
Those are just some physical traits I have that would also be copied by any Omniframe I pilot because those are just the way I naturally move. So just like how I like to bounce up and down on my toes, because of the biofeedback system my Omniframe would do the same too. I also think some skills and abilities from things like sports would also translate to Omniframes too. The question is by how much. Like if your pilot is a professional swimmer would they be able to make an Omniframe swim?

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
So just like how I like to bounce up and down on my toes, because of the biofeedback system my Omniframe would do the same too.
when we usually think of mechs as clunky and powerful in general.

Here are examples of types of pilots with different traits

- Pilot A [Tricker/gymnast = Flowing movement with improved stability control this in turn could reduce carrying capacity but give you movements so finely tuned for greater freedom

The hyper active jump around kind of pilot who is playful :D

- Pilot B [Conditioned] Wings of Armour = Stronger wings that protect mech even a 2nd pilot who is out of their mech reducing speed slightly and increases Armour strength. This could mean the wings can be used not just for gliding but another means for defense

For those pilots who like to protect and be useful!

like this but the wings can take more beatings

Like this

Alternative wing mode:

[Wing Blade] = Can cut into multiple enemies fanning out the wings and charging through a concentrated group of enemies. The Wings are less armored and have an increase in damage with less weight.

like this instead of the blades the wings

[Wing Force] = blasts a wave to push/damage enemies away good to keep distance perhaps when someone is constructing or healing a fellow team mate. Wing span slightly increased and power needed to apply the ability.

like this

- Pilot C [Focus/concentration] = The pilot has increased awareness, able to use full spectral scans with greater accuracy avoiding hitting an innocent behind the wall even finding secret path ways.
This ability reduces speed slightly but gives greater haptic feedback if too much damage is taken affect the sensors loss of control.

Great for the tactician and slower paced pilot

https://youtu.be/LkoOCw_tp1I
Too much information can overload even the best of pilots

https://youtu.be/6IhQnWb44zk
sensing directly with the mech

https://youtu.be/-em6galsT3w?t=9m33s
Like this

https://youtu.be/5NkcwN85GQI
Special zooms & reconstruction model perhaps finding missing pieces of items etc

https://youtu.be/48bwQVa0AQc
https://youtu.be/OW1gGDbO_1U
thermal imaging and nice sound effects!

Sy

Nov 16, 2018
sya.li
Do keep in mind that there will be no experience or levels, and there will be one pilot per account.

I'd rather keep the complexity and gameplay entirely in the omniframe. I feel putting any gameplay influences at all in the pilot is a distraction from the core gameplay. The pilot is basically cosmetic.

Sy

Nov 16, 2018
sya.li
Just remember Grummz had commented about pilot skill traits for the other military vehicles that will be in the game.
Hmm. Well that means that this would certainly be something to entertain for an expansion, so it's good to be discussing this now.

I don't disagree, but I want to avoid this feeling like the "races" concept in other games. When I first got into World of Warcraft, all the races were just a set of stats which I felt nailed down to. I can get on board if training and appearance were distinct, without the "big guy strong, little girl fast" stuff.

Aug 14, 2016
But what if you can have an pilot who is a contortionist? Could you than have your Omniframe turn into something like a morph ball? The Em-8er version of Samus Aran's morph ball from Metroid.

Also would a person who is a good dancer make an Omniframe kick really good while spinning around like a ballerina? Or a pilot who is a miner being able to more easily pick out the best spots to drill and can help the thumper dig faster telling them to adjust things like the speed and angle of the drill.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
samus aran morph mech ball that can spin like a sonic the hedgehog ball and hit kaiju's like flying skittles

It would brightly glow before hitting things and if you get hit
The part that sounds like violin players are bouncing up and down would be replaced by synthesizers
for when the ball jumps

Aug 14, 2016
Ballerina kick....like which one? Van Damme or Chuck Norris?
I always felt like Van Damme had better kicks than Chuck Norris.

samus aran morph mech ball that can spin like a sonic the hedgehog ball and hit kaiju's like flying skittles

It would brightly glow before hitting things and if you get hit
The part that sounds like violin players are bouncing up and down would be replaced by synthesizers
for when the ball jumps
Well remember in FireFall we did have the Cannonball ability on the Assault classes. So now a jet powered morph ball with spikes and/or blades sticking out of it flying at a kaiju's face at high speeds.

What if some of the traits you can pick for your pilot are sports related things? For example let's say your pilot likes to play Gridiron football (A.k.a American football) as a lineman? A lineman is a player who specializes in play at the line of scrimmage (line where the ball is before each play marking the divide between the offensive line and defensive line).

Gridiron football player, lineman position - The pilot enjoys playing gridiron football in the lineman position. Has buffs to baseline stats when using heavy mass Omniframes. More resistances to knock backs, push backs, and stuns. Buff to the range of melee attacks that can push and/or throw the target backwards as well as a damage buff to melees such as charge and tackle.