What would be the perks of Em-8ER being Epic Store exclusive?

Pave

Commander
Dec 12, 2016
twitter.com
---
Marketing / financial gains ("88/12") aside, what perks Epic Games could / would offer if Em-8ER was to become to a "Epic Store"-exclusive tittle?

I know that for example a multiplayer-game called "Dauntless" became a Epic Store-exclusive tittle since they wanted to make their game being possible to play across multiple-platforms, similar to say "Fortnite" and "Rocket League"
( although the latter has already have been build around Valve's Steam-infrastructure; perhaps Epic Store-infrastructure could be still included in the future?.. ).

But for a (currently) single-platform-tittle, can Epic Store give some development-related extra perks for Unreal Engine users?
I am aware that anyone who creates an Epic Store-account are invited to the Gifthub-page of Unreal Engine, so there is that at least.

Would there be some drawbacks / cutbacks needed to be done in order to have the game to be running in the Epic Store-infrastructure
( E.G. in relation to game-server-infrastructure )?

---
---
---

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
I am not sure on these store, steam used to be good but now i do not like it as much and has made my game not work great.

An Em8er launcher with its own store would be great that way have full control and less issues i am guessing but that is just my view.

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
The higher ups can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the intent is stand alone for budgeting reasons. Steam of course was talked about but the 30% off the top is harsh for this project. I'm ok with this because in my eyes this puts more on the community getting the news out there. The more we delve into the game and bugs etc the better we can help the devs make one helluva title. Too many of my old gamer friends are still WoW junkies unfortunately. They are the ones that will need a solid finished project to start with. But my old table top friends and Crixa will be a much better hook.

I know I derailed from the Steam vs Epic talk but I was trying to focus on our responsibility to be Em-8ER's advertisement. Plus, didn't Epic just get busted for finding out how to pull info from a Steam file? Friends lists and profiles?

Faeryl

Omni Ace
Staff member
Community Manager
Kaiju Slayer
Jul 26, 2016
Planet Earth, USA, East Coast
discord.gg
The higher ups can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the intent is stand alone for budgeting reasons. Steam of course was talked about but the 30% off the top is harsh for this project. I'm ok with this because in my eyes this puts more on the community getting the news out there. The more we delve into the game and bugs etc the better we can help the devs make one helluva title. Too many of my old gamer friends are still WoW junkies unfortunately. They are the ones that will need a solid finished project to start with. But my old table top friends and Crixa will be a much better hook.

I know I derailed from the Steam vs Epic talk but I was trying to focus on our responsibility to be Em-8ER's advertisement. Plus, didn't Epic just get busted for finding out how to pull info from a Steam file? Friends lists and profiles?
Here is what Grummz himself said on Twitter yesterday in regards to Em-8ER & game platforms:

1553203049111.png

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing a multiple platform option but, I don't know what is physically possible, what is financially possible, and what the different platforms stipulate. I'd also be okay with a stand alone launcher like Firefall had before Steam. :)

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
Nothing will take Steam down. They just need to share more of the pie. That 90-10 will fall to greed in a couple years of establishing themselves and will inevitably get to where Steam is but after they have taken their share of the business. Epic cant be trusted over that Steam file breach in my opinion. Granted it is from the user importing friends list and such I believe but whether Steam ends up encrypting the file now or not has yet to be seen. Still an crooked way for Epic to gather personal data from a competitor.

Once Em-8ER is WELL built, the cross platforming to reach out to more of an audience is going to be good, but I see a long future of tight resources to split with any of them.

Last edited: