Female Characters

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Director of Marketing and Community
Jul 26, 2016
@Dubbelklik: So you are saying that all women in Ember are crazy iron pumpers? I really hope that is not what I am stuck with. I would prefer something a little more, normal? (Honestly do guys see that as very attractive?)
Personally I like quite a few different body types on a woman.
For what it's worth though, when the lore has people playing as soldiers and warriors I prefer that the body types fit what would come from a lifestyle of battle and rigorous combat training. That will of course take many forms but would generally showcase fitness.

But then who knows what kind of genetic divergences have happened to these people....

NitroMidgets

Tsi-Hu Hunter
Jul 27, 2016
Dupont, WA
Ronyn makes a valid argument.
However even Special Forces end up looking very fit rather then like a body builder.

I doubt we will see the level of detail and options that there is a slider system like Saints Row had. It did give us lots of options though.

I will still hold out hope that I get my super exclusive midget based character.

Heron

Jul 28, 2016
@Dubbelklik: (Honestly do guys see that as very attractive?)
Speaking as one man, yes. Still, variety is good, and ideally there would be a character creator with extensive customisation options.

Edit: I think I've mentioned EVE Online in every post I've made here so far, and I see no reason to stop now. EVE Online has one of the best character creation systems I know of, although the range of possibilities there could stand to be stretched a bit further. And you never even see the characters.

MollilMayhem

Jul 27, 2016
GA, USA
@Dubbelklik: So you are saying that all women in Ember are crazy iron pumpers? I really hope that is not what I am stuck with. I would prefer something a little more, normal? (Honestly do guys see that as very attractive?)

Strong is the new sexy. :)
Although strong can take many forms because no matter how hard you train as a woman, without the perfect genetics (or steroid cheating) you simply cannot build huge muscles or even look like that picture. (I know, I've tried :p)

I am a fan of body sliders in character creation, as long as they are within the range of "normal". It would be really fun to be able to make your character taller or shorter, and have options as to at least chest, waist, hip proportions, both for male and female characters.

Also better hair (hair that moves would be nice or at least that doesn't look like a plastic hat), and of course MUCH MORE options in the style and color departments.

Strong is the new sexy. :)
Although strong can take many forms because no matter how hard you train as a woman, without the perfect genetics (or steroid cheating) you simply cannot build huge muscles or even look like that picture. (I know, I've tried :p)

I am a fan of body sliders in character creation, as long as they are within the range of "normal". It would be really fun to be able to make your character taller or shorter, and have options as to at least chest, waist, hip proportions, both for male and female characters.

Also better hair (hair that moves would be nice or at least that doesn't look like a plastic hat), and of course MUCH MORE options in the style and color departments.
Hey, thanks for the like, by the way.

Aesthetics and the ability to make one's character truly unique is and should always be an essential part of massively multiplayer role-playing game, even if one doesn't particularly "role" play much, aside from setting a unique appearance for themselves, but that's the first step.

As a straight male I find the cover models of body-building magazines, both male and female, those overly muscular, balloon, often-steroid muscles, to be disgusting. I have the same eye for e.g.: battle-frames and characters in general. Prefer lean and mean. Some bulkiness is acceptable, just don't have unrealistic proportions (or have only one, where everyone's the same height).

As I've said in a different thread, the frames, as well as the physiques of characters should have an effect on their mobility.

As for certain parts of the female body. I prefer fair, but firm. Wouldn't want a femme fatale with back-pains, because not even their armor can keep their assets comfortably in place.

MollilMayhem

Jul 27, 2016
GA, USA
On of my favorite things in any game is the character creation process...the more involved it is the more fun I have. :D
I think in general "fit" body types, more like gymnasts and swimmers, would be preferable to overly-muscled forms (although I did not think Dubbleklik's picture was overly muscled, just very ripped).

Make the females look something like this and I'll throw many U.S. dollars at you:

I can live without jiggle physics. It's not attractive to me in a game where the characters have to be physically fit.
Oh, so this is the post you were talking about.

Well, that physique is perfectly good. Well within acceptable parameters. Of course, the lighting helps, but still.

Niryco

Jul 29, 2016
Being in the army, not all women look good or have fantastic muscles or firm petite bodies and yet they can overpower strong looking male soldier sometimes. It is all in the technique and not the looks, so it would be preferable if more female body types can be present and not the extremes.

MollilMayhem

Jul 27, 2016
GA, USA
Being in the army, not all women look good or have fantastic muscles or firm petite bodies and yet they can overpower strong looking male soldier sometimes. It is all in the technique and not the looks, so it would be preferable if more female body types can be present and not the extremes.
Exactly! In my weight exercise class there is a very tall, large woman who definitely does NOT look like that picture, but she is STRONG!

Jul 27, 2016
Ronin kind of answered this already:
Personally I like quite a few different body types on a woman.
For what it's worth though, when the lore has people playing as soldiers and warriors I prefer that the body types fit what would come from a lifestyle of battle and rigorous combat training. That will of course take many forms but would generally showcase fitness.

But then who knows what kind of genetic divergences have happened to these people....
What I'm saying is that a super model (of either sex) would not be what I would expect to see in a battle suit. I would expect to see a pilot that is physically fit, more so than your ordinary super model, and therefore incapable of "jiggling", as some of the respondents have eluded to. To me, a jiggle factor in this setting would be unattractive, distracting and unrealistic.

MollilMayhem

Jul 27, 2016
GA, USA
Ronin kind of answered this already:

What I'm saying is that a super model (of either sex) would not be what I would expect to see in a battle suit. I would expect to see a pilot that is physically fit, more so than your ordinary super model, and therefore incapable of "jiggling", as some of the respondents have eluded to. To me, a jiggle factor in this setting would be unattractive, distracting and unrealistic.
oh god, I hated it when they changed the female running and walking physics in Firefall! My recon's sprint still looked ok, but if she just ran without sprinting, her butt looked like jello sloshing around. And the female NPC's walking around all looked like drunken hookers on too high heels! o_O

Jul 27, 2016
oh god, I hated it when they changed the female running and walking physics in Firefall! My recon's sprint still looked ok, but if she just ran without sprinting, her butt looked like jello sloshing around. And the female NPC's walking around all looked like drunken hookers on too high heels! o_O
Well, NPCs are a different story. They don't pilot battle frames, so I would expect them to be far more varied in body shapes.

I do agree with your assessment of previous NPCs though.