How Will Ember Stay True to the Vision Where Firefall Didn't

SSH83

Firstclaimer
Jul 29, 2016
I threw wallet at Firefall. Will throw wallet Ember. However... one thing I never quite got to the bottom of is this: Firefall looked so close to the 2nd milestone. It had invasion. It had repulsors. It had bases. It had turrets. It had crafting. It had escalating enemy strength. The only thing left was adding deployable platforms that allow players to pour resource to push back the melding then build stuff to defend territory.

Why did the game abandon that and go into grinding INSTANCES? Why did it abandon that to go into arena eSport? Why did it abandon player-driven narrative to... static, play-once story quests? Why kill frame customization to become DotA-clone?

Then, whatever the reasons were, how will Ember tackle those issues to stay on course?

I want to hear Kern talk about this, but while we wait... we might as well speculate.

My theory is player pressure. Just take a glance at this forum. It's already swarmed with "Do this. Do that." Yet most of the wish lists have little to do with the core vision. So I can understand how the dev can be led astray with the best intentions. HOWEVER, that same dynamic will happen to Ember too. How will Ember team figure out the best of both worlds to keep players happy while keeping the core development healthy? That brings me to a big reason why I have hope with Ember.

Kern's chosen variance of crowdsourcing is a model I've always wondered since Steam and HL Ep1 launched. In publisher model, publishers use their money/funding to decide development direction. So it would be fitting if in crowdsource model, players use their money/funding to decide what gets made. Sure, Ember can spend $1m to create extra something that isn't part of the core gameplay IF and WHEN the players fund the extra 1m, not taking from budget raised for the core vision. When making a frontier game like this, it's very important to minimize guesswork. No one knows for certain what kind of sandbox shooter-mmorpg players are willing to pay. Gotta find out and VALIDATE it with real funds one step at a time.

The audience is definitely there. You ask Warframe vets what they want. Dynamic gameplay is what they will say (aside from more guns/frames of course) and warframe vets are the biggest spenders in crowdfunding shooter genre. There is no shortage of lessons Ember can learn from games like Warframe, Planetside 2, Firefall, and Project Titan(Overwatch). Ember is technically 2nd generation of this but with the ill-will baggage from Firefall... it's going to be an uphill battle until Ember can deliver a playable alpha to rekindle people's desire for a true sandbox and prove they can do it. I hope Ember will rise where Firefall... fell...

Finanect

Jul 29, 2016
Planetside 2 is an amazing game but the devs are rather lax with updates (understatement of the year). I think Overwatch has the idea down pat: implementing the playerbase's opinion on ideas they already have a solid concept of. This way you have a game that won't be a hot mess and will instead be tailored to the players. The competitive play in Overwatch was a dumpster fire in beta and still has many major issues, but with the playerbase's response things will improve next seasons.

EDIT: I have faith that the devs know what they're doing if they handled so much of Firefall well. They've stated before the changes were against the studio's original wishes for the game.

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
To be honest, I had a hard time getting the upper mgt to go with my ideas. There was an internal struggle between doing something new (which is hard) and doing WoW with guns. You can see who won in the end.

I was very much a proponent of being hands off at the time, and for the last year of FF dev I was away fighting The9 constantly on other issues.

This time i'm going to remain on the ground level and shop floor and always be present to guide the vision on a daily basis. When we are small that's easy enough. If we get large that means hiring a President to run the business side of things so I can remain focused.

I threw wallet at Firefall. Will throw wallet Ember. However... one thing I never quite got to the bottom of is this: Firefall looked so close to the 2nd milestone. It had invasion. It had repulsors. It had bases. It had turrets. It had crafting. It had escalating enemy strength. The only thing left was adding deployable platforms that allow players to pour resource to push back the melding then build stuff to defend territory.

Why did the game abandon that and go into grinding INSTANCES? Why did it abandon that to go into arena eSport? Why did it abandon player-driven narrative to... static, play-once story quests? Why kill frame customization to become DotA-clone?

Then, whatever the reasons were, how will Ember tackle those issues to stay on course?

I want to hear Kern talk about this, but while we wait... we might as well speculate..

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Director of Marketing and Community
Jul 26, 2016
I felt player feedback was listened to too much. Part of the reason why they had rebuilt the game so many times in my opinion.
Just about every forum for just about every game has a bunch of conflicting feedback. It's the nature of the beast.
That isn't the source of the problem. It's a matter of cause verses symptom.
When those in charge of development are clear and unified on the vision internally the outside feedback has a more measured impact. But when those in charge are split or at odds with each other on what to do then outside feedback can be very disorienting and lead to strange changes.

EDIT: aaaaand grummz just made it abundantly clear that in house was where the issue was......heh. Ninja'd.

Last edited:

PlzBanMe

The furry mod
Staff member
Ember Moderator
Jul 27, 2016
Just about every forum for just about every game has a bunch of conflicting feedback. It's the nature of the beast.
That isn't the source of the problem. It's a matter of cause verses symptom.
When those in charge of development are clear and unified on the vision internally the outside feedback has a more measured impact. But when those in charge are split or at odds with each other on what to do then outside feedback can be very disorienting and lead to strange changes.

EDIT: aaaaand grummz just made it abundantly clear that in house was where the issue was......heh. Ninja'd.
What I am trying to say is internally they weren't sticking to anything. They were more concerned about good a game by community standards. They weren't concerned about what they found fun.

NitroMidgets

Tsi-Hu Hunter
Jul 27, 2016
Dupont, WA
I don't think they cared about anything other then what The9 thought. The steady drop in player base should have been all the feedback they required. When I asked why they were avoiding doing any survey to find out why people were stopping.

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Director of Marketing and Community
Jul 26, 2016
What I am trying to say is internally they weren't sticking to anything. They were more concerned about good a game by community standards. They weren't concerned about what they found fun.
Fair enough. I'd say that was true later on, after Grummz left. Before that there was an internal struggle based on the design preferences of a couple opposing internal forces. For example red 5 decided to add gear decay in 2013, which was not a feature commonly requested by the community. In fact when a couple people requested it the larger community were against it. Though, once announced, it became an important feature for many while it remained disliked by many others.

Jul 28, 2016
Florida
www.facebook.com
Honestly I'll have to wait on ANY sort of judgement for the time being until there's more of a "game". As for why FF seemed to fall apart, it wasn't entirely Mark's fault. You have to remember that there is the upper management that they had to listen to (The9) and what they said was what made it into the game. Ultimately they made the decisions and had Red5 do all the work and then when it was all said and done they made money off of it.

*EDIT* Grummz already basically said what I was getting to lol.

Rocket

Max Kahuna
Max Kahina
Jul 26, 2016
Australia
Yes. Even @Grummz can't escape this one. Please don't make me hunt for a link on the FF forums for that "What do you love about Warframe?" thread that he started.

Jul 27, 2016
Why did the game abandon that and go into grinding INSTANCES?
Servers could not handle such a big open world design. Technical limitations were reached. Instances provide a solution to that.

Why did it abandon that to go into arena eSport?
PVP was the very first mode in FireFall fyi.... they decided to add in PVE.

Why did it abandon player-driven narrative to... static, play-once story quests?
See above, technical limitations. Players did not like having content locked off due to melding collapses.

Why kill frame customization to become DotA-clone?
Not sure what you mean by this. I suspect balance issues is the reason. This game isn't a moba though.

That has already been answered in the indiegogo and petition pages.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ember-forums-website-art-videogames#/
https://www.change.org/p/crixa-labs-make-ember-a-spiritual-successor-to-firefall

I hope Ember will rise where Firefall... fell...
Yeah, we shall see.

NitroMidgets

Tsi-Hu Hunter
Jul 27, 2016
Dupont, WA
I think the shit show we all experienced already has taught everyone a few lessons. As long as feedback is welcomed and given consideration then we have a much better chance of things going off the rails and through a Chinese opium den.