Crixa RPG - Under Development!

Nizuul

Deepscanner
Ember Dev
Jul 26, 2016
Greater Seattle Area
Yes, you heard right. As Grummz announced in his latest Chief Chat, Crixa, the Space Opera RPG is back in development!

Hi everyone, I'm Nizuul, a game designer that's working closely with Grummz on the Crixa RPG project. I wanted to let you know that the game design is in full swing and I couldn't be more excited about its potential!

I recently added an update to the Crixa site to introduce myself, and to provide you with a few updates, so be sure to check it out. I'll be updating the site regularly, so I'd bookmark it if I were you, and check back often (be sure to join the mailing list too).

I'm big on communicating with the Em8er/Crixa Community, so let's talk some game mechanics! Place your comments here, or hit me up in Em8er Discord and let's chat about Crixa's game design.

Talk to ya soon,

Nizuul
@Nizuul for you Twitter peeps
:D

Last edited:

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Welcome to the community Nizuul, so glad to have you on board! I am a game consumer watching Grummz closely about the Crixa RPG and Em-8er projects :D Absolutely looking forward to any details you can let slip...er I mean carefully disseminate about the RPG. Are you using any pre-existing game systems as inspiration?

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Fantastic!

...actually I am not familiar with any of those so I guess it is research time for me.

Will we be able to purchase physical models and such directly to use on a table top or will you be providing 3D print files?

For the digital side I suggested in Discord that it would be cool for Crixa to have a presence on something like https://store.steampowered.com/app/286160/. I am uncertain about the monetization of that but perhaps a similar stand alone online Crixa game that allows for purchases?

Wyntyr

Omni Ace
Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Florida
I am very glad to hear that work on the RPG is going on! I too will have to peruse those particular tabletop rpg games as the only one I have some familiarity with is Traveler (and that's from a looooooong time ago....like decades ago...lol). My only real concern is Grummz working on this, a novel, and a video game all about the same time. I'm not saying it can't be done, or shouldn't be done, I'm just hesitant on the outcomes of each due to time, funding, etc. Thanks for taking the time to give the community additional info regarding this endeavor! :cool:

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Hello Nizuul like the crixi rpg update this got me thinking of how the crixia team would be like this team from mask with chroma suits would enter the building and do arm moments that only the team knew a secret code of some sort for safe passage to the top secret room!!!

A question for you what influences you the most do you still regard retro games highly in your choices?
Also do you have a mustache if so is it like your icon?

lastly if you were a real living and thinking mech would you be a biped or a quadruped?

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
Battletech! Out of that list that's all I've got, and like Wyntyr, decades ago in high school. Still though, looking forward to more info on it. Most of my tabletop experience comes from DnD 3.5. To follow the thought of Grummz multi tasking, I wonder if a supremely successful kickstarter will enable some of those part timers, who worked with him on firefall, would come over full time. If so, I don't see too much of an impact. That's a big 'if', i know, but still....

Jul 28, 2016
That's a great question EvilKitten.

Yes we are! When Grummz and I established the pillars of the game, we identified a few games we drew inspiration from -
  • Earth and Beyond
  • Traveller
  • Battletech
  • King of Tokyo
  • Star Wars Destiny
:D
I feel that D6's are too limiting in their results. I do hope that's one page you don't take from Traveller and Battletech. Polyhedral dice (D8s, D20s, even D4s - natural solids only please) are my preference.

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
It can be pretty damn complicated but one thing for sure is that a competent DM will make it a lot easier. As with most things in life, hands on is the best way. When I ran a campaign, I was pretty lenient because I wanted my friends to enjoy the story I had and the experience. If one if them was trying to be OP or break the campaign, simply made a DM call. I had one friend who literally acted out his character in the living room. Well it was funny until he shape shifted and tried to pick up one of the party members because he was doing so in the arena.....lol

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
I feel that D6's are too limiting in their results. I do hope that's one page you don't take from Traveller and Battletech. Polyhedral dice (D8s, D20s, even D4s - natural solids only please) are my preference.
It isn't D6's specifically so much as using multiple dice creates a bell curve of probabilities, vs rolling 1 die you have an equal chance of getting a 1 as any other number.

On a 2D6 roll you have a 6/26 chance of rolling a 7, versus a 1/26 chance of rolling a 12. This lets you plan for averages rather than hoping for random chance at every single role. If they wanted to do 2D10 for Crixa rather than D20 I'd be just as happy.

Nizuul

Deepscanner
Ember Dev
Jul 26, 2016
Greater Seattle Area
A question for you what influences you the most do you still regard retro games highly in your choices?
Also do you have a mustache if so is it like your icon?

lastly if you were a real living and thinking mech would you be a biped or a quadruped?
There’s a bit of an Old School Revival going on in the TTRPG space right now. I love it. I was just at GenCon and the Dungeon Crawl Classic room was PACKED! Players are flocking to these retro games in droves!

No I don’t have a circus strongman mustache, though I I know a gentleman that does!

I’d be a Biped MEK

Nizuul

Deepscanner
Ember Dev
Jul 26, 2016
Greater Seattle Area
How easy would it be for a newbie to learn the rules, and stuff? Never played a Tabletop RPG, but would be interested in participating at some point.
This is such an important question! I’ll be addressing this in my first update to everyone that signs up to be on the mailing list! Be sure to visit the Crixa site and sign up!

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
There’s a bit of an Old School Revival going on in the TTRPG space right now. I love it. I was just at GenCon and the Dungeon Crawl Classic room was PACKED! Players are flocking to these retro games in droves!

No I don’t have a circus strongman mustache, though I I know a gentleman that does!
That sounds like it is a hit, hope that crixa rpg would be like this too!

ok well when you next see gentle man with the mustache say hello to his mustache for me thanks.

What can we expect from the new crixa rpg and when will it be out same time as the em8er game ?

Jul 28, 2016
It isn't D6's specifically so much as using multiple dice creates a bell curve of probabilities, vs rolling 1 die you have an equal chance of getting a 1 as any other number.

On a 2D6 roll you have a 6/26 chance of rolling a 7, versus a 1/26 chance of rolling a 12. This lets you plan for averages rather than hoping for random chance at every single role. If they wanted to do 2D10 for Crixa rather than D20 I'd be just as happy.
Yes, I am aware that multiple dice produces a bell curve vs a linear "curve" for a single die. My point was that you get much finer control with percentile dice (2d20 of different colors read with one color being the 10s column and the other being the ones, but you knew that) and a variety of other polyhedrals for linear ranges, as opposed to being limited to either 1 - 6 for a linear range or a bell curve.

DinsdaleP13

NEW - SHIFTER
Jul 26, 2016
Arizona, U.S.A.
Hah. Like you're my boss.

Also, for future reference, there're edit and delete buttons if you want to do either of those.

Or you might just like typing out disregard. I'll admit, it is a fun word to say, if not type. Disregard. Disregard. You can almost type it out completely with just your left hand, if it wasn't for that pesky "i". Desregard. Hmmm. Easily typed with the left hand, but not quite as satisfying to say out loud. I've heard that stewardess is the longest single word you can type with just your left hand. This post is going no where, and if you've managed to read this far, congratulations. That's ten seconds of your life you're never getting back. Some day, you'll be laying on your death bed, cursing me for those twelve seconds you just lost. Sorry.