Video Update 9 - Grappling Hooks, Gliding and Glore (er, lore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faeryl

Omni Ace
Staff member
Community Manager
Kaiju Slayer
Jul 26, 2016
Planet Earth, USA, East Coast
discord.gg
Okay we have a big update up for Em8ER. Check it out!

"This week's update features: jetpacks, gliding, grappling hooks, beast mode, SMGs, and much more!
Don't forget the lore drop: Garrack the Firstclaimer at the end of the video!"

** AWESOMESAUCE FEATURES & VIDEO **
Razor. AMD. Epic Games. OH MY!
THIS ↑

In addition to that are my Giphy reactions to the video update . . .
AND

8 FOR EM-8ER :cool::cool::cool:

Wonder if it would translate well if we'd have music that would alternate. Speed up, as we'd enter combat or it'd slow down to lull the action, when a new wave of enemies are spawned or before it would return to normal pace.

We'd need to have a single soundtrack that would be composed as such to allow for seamless transition between differently-paced version of it. That would be impressive. And then expand on it. Eventually have different soundtracks for the different regions in the game-world, to distinguish them more.

HumanTrainingBot

D-Gater
Ark Liege
Oct 26, 2016
Guns, gliding, grappling hook, and going vertical look awesome. I'm excited for the melee-form and its beam weapon and ferro-fluid fur. The cloudy sky is exciting to see and I want to fly through it.

I would like to see some kind of large alert on the HUD whenever a Tsi-hu grabs our mech so that we get the subconscious message that we are no longer controlling the mech. I think this would help prevent most of the motion sickness resulting from unexpected changes in direction.

I have to say either stick with the old lore or explain a few more things:
  • Better explain that the Enshigi gave an ultimatum when they departed. The recklessness of the humans was in direct defiance of the Enshigi's command and so they responded without mercy. The humans were warned. They chose to ignore the warning. Essentially, I want you to justify the Enshigi's actions to the listener. The Enshigi were harsh, but that's part of their character and it sets up an obstacle to overcome in the future (where do the Gatestriders go now?)
  • What is the timeline? I gathered the following story from the video, but point 8 doesn't make sense. Please clarify this for me.
    1. Time 0: arrival in Black Zone (starting point of the main story in this lore drop).
    2. Several weeks later: start building return gate.
    3. Mentions that the return gate is completed sometime in the near future.
    4. Suddenly, we're back in time talking about the fate of Garrak's team and their homeworld without saying what that fate is.
    5. Jump even further back in time to explain the Black Zones.
    6. Jump forward in time back to "Time 0"
    7. Jump forward less than a week to the destruction of the Gatestriders' homeworld.
    8. Some unknown time after building the return gates (several weeks after "Time 0", yet seemingly soon after the destruction of the Gatestriders' homeworld (only one week after "Time 0") Garrak's team races towards return gate before it closes and the two gates disconnect.
      • On a side note, is movement instantaneous from one gate to the other or is there some kind of travel time or "hyperspace" dimension through which the ships travel after entering one of the gates and before exiting the other?
  • What is the relation between the Gatestriders, Garrak, the corporations, and Em-8er?
    • It seems that only Garrak is taking the blame right now. Are all Gatestriders blamed by the rest of humanity?
    • Garrak later finds Em-8er. Does she do this on her own? Is her discovery for and by the Gatestriders to find a new home? Or is this for a corporation that gave Garrak another chance?
    • Will the players be settling Em-8er for the Gatestriders or to extract resources for a corporation? Is Em-8er still inside a Black Zone or is that lore changing?
    • Who, other than Garrak, knows about the existence of Em-8er at the time when the players enter the game?
Is the updated lore being posted somewhere in text form? I'd like to read through it and watch the story grow as the game progresses.

Last edited:

Adrian

Terraformer
Jul 26, 2016
Brasov
Movement looks really cool.
Maybe it was already mentioned and i missed it or forgot, but will we have some sort of transportation for long distance travel? I really liked the transport shuttles in Firefall, loved getting on one and be able to check other players activities and admire the world while i traveled.
Thanks for updating us on the progress, looks great so far. Looking forward to the next updates.

P.S. I'd listen to an audiobook on EM-8ER read by Grummz.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
- Unreal and amd, does that mean should save up for an amd card in the future hmm
- The beast is very beastily when i see this it makes me think of
with its bladed legs and sweeping tail does look creepy cannot wait to see it in full motion!
- 12 peeps, source control this is getting really organized
- jetpack in the skies yesss just like the rocketeer and gliding down in style :cool:
what if the lightening could give you a short boost but too much lightening strikes end up well fried!!!
- Sub machine gun my fave to run and pew pew pew pewpepepwpewpwpeppwepwepwepw
- grappling hook would we be able to abseil with grappling hook off cliffs/buildings or even huge kaiju :O
- "Gatesrider First to dare, first to discover, first to name, first to claim .....and first to train choo choo"

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
I wonder if the human form will have the grapple hook or some kind of mini-jetpack like the one from ELEX? Or maybe both? *shrugs*

Also i really would like to see more off those weather effects and if the day night cycle has the moon showing up. ^^
The humans really only get a personal defense gun (light smg) when out of mechs. The idea is to get to your next mech as soon as possible.

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
Movement looks really cool.
Maybe it was already mentioned and i missed it or forgot, but will we have some sort of transportation for long distance travel? I really liked the transport shuttles in Firefall, loved getting on one and be able to check other players activities and admire the world while i traveled.
Thanks for updating us on the progress, looks great so far. Looking forward to the next updates.

P.S. I'd listen to an audiobook on EM-8ER read by Grummz.
Hehe tks. I'll keep trying to improve my "story voice." Dropships would be...pretty dang cool. But we don't have any vehicles planned until post launch. But we DO want more things post launch and a dropship might be one. I would love for it to be a support role and human pilotable...while we are making wishes.

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
Guns, gliding, grappling hook, and going vertical look awesome. I'm excited for the melee-form and its beam weapon and ferro-fluid fur. The cloudy sky is exciting to see and I want to fly through it.

I would like to see some kind of large alert on the HUD whenever a Tsi-hu grabs our mech so that we get the subconscious message that we are no longer controlling the mech. I think this would help prevent most of the motion sickness resulting from unexpected changes in direction.

I have to say either stick with the old lore or explain a few more things:
  • Better explain that the Enshigi gave an ultimatum when they departed. The recklessness of the humans was in direct defiance of the Enshigi's command and so they responded without mercy. The humans were warned. They chose to ignore the warning. Essentially, I want you to justify the Enshigi's actions to the listener. The Enshigi were harsh, but that's part of their character and it sets up an obstacle to overcome in the future (where do the Gatestriders go now?)
  • What is the timeline? I gathered the following story from the video, but point 8 doesn't make sense. Please clarify this for me.
    1. Time 0: arrival in Black Zone (starting point of the main story in this lore drop).
    2. Several weeks later: start building return gate.
    3. Mentions that the return gate is completed sometime in the near future.
    4. Suddenly, we're back in time talking about the fate of Garrak's team and their homeworld without saying what that fate is.
    5. Jump even further back in time to explain the Black Zones.
    6. Jump forward in time back to "Time 0"
    7. Jump forward less than a week to the destruction of the Gatestriders' homeworld.
    8. Some unknown time after building the return gates (several weeks after "Time 0", yet seemingly soon after the destruction of the Gatestriders' homeworld (only one week after "Time 0") Garrak's team races towards return gate before it closes and the two gates disconnect.
      • On a side note, is movement instantaneous from one gate to the other or is there some kind of travel time or "hyperspace" dimension through which the ships travel after entering one of the gates and before exiting the other?
  • What is the relation between the Gatestriders, Garrak, the corporations, and Em-8er?
    • It seems that only Garrak is taking the blame right now. Are all Gatestriders blamed by the rest of humanity?
    • Garrak later finds Em-8er. Does she do this on her own? Is her discovery for and by the Gatestriders to find a new home? Or is this for a corporation that gave Garrak another chance?
    • Will the players be settling Em-8er for the Gatestriders or to extract resources for a corporation? Is Em-8er still inside a Black Zone or is that lore changing?
    • Who, other than Garrak, knows about the existence of Em-8er at the time when the players enter the game?
Is the updated lore being posted somewhere in text form? I'd like to read through it and watch the story grow as the game progresses.
Ya I trimmed a lot because Story Time is only 5 mins. LOL you guys have me calling it "Story Time" instead of "Lore Drop" now. The short format made me miss describing some things.

You're not the only one who mentioned the need for a clearer sequence both before and after the home world destruction. Some people liked the willful violation of the blackzone rather than accident. I'm enjoying the feedback and it will help shape the final story.

Movement speed between gates isn't determined yet. But I like the idea of it take a little bit of time. Need to think it through.

Corporations sponsor gates and exploration. Humanity does blame the gatestriders. I think making the push into the blackzone more "willful" will help with that.

Em8ER was never in a blackzone. As far as who knows about Em8ER, its only the gatestriders right now.

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
Grappling achieved through encounters with Tsi-hu and their salvaged tech is brilliant. The gliding looks amazing! Nice to see the other things coming together for show and tell videos. And can I mention my opinion on this Garak female explorer being voiced by a certain someone? Because that gets me very excited.

Status
Not open for further replies.