Video Update 8 - Choose the THMPR Laugh

What laugh would you prefer as the default laugh of the THMPR

• Original Sinister Laugh (1:41 mark here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtZuyCfd7c0)

Votes: 83 33.2%
  • New Laugh Number 1

Votes: 75 30.0%
  • New Laugh Number 2

Votes: 19 7.6%
  • New Laugh Number 3

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • None of the above, make a new laugh!

Votes: 53 21.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fillmore

Kaiju Slayer
Ark Liege
Ember Dev
Kaiju Whisperer
Jul 26, 2016
Utah, USA
Glad to see everything is taking shape! :D - just a question, and forgive my ignorance, what's a vertical slice demo? (how is different from a normal demo?)

Keep up the awesome work guys!
"A vertical slice is a section of the game, perhaps 10 to 30 minutes, that is representative of what the final game will look, sound and play like: a bit of everything to a high standard. The vertical slice is an industry-wide practice in large scale game projects. Usually, it is put in front of the studio heads and marketing and a decision is made weather to fund it or not."
-- Source: http://www.hellblade.com/vertical-slice/

The vertical slice will be a polished demo of core gameplay. In Em8er's case, this will be a THMPR mining encounter.

PIghead Elderberry

Kaiju Slayer
JUMBO KAIJU SLAYER
Jun 4, 2017
CA USA
Requested Comments:

=====
Tsi-Hu Form

Looks good, with some caveats.

If he has pointy sharp spikes on his elbows which look like stabbing weapons, why are the things on his knees blunt? It seems to me that he should have some kind of kicking, kneeing, elbowing weapons all sharp if the elbow ones are sharp to begin to start. I know he is not the melee character, but since he has the chains he clearly is intending to pull things into him close.

If he has chains, why would he not then have sharp points on the knee things and feet to knee and stab his pulled in victims?

General question which this brings up: As he is not the melee form, what is going to happen in game when he pulls us into him with the chains and grapple? Will he shift to melee form before we reach him? If not, then what will happen?

=====
Plasma Cannon / Missile Swarm

Looking good with the two fire modes for Plasma Cannon.

I wonder how the missile swarm is going to to "feel" when used. The timing of the launch with the guidance as well as moving/running? Will we be stationary only when we use it? Etc. I can see it being hard to get it to feel right... but I have confidence it will be OK.

=====
Male Human

The start trun, run and stop run look really good to me. They capture the real world changing of inertia to get running, stay running, and then coming to a stop.

The Idle animation in my mind needs to have something more than just the guy looking like some kelp in a kelp forest moving with the waves. Can they guy move his hand periodically? Shuffle his feet? Shift his stance? No real human just stands with their feet planted and slithers like that... Our arms don't pulse up and down as we breath... etc..

The run with the start, run, stop is excellent - please make the idle as good!

=====
Thumper Sounds

Laugh 0 (sinister) of the 4 is my preferred laugh, but I vote for more to choose from as my vote.

Laugh 1 sounds the best of these three, but I am not too happy with it because it sounds too human and "small"

Laugh 2 sounds like it comes from an ant not a giant thumper!

Laugh 3 sounds like it comes from a pixie not a giant thumper!

=====
Lore Drop

I am not sure how to comment. It seems that we have multiple styles of art all mixed together visually which does not make sense. The lore story sounds good, however.

PlzBanMe

The furry mod
Staff member
Ember Moderator
Jul 27, 2016
Glad to see everything is taking shape! :D - just a question, and forgive my ignorance, what's a vertical slice demo? (how is different from a normal demo?)

Keep up the awesome work guys!
It is meant to show how a small section of the game will/might work. It isn't cut from the full game so it doesn't show exactly how the finished product will play and look. Everything needed for a proper THMPR mission should be in the build. Enemies, THMPR, shooting and everything else that can be expected. How ever not many if any unneeded gameplay elements will be in there. Crafting won't be in the vertical for example.

LegionPL

Apr 17, 2018
Hey i like the idea of some personality to the mech but what about different personalities.
If we were presented the "sinister" one, can we have the overly serious, logical and a bit intimidating one?
I bet some people would prefere it.
The best example i can think of if me3 geth juggernaut voices, i will present some here.

Drake84pl

Deepscanner
Jul 26, 2016
Poland
New Laugh Number 1 is the best in my opinion (2 and 3 are horrible), but I chose "None of the above, make a new laugh!" in the poll as I think it need's to be deeper, the original laugh is deep but not enough and it has too much of that robot noise. I think it should be something like the new robot in the Netflix Lost in Space series - deep with a little robot vibe to it.

Veckna

Deepscanner
Feb 11, 2017
UK
Cheers for the update. Looking good. The missiles being able to do an about turn and hit targets almost behind you was a surprise (that's fine by me, just didn't expect that lol). I'm guessing there's a finite number of targets that can be hit or the 360 no scope spin might become a thing when using them :)
I wonder how any destructible terrain (if it's a thing - just saw it in the weapon demo) is going to regenerate (or maybe it's mainly stuff the Tsi-Hu build rather than the 'normal' terrain) as you just know we players will take a perverse delight in 'actively remodelling with extreme prejudice' /innocentface so you might end up with a bit of a barren wasteland in some areas lol.

With saying the Thumper is a sort of pet for the player (I hadn't really looked at it that way but it makes sense) I think multiple customisation options would be the best route as it allows players to pick what suits them (might be an idea for monetisation for you guys as well - cosmetic skins/sound packs for the Thumper would be a good way to go down that route if needed - tiki themed Thumper + sound pack as a nod to Firefall?). At the least the option to select the Thumper laugh would be great - maybe basic colour schemes too (Chroma Thumper would be awesome)?

Thanks again for the update - great job and looking forward to seeing more as development progresses.

Despair

Death Reaper
Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Germany
www.jardras.de
Great update as always.

I really like the idea of having a rather mechanical laugh for the THMPR, but the last 2 were a bit...underwhelming for a giant robot like this. R2D2 from the Star Wars movies might sound like it. The sinister, first laugh is still my favorite but now I really want one with a deep, mighty voice.

Guns get people to join the game. It's a smart idea to do them now. Can't say much now because they are still in the making but I like the purple ball xD

The running and idle animation is great, no additional tweaking needed in my opinion. Just an idea on my part: INSERT the Naruto running (You know...the one with your arms behind your back while running) as a store item later. I would instantly buy it xD

Status
Not open for further replies.