Status
Not open for further replies.

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
Happy Friday everyone!

We have some more work in progress shots of the Tsi-Hu humanoid. This time we are focusing on the head and face and upper body. We wanted to create that "alien beast yet intelligent" look we've all been discussing with the community.

The "hair" on the Tsi-Hu humanoid are meant to mimic the hair on the beast form that they shapeshift into. Right now we are modeling the hair, but if we get time, we want to explore using a shader to create moving, morphing shapes of spikes like ferrofluid.

Also this weekend, JoeSolo will be streaming the BEAST mode modeling. @HeineSnow kindly provided the base model that we are scultpting into its final form.

Joe has a new microphone that he swears sounds "really good" so our past audio issues should be history. The stream is on Sunday, 6PM-8PM! This time he will be dual streaming it to his personal channel as well as the new, official Em-8ER Twitch Channel.

To catch Joe this Sunday, 6-8pm, find us on Twitch here: https://go.twitch.tv/em8ermpw

You can also watch Joe via his personal Youtube if that's better for you: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSieVxJhO1EbiRVn3XfYerA

See you on Sunday!

Faeryl

Omni Ace
Staff member
Community Manager
Kaiju Slayer
Jul 26, 2016
Planet Earth, USA, East Coast
discord.gg
I'm lovin' it so far!

I'd like to make one suggestion: on the rounded diamond-shaped knob on top of his head (see first pic, top view) ... what about making it more of an angular shape? Looks just a bit odd in that first pic, looking straight on.

;)

Terricon4

Base Commander
Base Commander
Lookin good.
Right now we are modeling the hair, but if we get time, we want to explore using a shader to create moving, morphing shapes of spikes like ferrofluid.
If time ends up being a limit, then some "simple" morph targets with different positions/adjustments on them might give the flowing/moving/merging/splitting effect for relatively little time. It likely wont be as good, but making a few morph targets and plugging them into a timer to constantly be shifting their values around should be a relatively quick/easy fallback to making the back of the heads spikes flow and move (depending on how exactly you end up texturing these, if each one is very visually distinct in its texture from the base/back of the head then it might be limited to just scaling/warping rather than merging/grouping some together with this apraoch).

Just be sure to only apply these if that character is loaded to a lower (better quality) LOD (client side). Or just make the lower LODs not even have the morph targets more likely.

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
I see what you are saying, Faeryl, my opinion is there will be more texturing coming in on that and it will look fine. And war paint!

Ferrofluid is sick! I was going to ask what kind of animation their 'hair' would have but the answer is amazing! The intelligent look is clearly coming into view. Sweet update!

PIghead Elderberry

Kaiju Slayer
JUMBO KAIJU SLAYER
Jun 4, 2017
CA USA
Side view (profile) really shows the 'face' and brings out the desired aspects of brooding smart alien, the other views don't do it quite the same justice.

I see the eyes, mouth, chin... in profile... not in front... ... ...

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
It has a nice aliens look to it the upper cranium connected to a wise tortoise with a goatee descendants of the ancient Egyptians with spikey hairs of sonic the hedghog finsished off with elf ears!

Now all i wonder is how fast could it move and what noises it would make?

Status
Not open for further replies.