Last Chance - FF Credit Program. Red 5 Studios Closing Firefall Tomorrow, July 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 17, 2017
www.youtube.com
o/ unfortunately I didn't see this email as it went to spam :(

I was one of the few lucky folks to be asked by Red 5 to come down to Firefall's first showing at Pax East as part of the community. Had the pleasure of meeting @Grummz and the rest of the crew at Red 5. Really excited by what Em8er can be :D

Xeevis

Max Kahuna
Max Kahuna
Forum Tech
Jul 26, 2016
www.emberbot.com
o/ unfortunately I didn't see this email as it went to spam :(
(pic)
I was one of the few lucky folks to be asked by Red 5 to come down to Firefall's first showing at Pax East as part of the community. Had the pleasure of meeting @Grummz and the rest of the crew at Red 5. Really excited by what Em8er can be :D
You can still claim the reward, as long as FF forums are running.

As for the "spam". It's because many disgruntled users flagged emails from FF forums as spam, Gmail uses collective hate to blacklist particular senders for everybody. Some even went to imgur and reported images used in PMs so they were taken down as spam too. So much effort to prevent other people from claiming free credit ... :rolleyes:

Thunderstrike

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Aug 29, 2016
Not sure if you're just being snarky, but I don't think the issue was that people didn't want others to claim credit on Em-8ER so much as those messages actually were spam. First definition of "spam" on Google:
Spam:
1) irrelevant or unsolicited messages sent over the Internet, typically to a large number of users, for the purposes of advertising, phishing, spreading malware, etc.
This is likely going to be an unpopular opinion, but while I understand the need to get the word out for Em-8ER it's also a bit ridiculous to pretend that people aren't going to be annoyed when you send out actual spam. You guys have been doing this for a year now and I'm not surprised that people are flagging advertisements for a crowdfunded game sent by spambots on an unmoderated dead forum.

Last edited:

Xeevis

Max Kahuna
Max Kahuna
Forum Tech
Jul 26, 2016
www.emberbot.com
Not sure if you're just being snarky, but I don't think the issue was that people didn't want others to claim credit on Em-8ER so much as those messages actually were spam. First definition of "spam" on Google:

This is likely going to be an unpopular opinion, but while I understand the need to get the word out for Em-8ER it's also a bit ridiculous to pretend that people aren't going to be annoyed when you send out actual spam. You guys have been doing this for over a year now and I'm not surprised that people are flagging advertisements for a crowdfunded game sent by spambots on an unmoderated dead forum.
Popular, unpopular no such thing here. As with many things it's simply matter of opinion and goes equally both ways. I fully understand your concern and opinion on the matter and don't feel like we need to convince each other to think otherwise. Everyone is free to voice their opinions and I consider healthy philosophical pluralism and ability to discuss it without offensive or demeaning overtone as beneficial to communication and relations.

Benefits are clear with thousands of new members and crowdfunding going over the roof, but this also has a logical side to it. If you subscribe to email notifications on discussion platforms, you do so with knowledge that you'll most likely get plenty of irrelevant and unsolicited emails. By marking emails from generic senders like FF forums as spam, you are saying "I subscribed to this platforms, but I don't want to receive communication from it and others shouldn't either", that's how Gmail spam filter works. It's flawed logic, because you might have subscribed to it to receive it, but can't, because others decided for you instead of simply unsubscribing themselves. That's why you can see hundreds of people around saying they are glad they looked into spam folders. They wanted that email to land in inbox, but google denied their wishes on opinions of others.

Taking down imgur images did nothing to lessen number of messages, it just replaced relevant images people clicked to see with broken images. This was nothing more than a spiteful action. Also saying that this was going on for over a year is a bit harsh. To my knowledge 2 PMs were sent, first PM was received by a very small fraction of users, second was more widespread and targeted specifically to offer reward to eligible accounts, not entirely irrelevant. You get 20 times more useless emails if you subscribe to popular thread, do you also mark those as spam if thread's responders aren't staying on topic? Or do you just unsubscribe from it?

Let me just say many responded to those PMs and are grateful they were made aware of Em-8ER, given free credit and can take part in this project from the very beginning and everything comes at a cost, question is whether it's worth that cost and effort. Everyone can judge that themselves. Personally I think it was worth it and this project benefited from it while hurting no one.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017
www.youtube.com

This is likely going to be an unpopular opinion, but while I understand the need to get the word out for Em-8ER it's also a bit ridiculous to pretend that people aren't going to be annoyed when you send out actual spam. You guys have been doing this for a year now and I'm not surprised that people are flagging advertisements for a crowdfunded game sent by spambots on an unmoderated dead forum.
I personally am glad I found the email - I don't consider it spam. But, yes by the definition it is considered unsolicited email for anyone who is not a founder. Considering Firefall essentially was a sham and tbh really let us early backers down - I think it was okay.

I'm already seeing familiar faces here :)

Tragedy

ARES Operator
Jul 26, 2016
California, America
The unforgivable thing 1.6 did was the removal of alt-fires.
The removal of content in general was a completely ridiculous decision that nobody aside from Qihoo360, CloudChaser and the Mystery PVP Designer agreed with. Alt-fires became redundant in that iteration anyways, but for what it's worth I would've liked to have kept them even if they were superfluous.

There were a lot of changes, and many of them were difficult to adjust to initially - but once the dust had settled, version 1.6 had the strongest end-game of any of Firefalls iterations, and it was a hell of a lot of fun to be a part of -- and I pity anyone who didn't get to experience everything 1.6 had to offer.

The biggest mistake with version 1.6 was the poorly adjusted primary weapons, most frames primary weapons became completely useless and especially for 1.3 players this was a massive change that I don't think would be easy to adjust to - however, as I previously stated - it was no different in beta, hence 1.6 was a lot closer to beta than it was to 1.3.

What I'm trying to say is: 1.6 gets a lot of flak when it really wasn't all that bad.

vehemon

Jul 6, 2017
I skipped a couple of pages in the thread but one thing that had me excited was that Orson Scott Card was a part of the original Firefall story. Ender's Game is my favorite book and i've read it 20+ times and the story of Bean is crazy good. I was hoping at least a piece of that story telling was injected into the core of Firefall.

Jul 24, 2017
Crap , looks like i missed out , hadn't really payed much attention to Firefall when i had to move last year. and i missed the deadline for this by like 2 weeks dammit all.

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Director of Marketing and Community
Jul 26, 2016
Everyone, this program is closed. Due to Firefalls forums being taken down, we no longer have access to what we need to verify peoples accounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.