About melee weapons

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
YEAH. I'M MORE THE GUY THAT'LL USE MELEE FOR "OH SHT. WTF. GET OFF ME." SITUATION.

JUST WACK, PUNCH OR KICK THEM BACK INTO THE RANGE WHERE I CAN SHOOT THEM IN THE FACE AGAIN.

I THINK MELEE WAS, IN THE BEGINNING, INTENDED FOR SITUATION WHERE ENEMY GET TO CLOSE. AND THOSE MUTATED FERAL RABBITS ARE MELEE FIGHTERS.

YOU CAN VIEW THOSE DUAL WIELDING NINJA SUCKERS AS SOME SORT OF A ANTI-RABBIT-MUTANT. SPECIALIZED IN DODGING THEIR ATTACKS AND KEEPING THEM FROM MUNCHING MY PRECIOUS SYBIAN.

DeDa4oK

Firstclaimer
Mar 10, 2017
Russia, Moscow
It is clear that the main weapon is always the main one, and nobody will replace it. I often used secondary and melee weapons to clear a large number of mobs if there were no ammo left in the main weapon, or I want to save them for a battle with a tougher opponent.

I do not want to see a melee weapon as an ability that after one hit goes into cooldown for 3-5 seconds. Many will say, I will use a secondary weapon, why do I need a melee weapon. But what if you run out of ammo in all weapons and all the abilities will be on cooldown? Infinite ammo in secondary weapons is nonsense.

I think this is the best option:
- The main weapon is unique, it will be used most often.
- Secondary weapons are an additional option in the battle, you want to use, use it, do not want to use, do not. (I repeat, infinity ammo are nonsense)
- Melee weapons are the same, you wanted to use it, use it. (But with the possibility of a switch to it, not as a ability)

How do you like this idea?

And forgive me if someone does not understand what I wrote, I do not know English well.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
I like the idea of having the option to choose what weapon you want some prefer melee i think there is a satisfying challenge of melee combat. Guns will be the main for sure sometimes i like to change it up and run around chop chop chop as a way to distract and let the others pew pew at it.

Depending on how you approach the situation too what if a group all wanted to melee it could be effective for one type but be useless against another. A combo of both is always good i do like melee and the hmg :D

I do not want to see a melee weapon as an ability that after one hit goes into cooldown for 3-5 seconds. Many will say, I will use a secondary weapon, why do I need a melee weapon. But what if you run out of ammo in all weapons and all the abilities will be on cooldown? Infinite ammo in secondary weapons is nonsense.
yes agreed

Dec 27, 2016
LV-426
I'm in favor of having 'melee' as a situational and optional COMPLEMENT and not as a playstyle by itself for this game.

Weapons I'd like: energy knife (average), energy wrist-blade (faster, lower DPH), energy bayonet (slower, longer reach, wider arc), energy gauntlet (short reach, slowest because of 'charge up' time but with knock down/back effect).
Those weapons 'power up' (visually) only when used.

I wouldn't like to see players carrying a huge hammer or 2 handed sword or halberd. That's interesting but it's stuff for another game.

PIghead Elderberry

Kaiju Slayer
JUMBO KAIJU SLAYER
Jun 4, 2017
CA USA
I wouldn't like to see players carrying a huge hammer or 2 handed sword or halberd. That's interesting but it's stuff for another game.
I agree with that! I think in the time of faster than light travel, humans likely will have moved beyond sword fighting outside of competitions at Sunken Harbor... R.I.P.

HERESY! I want to fucking carry a hammer and a ballistic shield and fucking solo a CAT4! (the latter part rather being based on skill and not on equip lol)
i would even sacrifice the main weapon for that, as long as i got a high calibre pistol as back up for the diiiiiiiire situations

Dec 27, 2016
LV-426
HERESY! I want to fucking carry a hammer and a ballistic shield and fucking solo a CAT4! (the latter part rather being based on skill and not on equip lol)
i would even sacrifice the main weapon for that, as long as i got a high calibre pistol as back up for the diiiiiiiire situations
You sadist! :D

its not about sadism but style :p but, yeah, im kinda a sadist.

But some melee suggestions:
Tesla sword, a normal physical sword with some extra damage through electro shocks
Energy Sword, deals energy damage, looks like a katana (drains energy)
Battle hammer, a two handed (one handed for heavy) melee hammer
Stabber, light one handed knife

CoolHandle

Firstclaimer
Ark Liege
Jan 26, 2017
Shooting will account for the majority of the action, but I could see light frames flying up to the shield gens on big Kaiju and using melee weapons to knock out the generators since melee should bypass their shields, too. Maybe planting shaped charges as well?

Or sneaking up on heavily shielded isolated humanoid Tsi-Hu (snipers or mortar/machine gun nests, for example) and melee-ing them before they can react. If stealth modules are a thing, this could be pretty effective. The third person mode in the game would probably make melee a bit more fun, too.

In a PvE game, does including melee diminish the experience for those who choose to stay back and shoot? I mean, I hate playing against Genji, but I wouldn't mind if he was slicing up some AI opponents.

Jul 27, 2016
Shooting will account for the majority of the action, but I could see light frames flying up to the shield gens on big Kaiju and using melee weapons to knock out the generators since melee should bypass their shields, too. Maybe planting shaped charges as well?

Or sneaking up on heavily shielded isolated humanoid Tsi-Hu (snipers or mortar/machine gun nests, for example) and melee-ing them before they can react. If stealth modules are a thing, this could be pretty effective. The third person mode in the game would probably make melee a bit more fun, too.

In a PvE game, does including melee diminish the experience for those who choose to stay back and shoot? I mean, I hate playing against Genji, but I wouldn't mind if he was slicing up some AI opponents.
While it doesn't diminish the experience directly, including it to the point that it's fleshed out, has different damage animations from just shooting enemies, and making it viable and engaging to use detracts from development that could be used on other things such as more interesting enemies/kaiju, a better war, etc. I'd like to see melee as a last resort type thing, or, if you're a dual-wielding light, a niche fighting style. Little more.

Degiance

Deepscanner
Jul 5, 2017
Finland
degiance.deviantart.com
There is always point in a war or almost all wars where the situation is dire or someone just snaps (goes berserk and runs up at the enemy camp and scalps whole lot of enemy combatants and making this rather "funky" necklace leading to a discharge and never be mentioned again.) where melee is warranted and definetly required.
I do like the "Oh shit" moments but like it was mentioned they only melee temporarily and shapeshift for the kill and get stronger and stronger from each kill. Which to me sounds more of a "Move your ass!" situation that gets upgraded to "Oh shit!" and moments later gets turned in to "OH! Dear mother of GOD!" situation.

I just keep returning to this line:"The Tsi-Hu are NPCs controlled by the server AI. They wage war
not by script, but by AI and simulation like in an RTS." then someone mentioned that the AI could learn the general way we play and adapt to our playstyle. Considering that and if its true and it does happen... Im going to need to have a wild card playstyle in back pocket so im not turned in to a predictable target dummie except the target dummies would be snickering at me:"You should have stayed at the firing range!"

What comes to my personal preferences... Sometimes i couldn't even hit a barn with a laser guided missle yet alone a gun with recoil and those are the times when i go slightly nutty and decide:"Hell with it" zig-zag and bob and weave like a wildman's Dempsey roll. It is riskier but it can be as rewarding as pulling of a miracle shot out of a impossible position or location or using a gasoline container as a big ass slingshot (or flail or wrecking ball) using the helicopters grappling hook to take down a entire building.
If the omniframes are designed from the start to not have any pecticular role and the players are allowed to get creative and create their own personal fighting style, i'd hate myself for trying to diminish the destructive creativity of some people.

Also melee enabling weapons would be nice like the grappling gun from Hellgate: London so you can either get pulled towards the mob or pull the mob towards you. (If there is like a charge melee hit functionality just imagine snatching one of those small kaiju critters with that grappling gun and then with a modified Mick Foley's Barbie baseball bat hitting them with a fully charged swing)
Or a net gun... After that the suggestions get ridiculous, i would prefer the grappling gun mostly for those melee situations and maybe if it could be used like in Just Cause to pull yourself up somewhere not that pulling objects stuff for exploration purposes.

There is always point in a war or almost all wars where the situation is dire or someone just snaps (goes berserk and runs up at the enemy camp and scalps whole lot of enemy combatants and making this rather "funky" necklace leading to a discharge and never be mentioned again.) where melee is warranted and definetly required.
I do like the "Oh shit" moments but like it was mentioned they only melee temporarily and shapeshift for the kill and get stronger and stronger from each kill. Which to me sounds more of a "Move your ass!" situation that gets upgraded to "Oh shit!" and moments later gets turned in to "OH! Dear mother of GOD!" situation.

I just keep returning to this line:"The Tsi-Hu are NPCs controlled by the server AI. They wage war
not by script, but by AI and simulation like in an RTS." then someone mentioned that the AI could learn the general way we play and adapt to our playstyle. Considering that and if its true and it does happen... Im going to need to have a wild card playstyle in back pocket so im not turned in to a predictable target dummie except the target dummies would be snickering at me:"You should have stayed at the firing range!"

What comes to my personal preferences... Sometimes i couldn't even hit a barn with a laser guided missle yet alone a gun with recoil and those are the times when i go slightly nutty and decide:"Hell with it" zig-zag and bob and weave like a wildman's Dempsey roll. It is riskier but it can be as rewarding as pulling of a miracle shot out of a impossible position or location or using a gasoline container as a big ass slingshot (or flail or wrecking ball) using the helicopters grappling hook to take down a entire building.
If the omniframes are designed from the start to not have any pecticular role and the players are allowed to get creative and create their own personal fighting style, i'd hate myself for trying to diminish the destructive creativity of some people.

Also melee enabling weapons would be nice like the grappling gun from Hellgate: London so you can either get pulled towards the mob or pull the mob towards you. (If there is like a charge melee hit functionality just imagine snatching one of those small kaiju critters with that grappling gun and then with a modified Mick Foley's Barbie baseball bat hitting them with a fully charged swing)
Or a net gun... After that the suggestions get ridiculous, i would prefer the grappling gun mostly for those melee situations and maybe if it could be used like in Just Cause to pull yourself up somewhere not that pulling objects stuff for exploration purposes.
well, i think the AI will only adapt to the broad playstyles and stats, so if you got many AoEers it will throw a different mix into the fight than when you got many DoTers or Tanks or Single-target damagers.

Degiance

Deepscanner
Jul 5, 2017
Finland
degiance.deviantart.com
Never really understood why someone would charge in for a melee without being ordered to while there is a clear firing line being put up. You go by the sides or from the back keeping your head down or actually be patient enough till your melee skills are required, usually by someone who "spray'n'pray" type who hope they hit something and then cry for heaven and hell when something is closing in and isn't dropping dead.

I gotta agree there to some degree, i mean if someone doesn't understand few basic manouvers they deserve to get shot a few times.

too stupid to switch target when a melee player is rushing it
Some people are stupid and slow that way and rather blame the melee whos already engaged in battle while the ranged guys are still trying to learn to aim between the multiple other targets surrounding the melee. (You would think people would be gratefull for those crazy guys, it's like a shooting gallery forming around that melee, pick your target and fire xD)

if everyone is scared enough of melee, will we naturally group a little closer together for safety?
Good point but that circle the wagon stuff very rarely works* and it's a sure way to get encirceled or be pushed back over and over again. Especially when the enemy will charge in for the kill and if it manages to kill someone they become stronger after each kill. (Unless you have some pretty damn big guns, to quote John Crichton:"Either you stop picking fights or get a bigger damn gun!" or mines or something with a proximity sensor to make a proper killing field type of thing. )
*Unless you were thinking off something more controlled where the enemy is comming from one point you can choke off and you can just dig in and pick em apart one by one.

Nalessa

Commander
Jan 6, 2017
Belgium
It's already said that the Kaiju demolish us in melee, so not gonna happen, no matter how much you want it.

At best in Faufau you would scanhammer some random enemies sometimes just for funsies, but the VAST majority you'd use your Laser HMG or Plasma cannon or Bio crossbow, and it should be the same in Em-8er.
The emphasis in both Faufau and Em-8er lies in skilled shooting, not skilled hacking and slashing.

Jul 27, 2016
never say never lol, i normal CAT0 is melee fodder, and tsi-hu suck in melee, and ya know what?
I- GONNA- SHOW- YA- WHAT- MELEE- CAN- DO!!!
I'LL MAKE A CAT4 MA TROPHY AND EVERY TITAN HUNTER MA BITCH!
FUCK CAT4, GONNE MELEE SOLO DAT SHIT.
We suck in melee, not the Tsi-Hu. The Tsi-Hu shred us up close.